Saints v Motherwell, Wednesday 12th February 2020

Add that I thought Butcher looked decent but made that mistake before of being too early to judge guys. Positive first proper impression though, which is important. 
As others have said (and as someone who liked him) has the Motherwell number 8 eaten Tony Watt? 
Looked good, if incredibly one footed. Definitely saw a Paton-esqe 270 turn at one point

A deserved three points.

First half was pretty even and thought we maybe gave up too much possession although Motherwell never looked like doing much with it. After getting a break with the goal (well taken as well tbf), looked comfortable before a gift of an equaliser. Second half pressured a lot better without the ball and as a result dominated. Lacked a bit of composure and a bit of luck and felt like a second home game in a row where we'd get 1 point instead of a deserved 3. Delighted for Kane though, and its good that suddenly there's competition amongst the strikers. Hendry by far his best game as a lone striker thus far.

The run from Kerr at the end shows the difference in the side; everyone suddenly is looking to take a grasp of situations and take responsibility. Thought the two full were good. Great to see the link up between Wotherspoon and Booth. I've said along I'd like Ralston long term. He's still rash at times but I think there is a solid right back there given time.

Jesus, we are absolute dug meat atm. There was quite a few times where I was genuinely laughing at how bad some of our play was.

St Johnstone deserving of the points but they didn’t really have to be anything above poor themselves to get them. 

Important run of games coming up for us now, where a few wins are needed for our confidence as well as the points.

Edited by Londonwell

Absolutely deserved the 3 points there, nice to see us getting the reward for hard work and a better attitude. After the break there was only one team that looked like they cared. Exactly the sort of game that we've seen too often this season and  come away with a point or nothing.

Playe- wise; having reversed my view on Zander I'm back to thinking he needs rested. He just needs some time on the bench IMO. Back 4 solid enough, I've never been as down on Ralston as some here so good to see him having a very decent game. Have to disagree with @PauloPerth about Drey, thought some of his crossing was very good. He makes the odd mistake but usually that's when he's trying something a bit flash, which I think is fine as he's unpredictable and a handful to play against. He put in a power of work tonight too. 

Special mention to Holt who I thought had just about his best game for us tonight, and McCann is just a different level. Hope that Craig is OK because that looked a sore knock although after a bit of a shaky start I really liked the look of Butcher. 

Overall a great result and performance, but still the nagging suspicion that we're just better in 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.  Hendry is the best in the lone striker role that we have but all of our strikers work better with a partner. 

Motherwell were ... disappointing. The kindest thing to say about Tony Watt is that he 'lacks match sharpness'. 

So that's us had 6 points from the 3rd and 4th in the league in the last week. Not sure if it's really possible to say that you can be 'looking forward to going to Dingwall' but think I am. 

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Absolutely deserved the 3 points there, nice to see us getting the reward for hard work and a better attitude. After the break there was only one team that looked like they cared. Exactly the sort of game that we've seen too often this season and  come away with a point or nothing.

Playe- wise; having reversed my view on Zander I'm back to thinking he needs rested. He just needs some time on the bench IMO. Back 4 solid enough, I've never been as down on Ralston as some here so good to see him having a very decent game. Have to disagree with @PauloPerth about Drey, thought some of his crossing was very good. He makes the odd mistake but usually that's when he's trying something a bit flash, which I think is fine as he's unpredictable and a handful to play against. He put in a power of work tonight too. 

Special mention to Holt who I thought had just about his best game for us tonight, and McCann is just a different level. Hope that Craig is OK because that looked a sore knock although after a bit of a shaky start I really liked the look of Butcher. 

Overall a great result and performance, but still the nagging suspicion that we're just better in 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.  Hendry is the best in the lone striker role that we have but all of our strikers work better with a partner. 

Motherwell were ... disappointing. The kindest thing to say about Tony Watt is that he 'lacks match sharpness'. 

So that's us had 6 points from the 3rd and 4th in the league in the last week. Not sure if it's really possible to say that you can be 'looking forward to going to Dingwall' but think I am. 

He put one good cross in all game as far as I recall; a nice shaped cross at head height that I thought Kane (I think) might have attacked more.  Ralston and Holt both put far more threatening balls across the 6 yard box.

Drey tears defenders apart but rarely delivers a ball to a Saints player or creates chances.  He's great to watch other that, I like him as a player.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

He put one good cross in all game as far as I recall; a nice shaped cross at head height that I thought Kane (I think) might have attacked more.  Ralston and Holt both put far more threatening balls across the 6 yard box.

Drey tears defenders apart but rarely delivers a ball to a Saints player or creates chances.  He's great to watch other that, I like him as a player.

Maybe, your memory is probably better than mine but I recall thinking his deliveries deserved better in the box. Agree on Ralston and Holt and Spoony also had a decent game. He should never have been having a shot from that free kick though. 

Ralston is having something of a Darnell Fisher season. Started out with us looking a bit lost but has suddenly become a pretty decent right back. He’s improved immeasurably along with the rest of the team. What a difference a bit of confidence and the form of others around them can make on a player. Hope he keeps improving at the rate he is.

Edited by Kyle

Bit rich Well fans giving Clark pelters when their keeper gave away two goals as opposed to one. 

Quite apart from Zanders horror show for the goal the defending was poor. Thee players in the cb position all swarming the through ball because one of them, Craig, far too slow to have any hope of reaching it. The motherwell run wasn't tracked at all given how slow we know we are. 

Thank god for Hendry

Deserved to win, wasnt a contest in the second half. The dive for the second yellow was so ridiculous I assumed the ref would just give the penalty. 

Hendry is a great laugh, he absolutely loved battering Gallagher about, could almost see his eyes light up every time the ball was sailing in that direction. 

Some run by Kerr for the goal, but I think it was an own goal rather than Kane, tbh. Butcher looks absolutely massive (in a good way), Watt looks absolutely massive (in a bad way).

Was quite happy when Watt came on to play as a lone striker tbh, you know fine well he'll spend the whole time touching the ball at corner flags or 50 yards from goal, and as always he posed zero goal threat. Sure hope we didnt get Motherwell fans hopes up on that front...

Ralstons improved to the point you dont notice him. Shame Celtic would demand £1m for him and leave him rotting in the reserves until County panic sign him next season.

I think Kane will be awarded the goal. I don't think any of the camera angles are conclusive, unless the 'alternative angle' shots that I'm sure will appear later show something that the tv cameras didn't.

Clear form his Saints tv interview that it's an own goal though. :lol: 

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think Kane will be awarded the goal. I don't think any of the camera angles are conclusive, unless the 'alternative angle' shots that I'm sure will appear later show something that the tv cameras didn't.

Clear form his Saints tv interview that it's an own goal though. :lol: 

Not seen the interview but had a good view and it absolutely looked like Kane got the touch that changed the path of the ball.  Not the first time I've been wrong though. 

Good to see some scenes at McDairmid and hopefully it will bring back the singing section, who were brilliant. 

Last 4 games have been great value entertainment for Saints fans in one way or another. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

11 hours ago, Radford said:

Motherwell did "play it out from the back" but only to the extent of working Hartley or Gallagher an opening to hump it long. 

I have no problem with teams doing that, only managers who try and deny it and criticise the approach of the opposition. 

I’m not sure it’s so much a tactic from us as it is from the opposition.

Cut off the pass to Donnelly-see 1st goal last night- and have your wingers push up onto our fullbacks. This will force Hartley/Gallagher into going long and since we no physical presence in the final third at all after Cole/Scott left, we end up clipping aimless balls forward that we invariably lose. Rinse and repeat. 

I wasn’t there last night but this is exactly what Livi done to nullify us last week and I’d be stunned if more teams didn’t follow suit.

59 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I’m not sure it’s so much a tactic from us as it is from the opposition.

Cut off the pass to Donnelly-see 1st goal last night- and have your wingers push up onto our fullbacks. This will force Hartley/Gallagher into going long and since we no physical presence in the final third at all after Cole/Scott left, we end up clipping aimless balls forward that we invariably lose. Rinse and repeat. 

I wasn’t there last night but this is exactly what Livi done to nullify us last week and I’d be stunned if more teams didn’t follow suit.

Pretty much. Even at the weekend against St Mirren you saw Donnelly getting caught out in the same sort of area.

The irony of course is that if Gallagher had just launched the ball last night we probably wouldn't have conceded that 2nd goal. Instead we hand over possession in daft areas of the park - same with the first goal.

Game management (or lack of it) has been a common theme this season - going back as far as the County game at FP and for all it's easy to brush games against Celtic under the carpet those are the games where we've been exposed the most.

All the same 1-1 in +3 of injury time...just take the point and move on rather than fucking about in our defensive third. F**k.Sake lads.

Edited by capt_oats