Saints v Motherwell, Wednesday 12th February 2020

5 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

how's the weather holding up that neck of the woods? planning on driving up from East Kilbride after work.

Been away but just got home (live 2 mins from McDiarmid).

It's cold but plenty of sunshine, no rain/snow/sleet just now.

Not a huge appetite for midweek games especially at this time of year. You could see from the Aberdeen support at Hamilton last night and although some of that was to do with the fact they are unhappy at being 3rd for whatever reason.....

That plus we have a cup replay next Tuesday means I expect a very low Well support as most myself included will prioritise that game. The upshot is we will not need 3 stands for this evenings game. In fact we may only need marginally more than 300 seats.

St Johnstone have always been a tough opponent and whilst that was less evident at the Fir Park game that was one game. We were lucky to win up there earlier in the season. I expect a very tough game and think a draw is the more likely outcome. If we concede first then I do worry about our ability to recover and get a positive result. That said another defeat and suddenly you can start to think our positive season could unravel. Hope not and we can get back at it. 

Am I allowed to say I think our set up will decide the fate of this game?

Get it right and we'll be able to grind out a result, get it wrong and we're fucked. If we could match the second half against Hearts here then we'd be onto a winner, but you begin to wonder what effect this run of games is having. Hard fought 45 v Hearts, hard working 90 against Aberdeen, then another 90 battling against the weather at the weekend. Squad has been rotated relatively well though.

Type of game, at this stage, where youd take a point and carry on your merry way towards the split if you're hoping to avoid the drop. If we genuinely want the top half then it's a must win.

I think we need to be realistic and say a point in a good result in this game. We have been much better recently but we're not out of the woods yet and we've already seen that this side is capable of going on a horror run. It's testament to the players and the manager that we've pulled ourselves up the table after such a bad start but I still think we're a few points away from really looking up the table and aspiring for a top 6 spot. The fact we're 3 points behind Hibs in 6th with a game in hand at this stage of the season is ridiculous though.

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think we need to be realistic and say a point in a good result in this game. We have been much better recently but we're not out of the woods yet and we've already seen that this side is capable of going on a horror run. It's testament to the players and the manager that we've pulled ourselves up the table after such a bad start but I still think we're a few points away from really looking up the table and aspiring for a top 6 spot. The fact we're 3 points behind Hibs in 6th with a game in hand at this stage of the season is ridiculous though.

Head agrees, but heart says that with County at the weekend going all out for 6 points is what I'd like to see before we hit a really rotten run of games of 4 OF games and only 1 other home game before we play Hamilton in the last game before the split. I think we're due a result here and against RC. If we can do that, and get to 33 points, it would make the games against Livingston  and Hibs meaningful top-6 deciders. 

With Hamilton losing last night and Hearts away to Celtic, I would expect that by 10pm tonight 3 of the 4 teams below us will have lost tonight. I think a gung-ho home performance is a gamble worth taking. 

Edit to add - Livingston have Sevco at Ibrox then Hibs and Livi play each other before they play us. Yet more reason to double down and push for the 3 points tonight!

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

I don't disagree - we shouldn't be playing for a 0-0 or anything but I'd view a draw as a positive result rather than a negative one. I think both sides will fancy their chances tonight - not expecting the absolute belter of a game that we got against Hearts again but I think it could be end to end if both teams open up as they can.

Don't see this being a high scoring game.  As mentioned, I can see both teams being very happy with a point but both will still look to nick it.  I think it'll be either 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

I can see us making a few changes in this one, given the heavy fun of fixtures of late.

Gillespie

Grimshaw, Gallagher, Mugabi, Tait.

Campbell, Donnelly, O'Hara.

Long, Mazinga, Hylton

Edited by Desp

Think @tree house tam has been hinting that his laddie told him over lunch he'll be starting, and I cant see Kerr or McCart really being dropped.

Few key decisions if we do go to back five. Obviously who starts on the right (Ralston/Wright), and left (Booth/Tanser) as both have options better defensively/offensively, who starts beside McCann in the middle, and who starts up top (surely after scoring Hendry has to get another start).

If we play 3 at the back, RG would pick...

LINEUP111581528700003.thumb.png.80b06d25a401b55474de93fe8f7f3090.png

2 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Hendry up front on his own.

Didn't see that coming.

Not completely for this, but then again neither am I upset by it. 

What makes sense to me is that Wotherspoon and Wright will both launch excellent crosses onto Hendy's heid. What I'm a bit perplexed by is that playes to the strengths of the Motherwell defence.

Still, Ralston, Wright, McCann, Spoony can all shoot from distance and we we're only recently discovered Hendry is good at drawing fouls and excellent at the resulting dead balls. 

I've talked myself into liking it.