Peterhead - Loons

It was no worse when called off than at the start of  the game, yes it did not make for attractive football but difficult to see why it was particularly dangerous, think the ref bottled it & was probably frightened of having to call it off if someone took the lead. As other folk have said we have completed matches in worse conditions. 

7 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

Fleming seemed to be the only person complaining about the weather to the ref, yet there looks like he had made no attempt to dig a hole to keep the ball on the spot, the spot was immaculate when we walked past after it was called off.

The other side of the 'blame game' coin.

The Forfar 'keeper complained to the ref when Cook had to place the ball several times at a PFC corner kick when the ball was moving .

On 07/02/2020 at 12:44, peternapper said:

If it does turn a bit windy tomorrow we could maybe ask Forfor to bring up some of their stewards they are dab hands at blocking folks view at Station Park so could maybe be used as a wind break at Balmoor 🤯

Guess our stewards didn't follow your advice and act as a wind break! 🤣

Fair to say I doubt many Forfarians will head back up to Peterhead for the Tuesday night rearranged fixture. 😴

The bottom line is - was it an enjoyable game to watch or was it a farce? Obviously home fans will feel aggrieved as they had held out for half an hour and were looking forward to the gale at their backs second half. If it's of any consequence, I took the dog for a walk in the park and was literally treading water and had to turn back. The ref was in a no win situation and probably made the right decision if you asked the goalkeepers.

12 minutes ago, Balmoor Boy said:

The bottom line is - was it an enjoyable game to watch or was it a farce? Obviously home fans will feel aggrieved as they had held out for half an hour and were looking forward to the gale at their backs second half. If it's of any consequence, I took the dog for a walk in the park and was literally treading water and had to turn back. The ref was in a no win situation and probably made the right decision if you asked the goalkeepers.

The correct decision would have been to call it before it started.

The correct decision would have been to call it before it started.

The correct decision would've been to let the game be played.

Absolutely farcical that was abandoned.

It's peterhead, its gonna be windy.

Maybe the ref was just a wee bit chilly and wanted home, hence the cop out explanation of 'safety concerns'

Interesting to hear conflicting comments about the wind factor. Seems to me that the majority of folk think that the weather wasnt any worse than it has been in games that have gone the full 90 minutes at Balmoor.

Am I right that the ref just all of a sudden put a stop to it without consulting the two managers? 

Balmoor is a windy gig even on a nice day so it will be interesting to see what other refs decide when in Peterhead in the future.

Also just realised that Forfar West End played Buchanhaven Hearts today less than half a mile from Balmoor. That game went all the way to a penalty decider and didn't finish until after 4 o'clock, HALF AN HOUR AFTER THE PETERHEAD GAME WAS ABANDONED! Same location, differentweather.   ..very strange!

Hope the travelling Forfar fans gave the Hearties gate a second half boost!!

13 minutes ago, Toon 68 said:

Ref seemed to consult main stand lino before speaking to both managers.  He also pointed a few times  to the far end, presumably about the replacing of the ball (maybe twice) prior to taking the corner kick 

Fair enough,  tough call given most games are subject to the wind at Balmoor. 

Hopefully I'll get up before the end of the season.

Does the new cafe do pre-match grub? Might have to have a change of pit stop as Mill of Mundurno no longer on my route thanks to the new bypass!

Edited by Dunderheid

1 minute ago, Dunderheid said:

Fair enough,  though call given most games are subject to the wind at Balmoor. 

Hopefully I'll get up before the end of the season.

Does the new cafe do pre-match grub? Might have to have a change of pit stop as Mill of Mundurno no longer on my route thanks to the new bypass!

The new cafe is very good. 

Had lunch there on a couple of Sundays.

Very reasonable price wise.(I think!)

3 hours ago, peternapper said:

Hope the ref does not get the replayed game  & another fee for himself. Not carrying on will cost both clubs quite a bit with time off work for most players on a Tuesday night plus all the other expenses involved.

What does it matter? Somebody has to ref the game and command a fee.

The last time  one was called off after about 20mins of play was against Annan, that day the keeper kicking into the wind  struggled to clear his box with kick & the ball was constantly blowing away while trying to take corners/freekicks. Did not mind too much that day as was in hospitality so got a second go at it for nothing when the game was replayed. Did not know that the Hearties had a game on today or would have nipped down & got the end of it, their ground is a bit lower down in town but shows football in Peterhead was possible today. Strange that the only senior game  was ours going by reports  plenty other places  managed to complete games in  poor conditions.. Wonder how we will get on when winter arrives.