Tell us about your first ever game

First league game was way back in the 60s...against East Fife, a game that was being filmed for a (original) Doctor Finlays Casebook story-line.

First Scotland game would be against England at Hampden (1970, or thereabouts), finished 0-0.

Edited by vespa

10 hours ago, Lancashirearab said:

My first game was on the third of January 1970. My dad had driven us up from our army house in Hampshire for the festive period and after the excitement of Christmas and New Year, I was about to experience my first football match. My dad had a love of Dundee because of the great team he had grown up with. My grandad had a love of United and still wore his black and white scarf with pride. I had no allegiances. I cannot remember much about the match, but after United won 4-1, I chose them as my team. Thank goodness for that.

So in both cases, our first games involved Dundee supporting Dads taking us to 1970s Dundee games,which resulted in us developing lifelong devotions to their opponents.

First game was a 0-0 draw in the pissing rain vs Raith in 1987, Kenny Watson had a penalty saved by Hamish McAlpine. Had no idea at that stage that the ref pointed to the spot to award penalties and thought it was based on how the crowd shouted (edit: still is at selected other Glasgow stadia) 

First Scotland game was the 1-0 over Greece in 1995 where mccoist came off the bench to score with a header. 

Edited by Fuctifano

21 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The next game I went to was my first away game, headed to East End Park, where Dunfermline papped us 5-0 and we went bottom of the table. Got used to shite like that happening on the regular from then on.

What a day that was. Leish has just taken over from Davie Hay and we ran riot. Atmosphere in that first half was sensational.

September 1967 at Dens. Dundee 2 Aberdeen 1. Lost the League Cup final 5-3 to the Lisbon Lions the following month then narrowly lost 2-1 on agg to at that time the mighty Leeds Utd in the semi final of the Fairs Cup the following year. Hooked for life, most of it mediocre however apart from winning the League Cup in 73. Some classics watching the Dees though

Edited by ScottyDee1893

27 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

September 1967 at Dens. Dundee 2 Aberdeen 1. Lost the League Cup final 5-3 to the Lisbon Lions the following month then narrowly lost 2-1 on agg to at that time the mighty Leeds Utd in the semi final of the Fairs Cup the following year. Hooked for life, most of it mediocre however apart from winning the League Cup in 73. Some classics watching the Dees though

Did Peter Lorimer play in the Leeds games, out of interest?

April 1967 against Hamilton. 6-1 to the Ton.

Remember the crowd seemed massive as I stay next to Greenock Jns Ravensgraig park where they got about 500 at games.

Football played by Morton was a class above the juniors I was used to seeing. So never went back to Ravenscraig

5 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

What a day that was. Leish has just taken over from Davie Hay and we ran riot. Atmosphere in that first half was sensational.

Did I dream this or did sammy the Tammy shout come on ye pars into a mic before the game?

:lol:

First game properly remembered is Thistle 1 v Aberdeen 2 in the SC quarter final 1983. Had been to loads of games before this but had spent most of the time playing 'tig' on the terracing!
Seem to remember it was a Peter Weir free kick that crushed my dreams that day and someone else has popped up to crush them every year since ....

On 06/02/2020 at 22:21, Hammer Jag said:

First ever Thistle game - Partick Thistle 6-3 Dundee season 92/93.

First ever Scotland game - Scotland 2-0 Latvia 1997 - Scotland qualified for France 1998.

Its been pretty shite since.

A surreal scoreline considering they came to Firhill the season before and horsed us 6-2 (if memory serves).

My first game was a 1-0 home win against Meadowbank in October 1987. I remember my dad teaching me that I was to cheer for Thistle, and boo the opposition. Meadowbank were in black, as were the refs (and linesmen). The officials came out for their half-time warm up and were roundly booed by 4 year old me. 

First Scotland game was a friendly against Poland in 1990. I remember f**k all about the game. In fact, I was on the terrace playing about with some fellow wee boys and barely paid any attention to the game. I didn't really go to Scotland games until about 2000 because I'm an utter masochist apparently.

10 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

April 1967 against Hamilton. 6-1 to the Ton.

Remember the crowd seemed massive as I stay next to Greenock Jns Ravensgraig park where they got about 500 at games.

Football played by Morton was a class above the juniors I was used to seeing. So never went back to Ravenscraig

Glory hunter

Dunfermline 0 - 1 Coventry City 

I think. I think I was 9 years old. We had just been promoted so...1996? I remember being in the south of the West terracing (now the Norrie Stand). Westwater let the ball squirm under him and through his legs for the only goal of the game, as far as I can remember. Cant find any details on the match online.

My dad is Glasgow born and bred, grew up with an interest in Rangers, even bought me a Rangers shirt which I wore before I knew any better. I have forgiven him, obviously. Pestered him to goto see the Pars and the rest is history. Both Pars through n through and still goto the games together. 

Not sure about my first home game as they all blend together, but my first away game was against Stirling Albion around the turn of the century. If I remember correctly, Landry Zahani-Oni scored after forty-seven seconds, Thistle had two men sent off and conceded a second all before half time but got two late goals to somehow rescue a draw.

My first international was Bosnia vs Turkey in Sarajevo. 3-2 Bosnia after being 1-0 and 2-1 down. An eighteen-year-old Edin Dzeko got the winner. Worth a watch on YouTube as there were a couple of screamers in there.

Both games are still probably in my top ten.

On 06/02/2020 at 21:50, RossBFaeDundee said:

The next game I went to was my first away game, headed to East End Park, where Dunfermline papped us 5-0 and we went bottom of the table. Got used to shite like that happening on the regular from then on.

I was mascot for that game. 

Anyway my first game was the 99/00 season, first home game of the season and it was against Inverness, think it was a 4-0/4-1 win for the Pars, I'd not long moved down from Inverness so it was pretty fitting. 

First away game was a league cup game away to Cowdenbeath, we went 1-0 down to an absolute screamer before coming back to win 2-1 aet, mum was pretty raging with my dad because it was a school night. 

First ever game was in 1969, Queens v Ayr United. Me and my mate had places on a bus going to Wembley for the England v Scotland international and as 14 year old school boys needed every penny for that so decided to save money and cycle from Sanquhar to Dumfries and back ..... a mere 55 miles.

Ayr were going up as champions if memory serves but Queens won 3:2 with Jimmy Welsh scoring a hattrick ........Scotland lost to England 4:1 in an Evening kickoff .......

Happy days .............

First away game was a 5:1 drubbing in the Scottish Cup at Parkhead .

Edited by stravaigar

Must have been 1983 Junior Cup 5th round, Kilbirnie Ladeside v Auchinleck Talbot. I was 4 and remember nothing about the game other than it being mobbed and the Ladeside scarf my cousin bought me for the game.

I've never been to a junior match since but I'm hoping to remedy that at some point this year. Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

Dunfermline 0 - 1 Coventry City 

I think. I think I was 9 years old. We had just been promoted so...1996? I remember being in the south of the West terracing (now the Norrie Stand). Westwater let the ball squirm under him and through his legs for the only goal of the game, as far as I can remember. Cant find any details on the match online.

My dad is Glasgow born and bred, grew up with an interest in Rangers, even bought me a Rangers shirt which I wore before I knew any better. I have forgiven him, obviously. Pestered him to goto see the Pars and the rest is history. Both Pars through n through and still goto the games together. 

Similar situation to myself. My old man has a season ticket now and I don't so he's the real fan in his own mind 🤣 his season is in the norrie though, I'll go North West if I'm going the match.