Arbroath vs QOTS

So they did. It only strengthens my point that finishing 3rd/4th makes it an almost impossible task to go up mind you.

Yeah of course. However if you finish 4th in this league should you really be given the chance of going up? Either make the leagues bigger so mid table sides aren’t qualifying for playoffs or just do second top versus second bottom over two legs.

Yeah of course. However if you finish 4th in this league should you really be given the chance of going up? Either make the leagues bigger so mid table sides aren’t qualifying for playoffs or just do second top versus second bottom over two legs.

Iv always thought that about the playoffs in our leagues. We once won the playoffs after a very average season and finishing 4th. I think we were over 20 points behind the league winners that year (East Fife?). It should be 2 up, 2 down

Iv always thought that about the playoffs in our leagues. We once won the playoffs after a very average season and finishing 4th. I think we were over 20 points behind the league winners that year (East Fife?). It should be 2 up, 2 down
When they had the bellends over a barrel with the Rangers situation they should have bargained for an automatic 2 up 2 down instead of this shite.

The playoffs does favour the prem side but if you finish 3rd or 4th it should be difficult to go up from there. If your second you have to play the same number of games as the prem team overall but have to come through a semi final first. That said you have momentum and the prem team doesn't.

The playoffs does favour the prem side but if you finish 3rd or 4th it should be difficult to go up from there. If your second you have to play the same number of games as the prem team overall but have to come through a semi final first. That said you have momentum and the prem team doesn't.

How do you mean overall? The Prem side plays 2 and 2nd place plays 4.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
12 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

How do you mean overall? The Prem side plays 2 and 2nd place plays 4.

The premiership side are still playing league games while the first 2 rounds of playoffs are happening. It's not like they're getting an advantage by resting up for a week before the final.

I like the current format.

The premiership side are still playing league games while the first 2 rounds of playoffs are happening. It's not like they're getting an advantage by resting up for a week before the final.
Ah I see. Do they play midweek though or still week by week? I thought it was the latter. They definitely get the advantage of rest, even if it isn't a huge amount of time.

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Any advantage to being full-time, owes less to the players training for longer, than it does to the notion that you get better players by paying them enough to let them play football for a living.

At our current level, with our gates though, I doubt if there's any real advantage at all.  If we need to go part-time again, so be it.  I'd rather it was in this division though.  

The reality is that in the last of our part-time days in the mid noughties, several of our players had no other job anyway.  I actually quite liked the "2-0 to the part-timers" chant.

Something that always interests me about football and footballers is the little time they spend individually or as a group actually training/working.

How long do they spend together each day, at the same location, training, working on fitness, ball skills, tactics etc? Who monitors their nutrition? Rest?

They're full time athletes, being paid a full time wage.

Before anyone says they can't train all day or multiple times a day or wouldn't accept "working" all day, why not? Because it's always been this way? Look at cyclists, triathletes, numerous other sports. They manage it.

Something that always interests me about football and footballers is the little time they spend individually or as a group actually training/working.
How long do they spend together each day, at the same location, training, working on fitness, ball skills, tactics etc? Who monitors their nutrition? Rest?
They're full time athletes, being paid a full time wage.
Before anyone says they can't train all day or multiple times a day or wouldn't accept "working" all day, why not? Because it's always been this way? Look at cyclists, triathletes, numerous other sports. They manage it.

I would like to think that if I was lucky enough to have a chance of being a full time footballer I would be in the gym all day when not training. What an opportunity it is.

I saw a photo of Dundee training the other week, fair enough it was probably just a warm up or whatever, but players had the balls in their hands and it looked like it was a simple - run around the middle and volley it to the boys with balls in their hands - exercise. I appreciate that it's probably pretty standard and the norm but it got me thinking how much can FT footballers at this level actually improve with the kind of training they are receiving?

Surely most will have reached a stage where they can't improve too much? Obviously be a couple of players who come through and push on to a higher level but for a lot of them I'm not overly sure. It's not as if Pep Guardiola is taking the sessions.

Interestingly Ian Campbell said in an interview the other week that our sessions are short and intense. Players also are responsible for their own fitness. Sounds like most of the fitness comes from playing football matches and the week is spent on recovery and ticking over.

We played 101 minutes of football at Tannadice the other week and come the end looked every bit as fit as United and had spent 75 minutes closing them down and running after the ball.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

When they had the bellends over a barrel with the Rangers situation they should have bargained for an automatic 2 up 2 down instead of this shite.

^^^ dreadful posts ^^^

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

^^^ good post ^^^

2 up 2 down would kill the game in Scotland if it were in place this season imo. 

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That Wighton miss looks even worse on the highlights

Boy had a fantastic game though so let him off.

We were right behind it, never looked like being on target and yes, he was great and we will forgive him, this time

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Ah I see. Do they play midweek though or still week by week? I thought it was the latter. They definitely get the advantage of rest, even if it isn't a huge amount of time.

Premiership teams play 38 league games, we play 36.

I defend 'keepers more often than not but I really can't figure out what is going on with the first goal now I've seen it from both angles. It's almost as if he goes for it then decides against it.

I don't think he could do any better with the second. It's low, hard and close to his body. Even the world's best 'keepers get stung with those shots.

The marking leaves questions yet again and for me that's two crosses again making it 9 crosses from our last 10 GC, the other a penalty.