Pyramid

7 minutes ago, mcruic said:

But the best way to move forward is surely to forget how much of a hash certain people made of things, and concentrate on having feeder leagues of roughly equal strength. Otherwise, you get situations where lots of good teams have to wait maybe 3 or 4 years to get to the level they should be at now (like in the Lowland League, where the influx of new SFA members means that several of the better teams will be stuck in the Lowland League for years when they are better than many teams in SPFL2 already), caused by unnatural bottlenecks at the top and bottom of these leagues.  There should be 2 up 2 down to/from SPFL2.

Not the only one to make that argument. Notice the edits above.

Tier 6 in 2020-21 is going to be EoSFL v. SoSFL v. WoSFL. That's not changing unless something truly dramatic up the chain with the SPFL takes place. Otherwise that's what it is and those leagues aren't discussing anything different to that.

WoSFL clubs have to get licenced, play the actual games, establish their structure long term and then there will come a change.

Yes - let's hope most of the clubs can get themselves sorted sooner rather than later.

I'd like to see some effort to get the amateur leagues into some sort of a system also (with the opportunity to rise through a decent structure if they desire/are able, with preservation of most of the amateur leagues in their current form - so no real change except they'd be attached rather than detached).

1 minute ago, mcruic said:

Yes - let's hope most of the clubs can get themselves sorted sooner rather than later.

I'd like to see some effort to get the amateur leagues into some sort of a system also (with the opportunity to rise through a decent structure if they desire/are able, with preservation of most of the amateur leagues in their current form - so no real change except they'd be attached rather than detached).

I don't think we'll see amateur leagues get added anytime soon. Its very much every club for themself right now. Which will see a small sprinkling of amateurs move into the pyramid leagues. We've also seen pyramid league teams maintain or create amateur sides as part of their overall set up.

So there are some informal links already, but for the time being the pyramid/junior leagues serve a different purpose to the amateurs. One is about the 'club' and the other about the 'team'.

The SOS are tier 6, regardless of any thoughts on P&B they are and will remain tier 6. They came in and were a vital part of change when the Lowland League was formed.

whether in the future they suffer the same fate as the Northern League in England (drop down levels) that remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, mcruic said:

Nobody is advocating them moving anywhere geographically.  I'm saying they should stay as they are (same clubs), but should be at Tier 7, based on their playing strength.

Sorry if I didn't make this clearer.

It's about opportunity to play in local regional league football right the way up to, and including, Tier 6. Why is that a problem for anyone who cares about providing opportunity to all clubs. After all if the EoS and WoS champions aren't able to beat a champion club from e.g. the SoS then they don't merit promotion do they? I agree that this situation isn't expected to occur very often in the future which makes it even more questionable as to why anyone would be remotely bothered by the ranking of the SoS and NCL at Tier 6 if that's what happens to the NCL. 

It hasn't hurt any club in the past. Why should it matter in the future?

Others may not agree with this. which is fair enough.

At the moment the SoSFL has provided a licenced champion 2/5 years so far. This year since most leagues are using PPG, then it becomes 2/6.

The status of what tier a league is in is a bit meaningless right now. There's no automatic right of promotion. The EoSFL is pretty much guaranteed a licenced champion going forward now and the playoff weeds out weaker sides. There's no extra benefit like Scottish Cup seeding or voting rights.

Once the WoSFL is in the same place as the EoSFL and has the majority of their top division licenced i'm sure there will be a discussion over promotion/relegation to the Lowland League.

13 hours ago, mcruic said:

But the best way to move forward is surely to forget how much of a hash certain people made of things, and concentrate on having feeder leagues of roughly equal strength. Otherwise, you get situations where lots of good teams have to wait maybe 3 or 4 years to get to the level they should be at now (like in the EoS, where the influx of East Juniors means that several of the better teams will be stuck in the EoS for years when they are better than many teams in the Lowland League already), caused by unnatural bottlenecks at the top and bottom of these leagues.  There should be 3 up 3 down to/from the Lowland League.

I would agree, multiple promotion between all leagues top to bottom of the pyramid is needed as soon as possible.

All ex-Junior teams are johnny come lately's to the pyramid as they failed to get in at the start, so they will have to work with what is, they missed the best boat unlike SOS teams, who have therefore have a right to be a tier 6. If the SOS volunteer to move down the pyramid fine, otherwise there is no need for them to move.

Edited by Countryman

12 hours ago, MacGafraidh said:

whether in the future they suffer the same fate as the Northern League in England (drop down levels) that remains to be seen.

The Northern League didn't drop down anywhere. It was the natural choice for the top of the Northern end of the English pyramid and refused to join. By the time it did join it was weaker and had lost bargaining power and came it at the highest level it could.

The comparison with Scotland is more akin to the Juniors than the SoS league.

Kello Rovers could get an easier route to Tier 5 by joining the SoSL (at Tier 6) rather than the WoSL (at Tier 8).  I reckon Kello would be one of the top teams in the SoSL. I don't have many Kello/SoS club results to go by, but before the 2018-19 season, Kello beat Abbey Vale 3-1 in a friendly. I think they also played Nithsdale in March 2019, but I don't have the score.  Before the start of the 2019-20 season, Kello beat Abbey Vale 7-2.  Kello played in the West Juniors 3rd tier (notionally Tier 8 in the new WoSL).

Edited by mcruic

On 23/04/2020 at 00:03, JockB said:

pub league

farmers league 

whatever you want to call it it should be nowhere near tier 6 or 7 .

time to send these clubs amateurs where they belong. 

And what well run, top quality league are your team in?