Thistle v Rovers

Hank Scorpio

The difference between us and Alloa/Arbroath is that they have players that give everything for the team and have a game plan. We have a captain who shites himself anytime someone comes near him.
We are well and truly up shits creek.

And we actually have good players too, everyone seems to forget that bit.

I have no interest in this tournament personally but loved seeing the Rovers celebration on the second. Friday night away cup tie in Glasgow, looked like they enjoyed themselves.

As for Partick I'm not sure if they'll be too arsed, they have more important things to concentrate on, but I'm not sure how this defeat will have an impact going forward.

2 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

It’s a funny one. We all know this is a kind of diddy cup, but when you support a club like Rovers or Dunfermline then ‘success’ is few and far between. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want success at whatever level it’s at.  I’ve followed Rovers for almost 40 years. A Challenge cup win is never going to surpass beating Celtic at Ibrox in 94 in the League Cup, but having experienced it against Rangers then it’s an absolute joy.  We’re in a final again and personally I can’t fucking wait. 

You have to give great respect to East Fife and Dunfermline as their cup wins came in a different era, look also at Dundee with the Pars progressing in European competitions as well.

Back in the 50's and 60's you won your league or attained a decent finish to get you into the European, Fairs or Cup Winners Cup and enjoy an exotic cup tie under the lights on a weekday.

Our successes have come on the cusp of a different era, we were the last Scottish team to progress to the UEFA Cup by winning the League Cup, we won the Challenge Cup just before the introduction of Colts and International sides.

As football morphs into other incarnations, perhaps we should embrace change and just get on with it and dare to make room in the trophy cabinet for another accolade.

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

Genuinely torn. Hate the Colt teams in this cup, but playing you would probably be an easier game and 20,000 Rangers muppets might turning out in the final might boost our bank balance. But still, ‘mon the ICT

Oh c'mon.  It would allow you to recycle the best P&B match thread title of all time:

Wraiths vs Zombies

And we actually have good players too, everyone seems to forget that bit.

I have no interest in this tournament personally but loved seeing the Rovers celebration on the second. Friday night away cup tie in Glasgow, looked like they enjoyed themselves.

As for Partick I'm not sure if they'll be too arsed, they have more important things to concentrate on, but I'm not sure how this defeat will have an impact going forward.

Aye this, the losing side tonight or Sunday won’t give a toss about it the winning side will just enjoy the day out. Will be the same in the final if it’s Inverness the winner will have a wee party and the loser won’t really be bothered.

8 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

You have to give great respect to East Fife and Dunfermline as their cup wins came in a different era, look also at Dundee with the Pars progressing in European competitions as well.

Back in the 50's and 60's you won your league or attained a decent finish to get you into the European, Fairs or Cup Winners Cup and enjoy an exotic cup tie under the lights on a weekday.

Our successes have come on the cusp of a different era, we were the last Scottish team to progress to the UEFA Cup by winning the League Cup, we won the Challenge Cup just before the introduction of Colts and International sides.

As football morphs into other incarnations, perhaps we should embrace change and just get on with it and dare to make room in the trophy cabinet for another accolade.

Totally. East Fife and Dunfermline fans are just guys who support their local team. Even tonight, Thistle fans live in Glasgow and have turned their back on the Old Firm. That’s to be admired. 

It’s absolutely a new era in football. Even a Raith league Cup win probably wouldn’t happen these days. I’m just glad I was there to witness it.  For those supporting their ‘local’ team then just enjoy what ever success comes your way, no matter how peripheral. 

Rovers vs Rangers Colts in the final would be peak caramel wafer teacake irn bru cup.

Hope and fully expect ICT to win on sunday so as to not make a complete mockery of the competition. Get shot of the colt teams for next season or just bin this competition altogether.

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This is the general problem with Thistle at the moment* 🤷‍♂️

* last three years

7 hours ago, Holy Marv said:

Can’t be saying that when you got outplayed 🤔

I typed that at half time when it was pretty turgid stuff, Raith included. (It was meant from a more Thistle-centric p.o.v.)

Well done on your win and good luck in the final.

Edited by jagfox99

I've maintained all the way through this competition to my mates that this is a complete diddy cup. If we end up winning it, then it's good for the club but I don't think anyone will realistically put it in the same light as the one against Rangers. In 2014, it felt very much like the stars aligned - Rangers put out a full strength team and we still had Turnbull Hutton with us to add an extra dimension off the pitch. Nobody gave us a chance outside of our own area. John Baird wasn't long back either. 

This time around, I'd be happy if we won. But it's 100% about promotion. If you offered me to swap last night for a win against Stranraer last week, I'd have taken the 3 points. 

I've maintained all the way through this competition to my mates that this is a complete diddy cup. If we end up winning it, then it's good for the club but I don't think anyone will realistically put it in the same light as the one against Rangers. In 2014, it felt very much like the stars aligned - Rangers put out a full strength team and we still had Turnbull Hutton with us to add an extra dimension off the pitch. Nobody gave us a chance outside of our own area. John Baird wasn't long back either. 

This time around, I'd be happy if we won. But it's 100% about promotion. If you offered me to swap last night for a win against Stranraer last week, I'd have taken the 3 points. 

No doubt promotion is more important and I’d have taken that hypothetical swap too but I’ll be celebrating like a madman if we win this cup. You can see yourself last night how much this means to the players, the lads all want a medal. This win should give us a massive lift and will hopefully spur us on in the league. It should give us confidence we can do it in the bigger games coming up, especially the midweek Falkirk game. As for the cup being a diddy tournament, well I don’t know what League One is if not also a diddy tournament. The diddy double is ON!

10 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Watching the game on iPlayer, the half time VT is John Baird 'returning to Raith for the third time'

He is in his third spell but has only returned twice.

I was watching this with my wife’s cousin (Australian) and the cousin’s boyfriend (English). They kept having to check whether it was English of Gaelic that Baird and Brannigan were speaking.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

If we manage to beat bogey team Inverness it’ll be a triumph.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

On the money for me