Thistle v Rovers

Hank Scorpio

1 minute ago, P.C said:

A final is a final. Doesnt have the same prestige as league or Scottish cup final but hard not to celebrate when you see how much it means to the players. The young team with the pitch invasion was a bit much tho.

The Fife Cup final is a final etc. 

Lower league players call it the jobby Cup, I much prefer the stance we've taken in the past few seasons in giving the youth and fringe players a run out, if you have a first time player injured in it then it's highly, highly annoying. Imagine Regan Hendry had got injured tonight and missed the run in? Absolutely not worth it. 

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

You didn’t take the Scottish Cup last season very seriously either...

Nor did you take league 1. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:
3 hours ago, P.C said:
Bit biased but the fact the red card came out at all looked like player pressure rather than actually refeering

He just got his pockets mixed up I think.

Easily done, he was running around like he had his shorts on back to front.

The thing is if we got knocked out in the first round honestly no one would bother. As mentioned its an opportunity to get to a national final (just to mark on the Fife cup comment) and for the players to play in one. Obviously when we last got to it that was one that meant more not just to us but a vast amount of Scottish supporters to deny Rangers a cup.

1 minute ago, P.C said:

The thing is if we got knocked out in the first round honestly no one would bother. As mentioned its an opportunity to get to a national final (just to mark on the Fife cup comment) and for the players to play in one. Obviously when we last got to it that was one that meant more not just to us but a vast amount of Scottish supporters to deny Rangers a cup.

The treble is still on baby.

7 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I don't think we were great at all, but we were absolutely miles above Partick for much of that. Only negative is that the scoreline had a veneer of respectability. 

And could have easily ended up going to ET if Mitch Austin didn’t squander two great chances right at the end. Would have been completely undeserved if we did score either of them, though, as Raith were miles better.

Cracking away support as well considering the game was on TV and it’s the Challenge Cup.

Our squad looks better than it did a month ago, but they’re playing just about identically - defensively all over the place, and lacking in any real kind of fight or direction. Imposters playing badly and then trying to put the blame on others. This team is in deep shit.

That's a fantastic finish from Hendry for the second, really good goal. 
Fair play to the Raith fans for enjoying themselves, must've been absolutely wasted. Just can't imagine myself ever getting passionate over this competition. 

I disagree, yes no one really gives a shit about the biscuit cup and it’s generally a distraction but when you find yourself in the semi-final you might as well try and win it. At worst it’s a day out and the chance to win a trophy. Most teams outside the city clubs don’t win many trophies or make many cup finals. Most of the young lads weren’t born for the Coca Cola cup even our last league win and promotion was over a decade ago.

Great night out in Glasgow. It’s a diddy cup, but seriously who cares? When you reach this stage you want to progress. Thought we were by far the better team tonight. Deserved the win. Great effort from the young guys creating a superb atmosphere. This McGlynn team has some character. Love him. 

Enjoyable game thought the better team won and we had chances we should have taken. Fair play to thistle after they got the goal they came close to getting the equalizer. Thistle look a team who are beaten this season when the second went in the amount of fans who left is telling of a team that’s heading the wrong direction as the fans clearly had no faith they could overturn 2-0.

Overall I guess this is encouraging should we fail to win the league that we should at least be competitive in the playoffs this time.

I disagree, yes no one really gives a shit about the biscuit cup and it’s generally a distraction but when you find yourself in the semi-final you might as well try and win it. At worst it’s a day out and the chance to win a trophy. Most teams outside the city clubs don’t win many trophies or make many cup finals. Most of the young lads weren’t born for the Coca Cola cup even our last league win and promotion was over a decade ago.

You’d have to be in your 60s to remember seeing the pars win a cup.

It’s a funny one. We all know this is a kind of diddy cup, but when you support a club like Rovers or Dunfermline then ‘success’ is few and far between. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want success at whatever level it’s at.  I’ve followed Rovers for almost 40 years. A Challenge cup win is never going to surpass beating Celtic at Ibrox in 94 in the League Cup, but having experienced it against Rangers then it’s an absolute joy.  We’re in a final again and personally I can’t fucking wait. 

9 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

It’s a funny one. We all know this is a kind of diddy cup, but when you support a club like Rovers or Dunfermline then ‘success’ is few and far between. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want success at whatever level it’s at.  I’ve followed Rovers for almost 40 years. A Challenge cup win is never going to surpass beating Celtic at Ibrox in 94 in the League Cup, but having experienced it against Rangers then it’s an absolute joy.  We’re in a final again and personally I can’t fucking wait. 

Is that you supporting us vs ICT on Sunday?

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Is that you supporting us vs ICT on Sunday?

Genuinely torn. Hate the Colt teams in this cup, but playing you would probably be an easier game and 20,000 Rangers muppets might turning out in the final might boost our bank balance. But still, ‘mon the ICT

Edited by roverthemoon