Windrush Deportation

HTG

Deportation flight is due to leave tomorrow taking  released "foreign" offenders to Jamaica. The deportees seem to include a number of people who came to the UK as children. One of them is 23 now, served just over 7 months of 15 months in prison for a Class A offence and has been in this country since he was 5. 

It's difficult to believe that any govt minister thinks deportation of this nature is "reasonable, proportionate and something the British people would expect us to do for foreign criminals" for someone who was in no position to choose the UK as their destination when they were 5. 

ETA - the offence was 5 years ago. 

Edited by HTG

Wouldn't call a 23 year old one of the Windrush Generation mind you but it does seem a shameful piece of nonsense from the Tories. As you would expect obviously. They know fine well the people this will affect, and the people who are against this treatment of people, aren't gonna vote for them anyway.

25 minutes ago, HTG said:

Deportation flight is due to leave tomorrow taking  released "foreign" offenders to Jamaica. The deportees seem to include a number of people who came to the UK as children. One of them is 23 now, served just over 7 months of 15 months in prison for a Class A offence and has been in this country since he was 5. 

It's difficult to believe that any govt minister thinks deportation of this nature is "reasonable, proportionate and something the British people would expect us to do for foreign criminals" for someone who was in no position to choose the UK as their destination when they were 5. 

The Conservative party know their audience - saw this on Newsnight last week with David Lammy arguing with a "common sense" representative of the Brexit party as the Conservative's wouldn't send anyone to be represent them.

I'm in the "cruel and unreasonable punishment" camp but it's where we've been heading for quite a while now with Tory Ministers like Javid & Petel not softening the "nasty" party. 

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it?

It is.

Can't imagine many people would think deportation is fair for somebody who came at 5 and has a (single?) drug conviction at the young age of 17. But I can see why people would ask why should the country host foreign nationals who came as adults and have serious/serial convictions. Although it's also not very fair to expect some pretty chaotic and impoverished countries to try to cope with dangerous people that were formed here.

Australia famously did this with Archie Mad Dog McCafferty back in the 90s.

Deporting adult foreign national criminals should be standard. Obviously people who came here as children present an issue and there should be legislation to deal with that. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the government were setting up a clash with the supreme court here (again).

3 hours ago, HTG said:

How can they be classed as foreigners if they are British subjects ??? surely that's totally illegal??

Strange to see so many defend these people.

typically they isolate themselves from normal society, get educated in a life of crime, form gangs and take drugs. When they have lived their whole lives in that environment I’m not sure how much we can expect them to contribute to this county.

Sorry, got carried away talking about the cabinet, forgot there’s a different standard for rich white guys.

19 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

Imagine being so bitter about not getting your own way in politics that you want to keep rapists in the country emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Do you believe that someone who came to this country at the age of 5 and served 7 months of jail time 5 years ago should be deported? You don't think that this sort of response is heavy handed?

I've no issue with the deportation of those who came here as adults. I have an issue about not accepting responsibility as a society for those who have been brought up and educated here. 

I fully appreciate that you're one of the biggest slavering c***s on the entire forum though so I'm not holding out for anything other than another one of your usual cringe inducing responses. 

This isn't going to lose them any votes and has little to do with Windrush which was shameful.

Nobody can really be arguing to keep serious violent criminals in Britain? 

That said, if relatively minor offenders are being kicked out simply because of the colour that is a completely different story.