Game streaming

Homer Thompson

As Microsoft clearly see this as the future

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51400135

does anyone on here use a streaming service to play games?

Theres been PS Now for a while, which worked well when I used to subscribe to it, and Google recently launched Stadia, but you can now also stream games from your home PC via Steam (slightly different setup) and NVIDIA have their own service - GEFORCE NOW https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce-now/

Any others out there?

The only  game streaming i do is playing a game on my Laptop that i have installed on my PC using Steam. It is ok providing your internet connection stays stable as the slightest change in it can relay kill your FPS

1 hour ago, ajwffc said:

The only  game streaming i do is playing a game on my Laptop that i have installed on my PC using Steam. It is ok providing your internet connection stays stable as the slightest change in it can relay kill your FPS

Yeah, Ive tried that. I was going to use it to play stuff on my laptop when I was away for work but I dont like leaving my PC on for that long in an empty house.

I just tried Nvidia Now tonight. It works really well but the game support is nowhere near as good as they make out. Can play FM19 but not 20, Fallout 3 but not 4 <_< Ive also realised that any mods or editor changes etc arent going to be possible

On 06/02/2020 at 23:41, Mr X said:

Yeah, Ive tried that. I was going to use it to play stuff on my laptop when I was away for work but I dont like leaving my PC on for that long in an empty house.

I just tried Nvidia Now tonight. It works really well but the game support is nowhere near as good as they make out. Can play FM19 but not 20, Fallout 3 but not 4 <_< Ive also realised that any mods or editor changes etc arent going to be possible

I've used 'GeForce Now' but only because I have a shield and you get some free access to certain games (mainly shite). The only game I own that I play semi-regularly is pro evo and the connection has been completely flawless, I don't notice any difference to playing on my laptop/console.  I'd use it more if the games library improved.

3 minutes ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

I've used 'GeForce Now' but only because I have a shield and you get some free access to certain games (mainly shite). The only game I own that I play semi-regularly is pro evo and the connection has been completely flawless, I don't notice any difference to playing on my laptop/console.  I'd use it more if the games library improved.

Yeah, the library is disappointing. I wonder if Google got an exclusive license for FM2020 to stream on Stadia. If so, how many other games are going to end up on there and not available on NVIDIA :unsure2:

Used Geforce Now on my laptop this afternoon for playing Cities Skylines and played without a hitch and only a tiny but of slowdown once. Hopefully they keep the free to use model although would consider the £5 a month if they expanded their game catalogue.

Only tangentially related but I just tried PS4 remote play at the weekend, really cool being able to stream ps4 gameplay onto my pc cutting down on cable fiddling.

Worked perfectly for Yakuza, not quite instant enough for trials or rocket league.

In summary, gave up the big tv to the wife, have moved ps4 closer to my pc monitor, everyone's a winner.

34 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Only tangentially related but I just tried PS4 remote play at the weekend, really cool being able to stream ps4 gameplay onto my pc cutting down on cable fiddling.

Worked perfectly for Yakuza, not quite instant enough for trials or rocket league.

In summary, gave up the big tv to the wife, have moved ps4 closer to my pc monitor, everyone's a winner.

I didn't even realise that the PS4 had a remote play option until now. Is there any way to run it through a fire stick or a cheap android box? It'd be handy for being able to play it in the bedroom.

I use streaming a fair bit.

Buying a better router than the default one you get from your ISP is a must, though.  The 5Ghz wifi makes all of the difference if you aren't wired via ethernet.  (Also for PS4 remote play I'd recommend a PS4 Pro because it's only the Pro version that supports 60fps streaming).

I've used the PS4 remote play app on a computer and iPad to play through
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (more than half of it)
- Persona 5 (probably 3/4 of it)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (maybe 1/4 of it)

All of these are quite large, content heavy games that I've put hundreds of hours into - I wouldn't have had the luxury of that without remote play to be honest.

These games  don't rely on twitch-response gameplay so it works absolutely fine for me. The video compression means that the picture isn't as flawless as playing directly on the TV/monitor that the device is hooked up to, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make.  The lag is minimal as well.

I've recently picked up The Witcher 3 because I never got near to finishing it, so I'm playing it on iPad via Steam Link. Their compression seems a bit heavier than the PS4 remote play. Still more than good enough to use though.

ETA: For the avoidance of doubt all of this is done within my own home.  I'm aware that it can be done over the internet as well but I doubt that the same experience would be possible on the 4G speeds and latency you get up here.

Edited by bunglebonce

I am very interested in a service like Google Stadia, but they've had a disastrous pre-launch/launch. As age marches on and I have fewer hours to play, I see less of a want to buy hardware that I'll rarely use to play the odd big game.   The Xbox game pass with remote streaming from their servers could be a huge selling point.

I didn't even realise that the PS4 had a remote play option until now. Is there any way to run it through a fire stick or a cheap android box? It'd be handy for being able to play it in the bedroom.
I'm not sure but I think you can use the app on an android phone.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but looking for advice on hardware for streaming games. My soon to be 11 year old son wants a PC and although I'm fairly tech-savvy, I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend an entry level PC or Laptop that would be good for this