Tell us about your first ever game

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So in both cases, our first games involved Dundee supporting Dads taking us to 1970s Dundee games,which resulted in us developing lifelong devotions to their opponents.

It was the way things happened in the 1970s.

And the 1980s....

I was 6 in the 1990 season when my dad and grandad took me to Gayfield for the first time and just fell in love with the club straightaway and haven’t looked back, Was a magical day 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🙌⚽️ We were playing Albion Rovers and won 2-1 with Big Alan McKenna & Stuart Sorbie scoring the goals if I can remember correctly.

Any - Likely a Port Glasgow Juniors game at Parklea (the old Woodhall one) as my uncle played in goals and my dad liked to go along and watch his brother.

Morton - The cup replay against Aberdeen in 1978 (after we'd snatched a draw at Pittodrie with 2 goals in the dying minutes). My dad had been persuaded to go and took me too. Clearly remember being really tired next day at school (I was 6). He loved the atmosphere and we were hooked after that.

Scotland - a poor 1-0 defeat at Hampden by Holland in a friendly which was to celebrate the ground becoming all seated or something. Early 90s, I think.

On 07/02/2020 at 19:33, Monkey Tennis said:

Did Peter Lorimer play in the Leeds games, out of interest?

I'm sure he did. The ones I definitely remember were Gary Sprake, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Paul Reaney, Johnny Giles, Eddie Gray and Allan Clark. I think Reaney may have put Leeds in front at Dens, Bobby Wilson equalised for us. Eddie Gray scored the winner at Elland Road. I think we may have hit the post at 0-0 at Leeds but not 100% certain

My first game I was at was a 5-2 United win over Hearts at Tannadice in season 94/95.

In the end a very disappointing relegation season.

First away game a 2-1 defeat to Aberdeen at Pittodrie on the penultimate game of that season.

Scotland - A 2-2 draw against Belgium in 2002 World Cup qualifying.   Scotland having been 2-0 up against 10 men and Belgium's equaliser coming in something like the 94th minute.

My grandfather took me to my first game, Dundee 2 Celtic 0 in the old First Division on Saturday 16 April 1960. Alan Gilzean and Shug Robertson got Dundee’s goals. Only thing I really remember is Celtic’s goalie being injured and Bobby Evans went in goal, no subs back then. Crowd of 15,000. Dundee finished 4th Celtic 9th. Hearts won the league with Kilmarnock 2nd. Stirling Albion and Arbroath relegated with St Johnstone and 2 weeks after my first game, Dundee United promoted. Nine of the Dundee team were members of the 1961/62 Champions.

23 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I was mascot for that game. 

Anyway my first game was the 99/00 season, first home game of the season and it was against Inverness, think it was a 4-0/4-1 win for the Pars, I'd not long moved down from Inverness so it was pretty fitting. 

First away game was a league cup game away to Cowdenbeath, we went 1-0 down to an absolute screamer before coming back to win 2-1 aet, mum was pretty raging with my dad because it was a school night. 

I remember that Cowden game, I ended up going because I won tickets. Can’t mind if it was through the paper or on the radio.

Took my pal from school and safe to say he didn’t attend any other Pars games.

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I remember that Cowden game, I ended up going because I won tickets. Can’t mind if it was through the paper or on the radio.

Took my pal from school and safe to say he didn’t attend any other Pars games.

Can you remember what season it was? I can remember Bullen scoring but it was a pretty grim game. 

My first game I was 10 and my dad took me and a pal to the first home game of the season. I hadn’t really had an interest in football until about 3 months prior and then I’d joined a team and loved the stickers at the time. I’d alligned myself with the mighty Dark Blues and we went to see us vs Dunfermline. I remember us not being allowed fruit shoots in and then Lee Wilkie firing in an own goal. We lost 2-0 but I was hooked. It pretty much sums up my life as a Dundee fan, us shooting ourselves in the foot and losing but wouldn’t trade it for anything

First game was the League Cup Final 1973 (15 December 1973) - I was 6 years old and barely remember it - apart from it took ages to get there on the fans bus - and I got a lot of pennies - especially on the way home!! Oh and it was really cold - Mumhad me wrapped up as if I was on an Antarctic expedition.

First game I really remember was the 1977 Scottish Cup match against Arbroath (12 March 1977) - we won 3-1 at Gayfield. Arbroath scored in the first minute through Tommy Yuil and hit the post when it was 1-1 in the second half - the final result did flatter us.

Gordon Strachan played like Cruyff that day - he scored and another hero of mine, Eric Sinclair scored a brace.

The crowd was 9558 - the days when you did get people turning up for Scottish Cup matches.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

First game was the League Cup Final 1973 (15 December 1973) - I was 6 years old and barely remember it - apart from it took ages to get there on the fans bus - and I got a lot of pennies - especially on the way home!! Oh and it was really cold - Mumhad me wrapped up as if I was on an Antarctic expedition.

First game I really remember was the 1977 Scottish Cup match against Arbroath (12 March 1977) - we won 3-1 at Gayfield. Arbroath scored in the first minute through Tommy Yuil and hit the post when it was 1-1 in the second half - the final result did flatter us.

Gordon Strachan played like Cruyff that day - he scored and another hero of mine, Eric Sinclair scored a brace.

The crowd was 9558 - the days when you did get people turning up for Scottish Cup matches.

I was at that game with a couple of my mates and none of us can remember seeing you there.

Gordan Strachan was a bit special for the Dark Blues and Eric Sinclair was my dad's favourite player at that time.

It wasn’t my first game but one of my first memories of going to Somerset Park was a game v Clyde. Think I was maybe about 5 or 6. I used to stand next to the away dugout with my Papa. I was chewing on a sweet which I proceeded to start choking on and the Clyde doctor clocked this and jumped the wall to my aid. 

21 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Can you remember what season it was? I can remember Bullen scoring but it was a pretty grim game. 

Season 02/03. Just like the Scottish Cup that season, Rangers knocked us out in the quarter finals. We really had bad luck that season the way the draws went as, the way we were playing in the cup competitions, we could have went all the way in both, but we met an absolutely formidable Rangers team on both occasions. 

Massive Pars crowd there that night at the Cowdenbeath Gulag.

The year was 1996, Don't Look Back in Anger was top of the charts, Jumanji was top of the box office band the Super crushed Berwick Rangers 5-0.  I didn't get back again that season but after the summer I got to go most weeks.  

I remember sitting in the stand and Ayr had stripey kits on neither of which has happened since.  

A surreal scoreline considering they came to Firhill the season before and horsed us 6-2 (if memory serves).
My first game was a 1-0 home win against Meadowbank in October 1987. I remember my dad teaching me that I was to cheer for Thistle, and boo the opposition. Meadowbank were in black, as were the refs (and linesmen). The officials came out for their half-time warm up and were roundly booed by 4 year old me. 
First Scotland game was a friendly against Poland in 1990. I remember f**k all about the game. In fact, I was on the terrace playing about with some fellow wee boys and barely paid any attention to the game. I didn't really go to Scotland games until about 2000 because I'm an utter masochist apparently.
It was the season after, Jim Leighton and Gary Paterson had an atrocity of a performance, culminating in Paterson scoring an OG from about 30 yards. The 6-2 was also nuts. Iirc Thistle were on top in the first half bug Eddie Gallagher scored a first half hat trick, inc two in stoppage time to put us 3-2. Kevin Bremner came on as a sub and scored twice. John McQuillan got the 6th. Eddie Gallagher scored 5 times in his first game and a half [emoji23]