2016 Winners -vs- 2015 Winners: Hibernian -vs- Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Surprised at just how poor Caley were - second in the Championship but miles behind Dundee Utd quality wise.

Those tackles on Boyle were awful, and dare I say premeditated (great tactics Robbo) I havent watched the red card back yet but it was yet another horrible tackle from the Highland thugs.

Very lucky to get the two goals on the balance of play, but I am sure Robbo will be saying he deserved a replay......or some other tear stained pish.

If the penalty we should’ve had had been awarded just before the second goal and the shot that hit the post had gone in.... we’d still have lost.

Hibs were clearly the much better team, their attacking players were real quality and we just couldn’t deal with them. The movement, little passes and intricate work was a big difficulty for us the whole game, you don’t really come up against that in the Championship and it showed. It didn’t help that both our centra midfielders picked up bookings so early but I thought both Trafford and Carson had decent games after that.

We had a good spell at the start of the second half but losing the second goal straight after the penalty shout showed that we were lacking what was needed. One, we should’ve stopped the break with a foul and two, we were really exposed by the speed and accuracy of the Hibs play. The red card looked like one to me, a stupid tackle and that completely killed it, if the game being stretched gave Hibs too much room before then now it was clearly open.

From our side, I thought Ridgers, Carson, Trafford and White had decent games but our defence had a really testing night overall, just too much. To get a result we’d have needed to keep it tight and break but that didn’t seem on the cards at all. Vincent must be injured as I’d have gone with him in the middle instead of Keatings, a more solid and defensive team but we had a go and it didn’t work, hey ho.

The ref was pish but didn’t really have an affect on the game - if we’d had the penalty that we probably should’ve I’m not sure it would’ve changed much. I didn’t think the Hibs penalty was one and wasn’t sure the dive was either.

I thought our fans were great, I counted fifty stewards in front of them, very amusing. They were also searching everyone and patting everyone down, but I still saw several fans drinking half bottles in the stadium [emoji23]

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I watched this mainly to see Docherty.  He took his goal well and was calm in setting up Omeonga.  He's clearly much more at home playing for a provincial club than for a big team like Rangers.

You do know "provincial" tends to mean anything outside of the capital city and the only time Glasgow is ever  mentioned as the capital of Scotland the word "murder" is used as a prefix.  Rangers and Celtic are therefore provincial clubs. Hibs, Hearts and Edinburgh City aren't so get it up ye, we're from the Capital, you're from a shitehole!

That went as expected.  Hibs have too much quality for us which everyone knew anyway. 

Were 2nd in the Championship as when we take the lead we usually win as 8 of the teams in the division only have 1 tactic due to their managers all being utterly useless. 

We were good going forward, aided by ICT playing into our hands a wee bit and being so open. Some great goals from us, Gullan and Omeonga especially.

Only bad points are the goals we conceded, both basically straight after we scored ourselves again. The second one especially was very poor defensively. Our penalty taker issue is also another one that needs sorting. 

15 hours ago, Green Day said:

Surprised at just how poor Caley were - second in the Championship but miles behind Dundee Utd quality wise.

Those tackles on Boyle were awful, and dare I say premeditated (great tactics Robbo) I havent watched the red card back yet but it was yet another horrible tackle from the Highland thugs.

Very lucky to get the two goals on the balance of play, but I am sure Robbo will be saying he deserved a replay......or some other tear stained pish.

Here, here!

Afraid the old Caley mentality is creeping back in.

A bunch of hoofers and dangerous tacklers.

Tactis last night were a disgrace, thankfully no Hibs players were hurt.

Some of the Caley tackles were Shockers.

Carson, had red mist head from the kick off, as did Trafford.

Sad thing is, if they concentrated on playing football, they could have done ok.

@ICTChris sums it up perfectly. Hibs cruised past the runaway Championship leaders so they were always going to body us. At best we might have sneaked a 1 - 0 win but that was quickly ruled out. We've probably got the slowest defensive line in the Championship so a player of Boyle's quality was likely to have a field day and so it proved. The only way we could stop him was to hack him. About all you can expect from our Poundland centrebacks. Even if we still had Donaldson and McCart we'd still have been roasted but it might not have been so tragic.

We probably should have had a penalty for the foul on Tremarco before the second Hibs goal but even so you can't let the opposition go the length of the pitch and score as easily as we did then blame the ref. Some cracking strikes for the Hibees in amongst the goals and at least we had a couple of goals to celebrate for a laugh.

Hibs fans in The Iona were brand new before and after the game. A great bunch of lads.

All in all we got a deserved reeming from a far better team but the only thing less surprising than Hibs dishing out an absolute pasting is the County boys posting in this thread with more ferocity than their own match day discussions. Standard for them I suppose as it's all about the Caley (Thistle) 8)

I thought we played alright and the result flattered Hibs.  Five looks like it was an absolute tanking and it wasn't really and we did play some good football.  Rooney, Tremarco, Walsh, Carson and Trafford all played well but we really lack two proper centre-backs - Brad Mckay is too often an accident waiting to happen and McHattie looks like a full back filling in, which is exactly what he is.

That game showed that if we were to be promoted by the play offs, we'd need at least five good players to be competitive and that's before trying to replace those who will inevitably leave. 

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I thought we played alright and the result flattered Hibs. 

Not really. We should have had a penalty and we missed one. I counted a total of 3 clear ICT chances in the whole game. The one that came off the post from Marcianos save and the 2 goals. One which was deflected in and the other which looked like a hand ball in the box before falling to the scorer.

Could easily have been 6 or 7-0.

1 hour ago, BawWatchin said:

Not really. We should have had a penalty and we missed one. I counted a total of 3 clear ICT chances in the whole game. The one that came off the post from Marcianos save and the 2 goals. One which was deflected in and the other which looked like a hand ball in the box before falling to the scorer.

Could easily have been 6 or 7-0.

Two of Hibs' goals came when Caley Thistle had no natural centre-back on the pitch.  We could've had a penalty before the second Hibs goal.  White could've scored in the opening minute if he was actually capable of directing a header.  I think Boyle dived (though not at the time) but that's beside the point.  I'm usually pretty negative, but I thought Caley Thistle played alright over the course of the game, all things considered.  Hibs deserved the win, but for me, a win of anymore than two flatters them.   Seven?  Steady on.

Edited by Highland Capital

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Two of Hibs' goals came when Caley Thistle had no natural centre-back on the pitch.  We could've had a penalty before the second Hibs goal.  White could've scored in the opening minute if he was actually capable of directing a header.  I think Boyle dived (though not at the time) but that's beside the point.  I'm usually pretty negative, but I thought Caley Thistle played alright over the course of the game, all things considered.  Hibs deserved the win, but for me, a win of anymore than two flatters them.   Seven?  Steady on.

You're giving "what if" reasons as to why you think the score line flattered us. I've given you "what if" reasons as to why the result could have been even worse for ICT.

It could have been better for ICT, it could also have been worse.

You're giving "what if" reasons as to why you think the score line flattered us. I've given you "what if" reasons as to why the result could have been even worse for ICT.

Indeed the result could’ve been better for ICT, with a single or two goal defeat being a far better reflection of the performance of the two teams. And indeed it could’ve been worse for us and that would’ve flattered Hibs even more.

On 01/03/2020 at 02:06, BawWatchin said:

I'm just mightily relieved we weren't playing Hearts.