Livingston v St Mirren - 12/02/2020

FT 2-1

Disappointed but not surprised, Livi are a top 6 team.

Positives are that Hearts, Ross Co and Hamilton all lost by more than us so we’ve not lost any ground on them and our goal difference advantage over them is even bigger.

Good to see Obika back on the scoresheet again too, he’ll be an important player for us in the run in.

Well that was nervier than I thought it would be after we went 2-0 up at the start of the 2nd half. Very unlike us to get caught like that in defence at home, more akin to our away form. Wee Robbo should've made it 3-1 and a comfortable night, had an easier chance than Dykes but missed it. 

Classic Dolly taking the ball right up the pitch and getting a corner, mon the Dolly, I've missed him. Another great shift by Dykes, and won us the game with his pen award and goal, dunno what the sponsors were watching giving MoTM to Brown. If St Mirren were better they'd have punished us for several comedy of errors trying to clear the ball in defence, Keags kept getting on the wrong side of players and giving the ball away too, not our best performance at home but we got there in the end, and a valuable 3 pts to stop the rot from last week.

Bring on the current buns.

Great getting the 3 points. A bit nervy at the end when we should’ve had the game killed off: Guthrie off the line; Guthrie blazing over from 5 yards; Robinson 1 on 1; and Dykes hitting post. Holt talked about the game management being slack in the second half; a combo of St Mirren picking it up and Marv going off I think.

St Mirren will cause teams problems with those attacking players. 

Free hit against the Teddy Bears on Saturday 🤪

Edited by crispy

Should’ve been more comfortable, one off the line, Robbo chance, Dykes free header into an open goal, but got the job done and that’s the most important thing. 

Gotta be honest, pen looked soft but will reserve judgement until I see it again. 

Sibbald for me man of the match, one of his best in a Livi top for me, Bartley going off is a big worry, hopefully nothing too serious.

Now onto 3 tough games in a row, Rangers, Hibs, Celtic, most important thing that surely means we are safe, only 7 points from last seasons total with 12 games to go, be great if we beat that tally for a start. 

St Mirren will be fine I think, much better than Hamilton, Ross County, and Hearts. 

Well that was a lot more nervy than it should have been.

I thought we were miles ahead in the first half; first to every ball and were tearing the buddies defence a new one.

Second half we score a breakaway goal withing 30 seconds and I was relaxing (or as relaxed as I could be in the sub zero temperature) awaiting a footballing feast. Evidently the verbal kick up the #### delivered by Goodwin at half time sunk in and the St Mirren side started to battle for the ball. A lot more even second half and, if I wasn't looking at it with livi tinted specs, I'd suggest that St Mirren shaved it.

Something that I found quite strange though; two of the Saints player who I thought had lifted their game the most were substituted.

I think we're already too far ahead of Hearts and Accies for either of them to catch, no danger they're getting to 37 points, with just 12 games left to play. So top six is where we should be focussing on now, Killie have had a revival of late, so going to be a fight to keep them and Hibs from catching us, St Johnstone may not be out of it yet either. The run in to the split is going to be pretty exciting. We just missed out last season, so really hope we can do it this season. Things could tighten up even further after our next three games.