Arbroath vs QOTS

A well deserved win for the 'broath - by  far the better team and well worthy of the 3 points.

Queens were rarely in the match, except for 10 minutes midway through the 2nd half, where they created a few chances which came to nothing.

Every Arbroath player played their part, with perhaps Craig Wighton and Gav Swankie  joint  MOTM - but thats  a little unfair on the rest of the players who were all outstanding.

Sir Bobby Linn never played today, but I think the rest will do him good and it won't be long until he is back putting the fear into teams.

Great result.

31 minutes ago, SueSue said:

He clearly does not rate Semple. 

I guess he doesn’t need to say it. His actions speak louder than words.

I think AJ May live to regret his decision to ignore Semple. He certainly can’t play Semple again or he is saying he has made an almighty mistake. 

He signed him! He must have rated him enough to sign him.

Thoroughly deserved win for Arbroath. They adapted to the conditions but more impressively played some excellent football too. Swankie and Wighton were excellent. We were pretty awful. Decent free kick by Dobbie and a header from Kilday? that hit the post might have changed things but we were 2nd best pretty much throughout.The 2nd goal we lost was just embarrassing. Alert play by Swankie but to get free ball like that from a throw in is just awful. We really lack leadership. The decision not to start Hamilton today given his impact last week and his treble for the reserves in midweek just beggars belief. We are in big trouble.

Well played Arbroath.

39 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not the best crowd today, (understandably) weather was abysmal, freezing, soaked an muddy, team getting beat 2 nothing, fair trek up to the game..... and getting stick and your past it shouts off all the old guys in the stand.

Must be so frustrating for him emoji23.png

In fairness he looked like Queens only real threat, good free kick in first and decent effort in the second half too.

BBC match report on TV said just over 3,500 there which I thought was terrific. I take it that was a mistake? Has your home support grown this season, you would have hoped so given the great season you are having? Really pleased that you look to have cemented your place in the division but hoping the wheels fall off in a fortnight at Dens (only for the day)

BBC match report on TV said just over 3,500 there which I thought was terrific. I take it that was a mistake? Has your home support grown this season, you would have hoped so given the great season you are having? Really pleased that you look to have cemented your place in the division but hoping the wheels fall off in a fortnight at Dens (only for the day)
800 odd on Goalshouter.

Lowest of the season. Fully understandable.

I'd say most games were getting about just over 1000 actual home supporters in on average. Which is ok. Hopefully keeps pushing upwards.

Lowest away crowd we've had this year too, Alloa aside, again completely understandable.

The small band that made the journey were very drunk and noisy before the game so fair play to them. Just a shame their team let them down.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Wouldn't shock me if Arbroath try and keep it on, the wind is a great leveller. 

I never knew Nostradamus was a  Dumfermline fan!...."Proper " fans the Queen of the South fans who made it today.However , Arbroath ,Taysides second best team, played great .At times the corner flags werent moving, so the rain was more of a problem,cant say the wind was an advantage to either side today.Craig Wightons pace and distribution were worth the admission price alone.

Edited by Douglas Peel
Punctuation

Firstly, a hugely deserved home win - Arbroath were first to every ball, battled much harder as a collective unit and Messrs Hilson, Swankie and Wighton ran our back 4 ragged.

First thing we need to sort is some leadership on the park - too many heads go down when we lose the first goal and sadly as Captain, Dobbie is at the wrong end of the park to organise colleagues and get his message across when the “going gets tough”. This is not a reflection on Dobbie as he is a huge influence on and off the park but we need a defender or central midfielder to display some leadership and battling qualities. We seldom get any points when we go behind and as soon as we lost the early goal today the writing was on the wall.

Hamilton should clearly have started today. Murray’s inclusion was a mistake on two fronts - he was rushed back after injury and he really wasn’t playing well before he got injured. Semple needs to be given his chance - our penalty box defending is woeful.

All players need to have a reality check - this is looking like a repeat of last season and it is unlikely that there will be a happy ending if we don’t get our act together quickly.

I never knew Nostradamus was a  Dumfermline fan!...."Proper " fans the Queen of the South fans who made it today.However , Arbroath ,Taysides second best team, played great .At times the corner flags werent moving, so the rain was more of a problem,cant say the wind was an advantage to either side today.Craig Wightons pace and distribution were worth the admission price alone.

Dundee utd are surely number 2 in tayside

6 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Firstly, a hugely deserved home win - Arbroath were first to every ball, battled much harder as a collective unit and Messrs Hilson, Swankie and Wighton ran our back 4 ragged.

First thing we need to sort is some leadership on the park - too many heads go down when we lose the first goal and sadly as Captain, Dobbie is at the wrong end of the park to organise colleagues and get his message across when the “going gets tough”. This is not a reflection on Dobbie as he is a huge influence on and off the park but we need a defender or central midfielder to display some leadership and battling qualities. We seldom get any points when we go behind and as soon as we lost the early goal today the writing was on the wall.

Hamilton should clearly have started today. Murray’s inclusion was a mistake on two fronts - he was rushed back after injury and he really wasn’t playing well before he got injured. Semple needs to be given his chance - our penalty box defending is woeful.

All players need to have a reality check - this is looking like a repeat of last season and it is unlikely that there will be a happy ending if we don’t get our act together quickly.

We’ve lost the first goal in 10 league games and have taken 1 point out of 30.  And that single point came on 10 August. 

At lunchtime I expected the game would be postponed  but the wind dropped bit and it was game on. 

Not long ago to put out an Arbroath team without Bobby Linn would have been unthinkable but fair play to the management, they have got the team selection and tactics spot on.  Hopefully the break will have Bobby champing at the bit to get back in the team and he will be back to his best when that happens.

Thought Queens would have put up more of a fight given their league position and that they, quote " Should be coming to places like this and winning", but all in all an easy win for us. Gold and Hilson both took their goals well. Good to see Hilson getting his first goal for the club after great work by Swankie. 

Wouldn't single out a MOM, everyone did their bit, Miko again terrific and what about Ricky Little? The man plays consistently well week after week, seldom had a poor game since coming to the club.

Queens problems are obvious, but I love to see them losing games. I've never forgiven them for coming to Gayfield some years ago, when they were almost thrown out of the league for non payment to their players, with their fans playing the theme from "The Great Escape" on trumpet and drum for the whole game. And they had the nerve to beat us! 

Edited by SotesBornalichtie