Windrush Deportation

HTG

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm fairly certain that the application says that if you submit false information your passport is invalid. 

It would be interesting to hear more details about this. I have the feeling we only have half the story. 

He was 14 years old, his parents would have done the talking. And the Home Office haven't come up with any evidence. Why not raise the passport issue when he was leaving the country rather than waiting till he was abroad? You're sounding more like Trump every day.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

He was 14 years old, his parents would have done the talking. And the Home Office haven't come up with any evidence. Why not raise the passport issue when he was leaving the country rather than waiting till he was abroad? You're sounding more like Trump every day.

As I said we don't have the full story. There is obviously a lot more too this. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If they've gone to the bother of understanding his original ethnicity, it probably shouldn't have been beyond them to identify his correct current address. On something as critical as removing citizenship, it might also be useful to secure confirmation of receipt of such a notice rather than treating it with the same degree of importance as a fucking postcard. 

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:59, MixuFixit said:

This doesn't strike me as value for money

If your from a first world and predominantly white country then no you don't really need it. but if you're from Africa, the Caribbean or most of Asia then you need a fully fledged pre arranged visa to travel pretty much anywhere even just for a short trip , they're both expensive and time consuming and can are often refused on to those who don't have a lot of money for that reason alone.  The UK also allows you to keep your orginal citenzenship when you get granted your uk passport,  it is very much worth the money for a lot of people

9 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

If your from a first world and predominantly white country then no you don't really need it. but if you're from Africa, the Caribbean or most of Asia then you need a fully fledged pre arranged visa to travel pretty much anywhere even just for a short trip , they're both expensive and time consuming and can are often refused on to those who don't have a lot of money for that reason alone.  The UK also allows you to keep your orginal citenzenship when you get granted your uk passport,  it is very much worth the money for a lot of people

I've traveled through work to most places and yes Visa's are time consuming, Libya eg was a trip to London an overnight stay and a queue first thing in the morning at the embassy and then no guarantee of an issue that day.

I've never found it to be too expensive, the most I paid for a Visa was $90 USD cash at the Mexican London embassy, of course travel and accommodation is extra,  most are reasonably priced but always time constrictive, Singapore insisted on six months max and then a trip across the causeway to Malaysia for a few hours and then renewal, for most countries you have to keep a close eye on your expiry date otherwise it is a major problem at the airport on departure and can be costly depending on the country.

Edited by SandyCromarty

12 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I've traveled through work to most places and yes Visa's are time consuming, Libya eg was a trip to London an overnight stay and a queue first thing in the morning at the embassy and then no guarantee of an issue that day.

I've never found it to be too expensive, the most I paid for a Visa was $90 USD cash at the Mexican London embassy, of course travel and accommodation is extra,  most are reasonably priced but always time constrictive, Singapore insisted on six months max and then a trip across the causeway to Malaysia for a few hours and then renewal, for most countries you have to keep a close eye on your expiry date otherwise it is a major problem at the airport on departure and can be costly depending on the country.

So think of all that for a family of 4 perhaps travelling from the uk to france for a holiday, wedding or family get together or something like that, it's something us first world folks never really give a great deal of consideration to. even the hardest of hard brexits are unlikely to lead to that.

You can have a look online and see the list of countries whos citizens require a visa to visit the uk for any reason even if its just for a weekend , and the criteria required to be accepted for one ( as a general rule, if a countries citizens need a visa they will also need one to visit the EU  north America in fact most of the world) it is out of the reach of a good number of people .

17 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

So think of all that for a family of 4 perhaps travelling from the uk to france for a holiday, wedding or family get together or something like that, it's something us first world folks never really give a great deal of consideration to. even the hardest of hard brexits are unlikely to lead to that.

You can have a look online and see the list of countries whos citizens require a visa to visit the uk for any reason even if its just for a weekend , and the criteria required to be accepted for one ( as a general rule, if a countries citizens need a visa they will also need one to visit the EU  north America in fact most of the world) it is out of the reach of a good number of people .

It's quite simple to go for a visa as you just present yourself to an embassy or Consul with your filled in application with your passport, lots nowadays do it online, the United States for example who have the strictest immigration operates an ESTA type visitor visa which you complete online for a fee of $14.

There is no visa requirement for France or any EU country if you are a citizen of an EU country.

Believe me unless you have a criminal record there is no hindrance for anyone in this world to travel to other countries, the only and probably main reason that people have difficulty is the cost of the airfare. 

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

It's quite simple to go for a visa as you just present yourself to an embassy or Consul with your filled in application with your passport, lots nowadays do it online, the United States for example who have the strictest immigration operates an ESTA type visitor visa which you complete online for a fee of $14.

There is no visa requirement for France or any EU country if you are a citizen of an EU country.

Believe me unless you have a criminal record there is no hindrance for anyone in this world to travel to other countries, the only and probably main reason that people have difficulty is the cost of the airfare. 

Yes this applies to you and I, assuming you are also a first world citizen, The USA which you have used as an example only allows the online esta for citizens from around  35 countries, consiting of the EU japan austrailia new zealand and a handfull of others, the rest have to apply for a tourist or business visa , at the embassy in person with a cost, the also have to prove strong enough ties to their home country, ie a proper salaried job, a house , bank account utility bills, family dependents etcetc  and prove they have enough money to cover the cost of their trip. the onus is on the applicant to prove that they intend to leave the country at the end of their trip , not the other way round, those who fail to provide enough evidence which is either ties or finiances will be assumed to be at high risk of overstaying illegally  and will be denied, a practice the UK controversially but none the less frequently also employs.  passports are not all equal, you can check the power rating of a countries passport online if you are so interested.  For non first world citizens it is not simply a case of jumping on a plane for a long weekend somewhere.

i'm not here to de-rail the thread so ill leave it at that, a family who has migrated legally to the uk and stayed to be granted leave to remain ( a strange a confusing term that means being allowed to stay here as long as you want, unless the home office pull the rug from under you like some of these people ) will find their travel to any other countries just a restrictive as if they were at home, a Nigerian living in London would still require a visa to go to the Schengen area or the usa.   

Long story short, those with the means to do so will apply for brittish citizenship as soon as theyv met the criteria to do so