AUFC V GMFC* *Ayr Reserves

13 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Where on earth would the water go that would be on said covers when the covers were removed from the pitch :lol::1eye

Erm there's these new fangled inventions called 'brushes', which are able to move water from the top of a surface to the sideline where it wouldn't matter at all. I mean really, how do people on here think clubs have tried to protect their pitches from the Scottish climate in the past few decades? You put down covers before it rains and then the grass below them takes very little water on board: that's also how WImbledon and other world class tennis tournaments deal with the same problem effortlessly. It's really not rocket science.

Postponements are a minor inconvenience but are part of playing a winter season, which is fine. Clubs just not bothering to try and protect their pitches from some rain though - in Scotland of all places - are failing in their task just as much as the tinpot SPL outfits like Livingston and Kilmarnock who wouldn't turn on their undersoil heating because they couldn't be arsed paying the bill. And I've been just as critical of my own club about that this season as Ayr or anyone else.

Edited by vikingTON

11 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

This from the guy who was forced to close his colonic irrigation clinic because of a hosepipe ban.

if this latest drivel is anything to go by I’m guessing you could probably suck up the cover run off with that gob of yours and store it in the large space between your ears.

^^^ word salad

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm there's these new fangled inventions called 'brushes', which are able to move water from the top of a surface to the sideline where it wouldn't matter at all. I mean really, how do people on here think clubs have tried to protect their pitches from the Scottish climate in the past few decades? You put down covers before it rains and the grass below them then takes very little water on board: that's also how WImbledon and other world class tennis tournaments effortlessly deals with the same problem. It's really not rocket science.

Postponements are a minor inconvenience but are part of playing a winter season, which is fine. Clubs just not bothering their arse at all to protect their pitches from some rain though - in Scotland of all places - are however failing in their task just as much as the tinpot outfits like Livingston and Kilmarnock who wouldn't turn on their undersoil heating because they couldn't be arsed paying the bill. And I've just been critical of my own club about that as Ayr or anyone else.

Oh right flood the trackside which in turn probably goes back on to the pitch. Putting covers on before it rains? It’s been raining for about 2 weeks down here, a cover being down on top of the pitch for that length of time isn’t going to be beneficial to the pitch.

Why was your master plan not followed on the 14th December v QOS when the match was postponed? When do said covers come off, an hour or 2 hours before kick off? 

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Oh right flood the trackside which in turn probably goes back on to the pitch. Putting covers on before it rains? It’s been raining for about 2 weeks down here, a cover being down on top of the pitch for that length of time isn’t going to be beneficial to the pitch.

Why was your master plan not followed on the 14th December v QOS when the match was postponed? When do said covers come off, an hour or 2 hours before kick off? 

A: Because our groundsman now thinks he is keeping a precious show lawn rather than a football pitch and so decided not to put down the protective covers that the club invested in when the Raes took over. He also made the same mistake against Alloa in March and then the game got called off because a pathetic amount of sleet fell on it on the Saturday morning. Before this stupidity though we hadn't a game called off due to a waterlogged pitch in fifteen years - and it's a categorical fact that it rains even more on the Clyde Riviera than it does in Ayr.

I'm really not sure why so-called professional football clubs in 2020 are now relying solely on 'the wind' as the only way of keeping their pitch in a playable condition: that's Junior-level diddiness all round.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

A: Because our groundsman now thinks he is keeping a precious show lawn rather than a football pitch and so decided not to put down the protective covers that the club invested in when the Raes took over. He also made the same mistake against Alloa in March and then the game got called off because a pathetic amount of sleet fell on it on the Saturday morning. Before this stupidity though we hadn't a game called off due to a waterlogged pitch in fifteen years - and it's a categorical fact that it rains even more on the Clyde Riviera than it does in Ayr.

I'm really not sure why so-called professional football clubs in 2020 are now relying solely on 'the wind' as the only way of keeping their pitch in a playable condition: that's Junior-level diddiness all round.

As guy stated above it’s rained here for near on 2 weeks , pitch is draining ok the worry is the amount of water that will fall in such a short space of time , drains can’t cope that why you get floods , now if you can inform us how we can stop these current high winds gusting up the park that would be beneficial as that’s what looks like getting game called off 

3 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

As guy stated above it’s rained here for near on 2 weeks ,

It actually wasn't raining to any significant degree on Wednesday/Thursday, which would have both given time for the park to drain and then put down covers before the obvious downpours forecast for Friday. You yourself claim that the pitch is playable right now, so the issue clearly isn't 'the last two weeks of rain' - otherwise it would have been waterlogged on Thursday and you could have just called it off then - but rather failing to put down covers in the 36 hours before kick-off when heavy rain was clearly forecast.

now if you can inform us how we can stop these current high winds gusting up the park that would be beneficial as that’s what looks like getting game called off 

Winds are forecast to be nowhere near as high as they were last Saturday anywhere in Scotland and yet the vast majority of games went ahead. It certainly seems that you're lining up your excuses in advance here though.

Edited by vikingTON

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

It actually wasn't raining to any significant degree on Wednesday/Thursday, which would have both given time for the park to drain and then put down covers before the obvious downpours forecast for Friday. You yourself claim that the pitch is playable right now, so the issue clearly isn't 'the last two weeks of rain' but rather failing to put down covers in the 36 hours before kick-off.

If you read my post properly, I clearly state that no pitch would  drain away the forecasted amount of water to fall in such a small space of time , covers were not needed as the wind was needed to dry pitch with amount of rain over last couple of days , a number of local games have been postponed already due to rain , as for your comment re rain forecast on Friday , we had no rain from noon yesterday until about 45 mins ago , and pitch is playable now it’s what’s forecasted that’s the problem , so guys have done the right thing letting wind dry pitch out 

Edited by Robbo63

I'm sure VT is an egronimist of great note and will DEFINITELY know more on this subject than any professional groundsmen who does this day in and day out for a living..........

50 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Schoolboy levels of patter from yourself there.

Think you should give the keyboard a rest for a wee while.

I’m surprised he has not been back on to say he has knocked up a prototype Stadium roofing system out of Kleenex boxes in his bedroom and given it a test run in the shower he uses to get experience of playing subuteo  in bad weather.

You can just sense that Valentine’s Day went badly.

It doesn’t rain more there than it does in Ayr! That’s just yer tears