Tell us about your first ever game

Mine was 29th November 1993 a 0-0 home draw against Hearts. Not a second tier fixture right enough, I have never watched my club play at that level.

I only really remember the walk into the old RP from that night and going into the toilets which were (from memory) dreadful wee brick outhouse type toilets. Similar to what you get at Ayr now, 25 years later.  Couldn’t tell you anything about the game but I remember standing down the front against the barrier with the other kids with my uncle standing a bit further back.

Next game I remember was a 2-0 win against Celtic when Rudd Vata broke his arm right in front of me and was screaming his head off, it gave me a fright that day I’d never seen anything like it.

From the following season it was the start of the new RP.

Season 02/03. Just like the Scottish Cup that season, Rangers knocked us out in the quarter finals. We really had bad luck that season the way the draws went as, the way we were playing in the cup competitions, we could have went all the way in both, but we met an absolutely formidable Rangers team on both occasions. 
Massive Pars crowd there that night at the Cowdenbeath Gulag.
Remember the QF at east end vaguely. Think we played really well, Grondin scored. The replay was when I was on holiday in tenerife and my mother actively encouraged to wear my dunfermline top when we went to the ibrox bar to watch it. Very uncomfortable evening ensued. Not one of her brightest ideas.

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:
5 hours ago, DAFC. said:
Season 02/03. Just like the Scottish Cup that season, Rangers knocked us out in the quarter finals. We really had bad luck that season the way the draws went as, the way we were playing in the cup competitions, we could have went all the way in both, but we met an absolutely formidable Rangers team on both occasions. 
Massive Pars crowd there that night at the Cowdenbeath Gulag.

Remember the QF at east end vaguely. Think we played really well, Grondin scored. The replay was when I was on holiday in tenerife and my mother actively encouraged to wear my dunfermline top when we went to the ibrox bar to watch it. Very uncomfortable evening ensued. Not one of her brightest ideas.

I remember that game, didn't realise they were the same season. 

Was a good finish by Grondin. 

Was it the same game that Barry Ferguson got sent off late on for decapitating Noel Hunt? Or was that 

21 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I was ballboy at the Cup tie with Rangers. Was stood right behind the net, in front of the orcs, when Grondin scored.

For some reason I'd completely forgotten it was a quarter-final though.

Yes. They absolutely humped us in the replay at Ipox.

The League Cup game was a sore one as well. I think we coped reasonably well with them and Caniggia came on and scored straight from a free-kick beyond Ruitenbeek. 

ETA - I totally forgot this until my uncle reminded me: I had to get a steward to do an announcement over the tannoy at HT as I lost my uncle and the seat I was meant to be at after going for a wiz. Tears and snotters. I think I was 8 at the time. 

Edited by DAFC.

Natural Everton fan here (born in the city) and my first game was a 6-0 victory against Chelsea in 1978 where Bob Latchford scored his 30th goal to win a massive £10k.

Gave up my season ticket when I moved to Scotland 20 years ago. I remember helping Arbroath sell tickets for the Celtic replay back in 2012. They gave me a ticket for helping them and were selling half-season tickets for under £100 so bought one. Took the missus to the game and remember being colder than I have ever been in my life standing at Gayfield - could hardly walk back to the car we were so frozen. Enjoyed freezing my nuts off every season since (although doing data collection this season has seen me miss a few games). Much prefer lower league part-time football to the commercial nonsense that is 'big' teams.

September 1965 Dees at home to Rangers, 1-1. It was a bit of a blur at that age (5) but I do remember getting a 'highstie' over the turnstile so my dad didnt have to pay!  Checking back there were 21, 000+ at the game with room to spare (Dens could take 40-45k back then).

Edited by rainbowrising

Thistle 4 - St Johnstone 4 at Firhill in the diddy cup, probably about 2005 or 2006. I'd have been about 15 at the time, was asked along by a friend with a soft spot for Thistle that was going and went "yeah why not".

Had been along to a Rangers/Celtic charity legends match for a friend's birthday party one time in primary school which was about the sum total of my match going of any kind - didn't have any OF leanings one way or another because tbh I didn't really have any interest in football, right up until I sat and watched Euro 2004. Got swept up in it, iirc the Czech Republic were superb that tournament, bought and played PES for the PS2 and loved that, then started watching English league games on TV since we had Sky at the time.

Thistle lost that game against St Johnstone on penalties which, in hindsight, might have been some sort of way fate was warning me off taking any sort of interest in the club. I did, though, and shite as the last 30 months of football have been (christ) I'm still ultimately glad I did, have had a season ticket a few times and tried seeing what it's like at away matches a handful of times too. Also went to the penalty shootout win over Inverness although I can't mind if that was the same season or slightly later on.

Only real regret is not getting into football a bit sooner, since I've never had any sort of coaching and can struggle a good bit at 5's/7's as a result. Doubt somewhat I'd have ever had any chance as a pro but it'd have been nice to have played with a youth club or something.

Did I dream this or did sammy the Tammy shout come on ye pars into a mic before the game?
[emoji38]
He did, very surreal.
I was ballboy at the Cup tie with Rangers. Was stood right behind the net, in front of the orcs, when Grondin scored.
For some reason I'd completely forgotten it was a quarter-final though.
That game I think was live on Channel 5. They had a decent programme too.

My first game was a friendly against Bolton, Jason McAteer was massive at the time and read about him in Match and Shoot magazines, so for 7 or 8 year old me was a big deal. My dad took me after I found out Dunfermline had a team and I ditched my horrific "supporting" of Rangers for life, I despised then from that day on.

First away day I think might have been St Mirren on the Brucefield around 02. We lost. Didn't see us win an away game for a few years.

First Scotland game I'm not entirely sure but it was when Walter Smith was in charge, either Belarus defeat or Slovenia midweek.

First game for me was May 1994, final day of the season against Clyde. We won 5-0, George O'Boyle got 4 and Andy Tod the other. Unfortunately, missed out on the title by a point, although I didn't really realise that at the time.

94/95 saw the start of me going home and away regularly with my old man. Still do now, which I probably value more these days than I did when I was wee.

First Scotland game was at home to Belgium in 2001. 2-2 draw, with last minute equaliser for Belgium, after we had been 2 up and they went down to 10 men. First away game was in Brussels that campaign - a 2-0 defeat, hopes of going to the World Cup over.

Joyful.

Showing my age a bit here. Can remember my old man taking me to a reserve game at Somerset against Falkirk. Would have been 4 or 5 at the time. Ayr won 4-2 and the first team also beat Falkirk at Brockville that day, I believe it was 3-2.
First away game was Clyde at Shawfield on the final day of the season where Ayr avoided relegation, despite losing. Mid/early 1980's?
First Scotland game was a 1-1 draw with England at Hampden. Mark McGhee scored for Scotland from a Gordon Strachan cross but England equalised before half time to a stunned silence. How dare they!

2 hours ago, yorkshirepud said:

Showing my age a bit here. Can remember my old man taking me to a reserve game at Somerset against Falkirk. Would have been 4 or 5 at the time. Ayr won 4-2 and the first team also beat Falkirk at Brockville that day, I believe it was 3-2.
First away game was Clyde at Shawfield on the final day of the season where Ayr avoided relegation, despite losing. Mid/early 1980's?
First Scotland game was a 1-1 draw with England at Hampden. Mark McGhee scored for Scotland from a Gordon Strachan cross but England equalised before half time to a stunned silence. How dare they!

That made me think...my first International was Scotland - West Germany at Hampden 1973. 1-1 and a pitch littered with famous names, Law, Dalglish, Bremner, McGrain, Jardine, Jordan, Beckenbauer, Vogts, Netzer. I was still heading to the stadium when Jim Holton scored in the opening minutes. You could hear the roar. So I missed my first Scotland goal at my first game 🙄

Edited by rainbowrising

Guest DAVIDB69

East v west dougie Wilkie testimonial at tannadice in 1979. Player was badly injured in the invergowrie train crash , this article says it was in 1981 it definitely wasn’t I’m convinced it was December 79 as the rail crash was October 79

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2015/12/23/blether-with-brown-its-testimony-to-doug-wilkie-that-they-came-from-the-east-and-west-to-play-for-him/

I had been pestering my Dad to take me for ages - I used to sit in front of the TV watching the old vidiprinter watching the scores come in, and if they gave the names of the Dunfermline scorers I used to ask my Dad what John Watson's goal was like or whatever when he got home. Eventually he relented when we were on the brink of promotion from Division 2 to Division 1 and took me to the Queen of the South game where an Iain Heddle goal gave us a 1-0 win. After that I was taken to a few games and got a season ticket for the next season.

It was the mid/late 90’s and we were playing Dundee Utd. My Dad, my uncle, two cousins and I all set off for it. We stood on the North Terracing and that’s the only time I’ve ever stood there for some reason. I can’t even remember the score, but I remember we got chips afterwards. Sadly my Dad is no longer with us but this memory will remain for the rest of my life 

Edited by Thereisalight..

It seems like a long time ago!

Must have been the late 70's, early 80's v Killie at Rugby Park. The pitch was rock hard, totally frozen and I remember Alan Ball got a serious injury, he was treated for ages on the goal line. I'm thinking it was a broken leg, but may be mistaken. The game ended in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. I can't remember much else about the game other than the fact it was freezing!

It seems like a long time ago!
Must have been the late 70's, early 80's v Killie at Rugby Park. The pitch was rock hard, totally frozen and I remember Alan Ball got a serious injury, he was treated for ages on the goal line. I'm thinking it was a broken leg, but may be mistaken. The game ended in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. I can't remember much else about the game other than the fact it was freezing!

We drew 0-0 at Kilmarnock in December 1978. I think due to frost and snow it was one of the very few fixtures that went ahead that day and the “highlights” of a pretty dire encounter were shown that night on Sportscene. I think Allan Ball broke his arm a few weeks later at home to Ayr United.

0-0 draw against clyde. november 2005. Thistle chasing an ultimately succesfully second succesive relegation. loved it. finally got to go and see thistle in the flesh. loved the fans swearing and the songs as well, the singers were still in the jackie at this point. loved seeing the players come out to banana split as well in the half red/half yellow kits. seemed to love billy gibson for some reason that day. even at 8 years old, everything about clyde just seemed evil and unpleasant and they didnt even have sex offenders or rapists playing for them at this point. joined at a low ebb and have never looked back...rode the train from relegation to the third tier right to the top 6 of the premiership until now where im literally almost back were i started.... forever a jag 🇧🇪

Edited by Daftjag