Thistle v Rovers

Hank Scorpio

1 hour ago, inreganhendrywetrust said:

Financially would it not be better for us to have the final against the Colts ?

Its moot now but the chances are the that "big" team would probably have a game the same day (as happened for this one) and you wouldn't get many Rangers fans going to the final.

13 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Its moot now but the chances are the that "big" team would probably have a game the same day (as happened for this one) and you wouldn't get many Rangers fans going to the final.

No Premiership games that weekend due to internationals.

36 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

The time the suits get their hospitality,expenses and the hosting club their fee for ground rental and % of gate receipts  there,ll be little or fook all left to split between the finalists

True. Prize money is where we’ll make any decent cash. 

On 15/02/2020 at 00:55, roverthemoon said:

It’s a funny one. We all know this is a kind of diddy cup, but when you support a club like Rovers or Dunfermline then ‘success’ is few and far between. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want success at whatever level it’s at.  

Again, would you go mental for a Fife Cup win? what about the youth teams winning a cup? Where do you draw the line? As a competition it means absolutely nothing to me, a venture where clubs lose money and the competition has been devalued enormously by colt sides being in it. Most sides bang out reserve sides in the hope they won't pick up any injuries from it. If Hendry picks up an injury in the final and misses the run in will you still be buzzing you won the semi? Unless the answer is yes then just how seriously do you value the competition? 

When Inverness won it against Dumbarton the celebrations amounted to a polite round of applause, which sounds about right. 

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Again, would you go mental for a Fife Cup win? what about the youth teams winning a cup? Where do you draw the line? As a competition it means absolutely nothing to me, a venture where clubs lose money and the competition has been devalued enormously by colt sides being in it. Most sides bang out reserve sides in the hope they won't pick up any injuries from it. If Hendry picks up an injury in the final and misses the run in will you still be buzzing you won the semi? Unless the answer is yes then just how seriously do you value the competition? 

When Inverness won it against Dumbarton the celebrations amounted to a polite round of applause, which sounds about right. 

I don't think this cup is anyone's real priority. Success for me was getting through the early rounds without injuries. 

However there is a bit of a feel good factor round our club at the moment, and the players obviously really wanted to win on Friday. That's good enough for me. I would take getting scudded in the final for promotion every single day, but I don't think winning a cup would do our title chances any harm, no matter how small. And I say that as someone who has seen greater cup success for Raith Rovers than you will ever, ever see for Dunfermline ;)

We've already won this cup in the very best possible manner it can be, so winning it again wouldn't be much more than a wee bonus. But I like what I'm seeing at the club at the moment and if the players are keen for it then that's good enough for me. 

Madness that the finalists will only get a guaranteed fee of £20k, but suppose this is the challenge cup.

I think there was an interview from the Club, runner-up receives £25k & winner receives £40k. I would imagine that is prize money only. And there would be the gate split monies on top, however little that may be.

7 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I And I say that as someone who has seen greater cup success for Raith Rovers than you will ever, ever see for Dunfermline  

And I'm sure an old Pars fans would say similar to you. 

In my time as a Pars fan we've had better cup success than Raith, the league Cup victory happened in my lifetime but I've got absolutely no memories from that time in my life. 

Hopefully I've got a good few years left in me yet, I've still got hope of another cup run. 

14 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Calderon pretty much summed it up perfectly. It’s below the Scottish Cup, the League Cup and the League One title/promotion through the play-offs in my priorities at the start of this season.  Does that mean I won’t enjoy the day out at the final and celebrate if we win it? Of course I will. Will it match winning the League Cup in 1994? No. In the same way, beating Rangers in the Ramsden’s final didn’t, but still an enjoyable day out. Sure, Reagan Hendry could pull a hamstring in the final. Equally, a win might fire the team on to promotion. Who knows. 

I just don’t get this notion of not celebrating your first team winning things.  I’m not 15 years old, so theres no kudos anymore in pretending to be cool and that only certain achievements matter. I’ve watched a lot of shit Raith teams over the years and had a lot of frustration and disappointment. If I can get enjoyment out of beating Inverness in a Diddy final or even beating Partick last Friday, then I’m going to take it.  To not do so based on the notion that it’s not as important as watching Scott Thomson save McStay’s penalty is perverse.