Arbroath vs QOTS

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Me too. Winters are shite enough without taking football away. I’ve loads of other stuff on in summer months.

My thoughts exactly - what else is there to do on Saturday in the winter. Even by the time April comes I have other things to do on Saturday and I give going to football serious thought.

13 hours ago, sneeuq said:

football on Summer evening is not too bad.

Aye, when it's a nice relaxed, leisurely paced pre-season friendly and you're sussing out the new players, new kit, trying to figure out who the triallists are....

Imagine that in the deep dark depths of winter!

Every year there's pish weather in the summer and people come out with the 'so much for summer football eh !!!' patter.

Scotlands weather is just shite. Football season is fine the way it is.

It's currently sitting at 24mph with gusts of 42. That should be fine I'm guessing.

Hopefully forecast comes down a bit before the weekend it's been changing all week as days have gone on.

No more so than last weekend's one to be honest, though I accept Arbroath is maybe a wee bit more exposed to the wind than Cappielow was.

Nobody likes the wind. Managers hate it, players hate playing in it and supporters hate standing in it watching the horrendous spectacle on show.

No more so than last weekend's one to be honest, though I accept Arbroath is maybe a wee bit more exposed to the wind than Cappielow was.

Cappielow is a lot more sheltered from the south and west. Sadly, Gayfield is likely to be unplayable in winds that would just be annoying at Morton.

27 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Nobody likes the wind. Managers hate it, players hate playing in it and supporters hate standing in it watching the horrendous spectacle on show.

Well yes, obviously, I didn't say anything different. But mockery or not, we played in very similar levels of wind last weekend.

Regarding the wind, it should be taken into consideration when there is segregation. Give the away support the Inchcape end so that they can have the wind in their faces for the whole game. It's only fair that after all these windy years the home support should get a break from it.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

Regarding the wind, it should be taken into consideration when there is segregation. Give the away support the Inchcape end so that they can have the wind in their faces for the whole game. It's only fair that after all these windy years the home support should get a break from it.

There’s a major snag with that. All the fitba and all the goals happen at the downwind end! [emoji3]

IMG_2350.thumb.jpg.a4c6495ed4ba2f4be870ba5bbd420ba1.jpg

For some antiquated reason, weather forecasts never seem to be given priority in determining whether a game goes ahead. True, actual conditions can vary on the day but it seems to need the physical intervention of a referee to decide. But, like Stranraer at home last season, it was obvious days ahead it would be too windy, but they had to start the game only to abandon it. Since Queens have longish trip (and quite a few Lichties also travel in), would it not make sense to make a sensible call 18 hours ahead?

51 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

For some antiquated reason, weather forecasts never seem to be given priority in determining whether a game goes ahead. True, actual conditions can vary on the day but it seems to need the physical intervention of a referee to decide. But, like Stranraer at home last season, it was obvious days ahead it would be too windy, but they had to start the game only to abandon it. Since Queens have longish trip (and quite a few Lichties also travel in), would it not make sense to make a sensible call 18 hours ahead?

I doubt anyone at Queens will want to potentially call it off needlessly on 18 hrs notice when it will mean a pain in the backside midweek return. If it's off it's off, and ideally before we at least leave Cumbernauld, but I'd want to at least see if the wind is lighter than forecast tomorrow first. I accept that the forecasts are pretty accurate these days and that wind is notoriously difficult at the best of times. It might be fine at noon tomorrow and howling a 50mph gale at 3pm.

However, presuming the pitch itself is ok, then it's never going to be called off on the Friday on the basis of potential wind, and nor should it be.

EDITED to add: Of course, if it's called off at 2:30pm for it that will be very frustrating. Personally I can't go tomorrow anyway but I'd rather the game gets played if it can be.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

No