Dumbarton vs Airdrie

8 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Your spot on teams have sussed us out dont think ever seen a team get as many corners as we do but there is little imagine there. We were in total control yesterday that said I expected a tougher game thought Dunbarton were very poor. Were some signs front two can link up moving forward and I was totally bemused when both of them were subbed.

Mods

30 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Word on the street some questions being asked regarding performance of late. The manager is not helping himself with some strange decisions think the pressure showed yesterday the way he was jumping about.

He will rightly get to the end of the season and will/should be judged at that point. Don't really think there is much point debating his future at the moment when we have no idea where we will finish.

I also noticed yesterday that we have names on the back of jerseys but can't remember when we started to have them, or I should say was aware of it.

We’ve used squad numbers since the start of the season but the names didn’t appear till the Hearts game.

I also noticed yesterday that we have names on the back of jerseys but can't remember when we started to have them, or I should say was aware of it.

We’ve been using squad numbers all season but the names didn’t appear till the Hearts game.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He will rightly get to the end of the season and will/should be judged at that point. Don't really think there is much point debating his future at the moment when we have no idea where we will finish.

Murray signed a new contract in November until the end of 20/21  season, I fully expect him to be given that time,  contract extensions  that have been given to a,number of players are also at end of 20/21 season.  We desperately need out this league, but unfortunately the teams above us Raith and Falkirk have much bigger crowds and more budget to get better players in....  

59 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

We’ve used squad numbers since the start of the season but the names didn’t appear till the Hearts game.

Thanks for info and I never noticed that day either. It takes me back to the 60s ( I think) when many teams did not have numbers on the jersey and when Airdrie brought in 1-11 the TV/Press  guys still complained the numbers were too small to see. If I remember right Celtic refused for ages in domestic games to have numbers on the hoop jerseys? It went on the shorts?  This modern squad number stuff probably allows a bit of player identity/heritage but I remain a wee bit stubborn and old fashioned.  When will we have someone with a 99. are there any League rules?

19 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for info and I never noticed that day either. It takes me back to the 60s ( I think) when many teams did not have numbers on the jersey and when Airdrie brought in 1-11 the TV/Press  guys still complained the numbers were too small to see. If I remember right Celtic refused for ages in domestic games to have numbers on the hoop jerseys? It went on the shorts?  This modern squad number stuff probably allows a bit of player identity/heritage but I remain a wee bit stubborn and old fashioned.  When will we have someone with a 99. are there any League rules?

Not  entirely sure,  but Stranraers Andy Stirling has 77 or something, I noticed recently.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Murray signed a new contract in November until the end of 20/21  season, I fully expect him to be given that time,  contract extensions  that have been given to a,number of players are also at end of 20/21 season.  We desperately need out this league, but unfortunately the teams above us Raith and Falkirk have much bigger crowds and more budget to get better players in....  

Airdrie have a bigger squad lots of young players they bring in more experience sadly unless we have a few hidden gems we dont no about doesn't appear to be any pushing for first team. Though we have a history of playing other teams youngsters.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

You are right re the small numbers on the back of Airdrie strips. As I remember Airdrie were the only other team with a strip design, other than us, that prevented use of a large number. Our numbers appeared above the black and gold bands.

You’re  right about Celtic too, they had their numbers on their shorts. 
However, they were on the telly regularly so commentators had no trouble identifying the players. 

12 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

You are right re the small numbers on the back of Airdrie strips. As I remember Airdrie were the only other team with a strip design, other than us, that prevented use of a large number. Our numbers appeared above the black and gold bands.

You’re  right about Celtic too, they had their numbers on their shorts. 
However, they were on the telly regularly so commentators had no trouble identifying the players. 

I remember clearly the old strips with the numbers within the diamond, the first team strips had a solid number, the reserve team strips were different, and had the number in red outline only

Thought the performance in the first half was better than in recent weeks. Murray had some nice touches and linked up well with Leon, and Millar and Big Nat totally controlled the midfield. Murray put in some cracking set piece deliveries that were just crying out for an Airdrie player to make a connection with. Was an impressive debut overall I thought. Big concern though that despite our dominance, we didn't score or even create that many clear cut chances. If a team with Andy Ryan and Calum Gallagher upfront should have anything it should be a cutting edge. But it's been sorely lacking the last few weeks. I think I read Andy Ryan had passed a late fitness test before the game which maybe explains his relative lack of sharpness. He's not had much luck, and in this and the Raith game, absolutely nothing fell to our forwards. But we need to get better at creating chances through our midfield - only problem is our midfield hasn't been good enough in that regard the whole season. 

Thought we were unfortunate not to get the penalty at the end of the first half. You score that and it totally changes the game and no doubt we'd have went on to win. Would have to watch the second penalty claim back - looked more like a coming together from where I was but a couple of people claiming it was a stonewaller. 

No point in going over old ground RE substitutions and more specifically bringing on Ally Roy. But, while neither of them were having a great game, I'd have been a lot more confident of scoring had Gallagher and/or Ryan been on the pitch ahead of Ally Roy. I like Smith but his touch was garbage on Saturday. I'm sure the conditions didn't help but his was particularly bad. So I knew the game was a bogey when we ended up with Smith and Roy upfront to close the game. 

Gallacher didn't have a save to make but f**k me his distribution is slow. It's fine to play like you're 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go when you're, eh, actually 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go but there was a few times a quick break could have been on and he killed any potential momentum. 

Positive was that we never looked like getting beat the whole 90 minutes. 

MUST win next week. 

20 hours ago, Passionate said:

I agree, and it's not going to get much easier. If you assume that we were to lose in the play-offs this year, at present, next season would have Partick plus one of Falkirk/Alloa/Queen of the South/Morton trying to win promotion, plus any other team who strengthens in League One. Cove will come up too and could challenge.

Like this year we'll probably go in to it 3rd or 4th favourites. That's why I don't agree with the simplistic idea that if we don't go up we have to change the manager. Sacking someone for not finishing ahead of Falkirk and Raith is extremely harsh. I think we need to look at the end of the season and judge whether we are making progress or not. If we finish 3rd and narrowly lose out in the play-offs there is an argument for sticking with Murray next season. If we finish outside the play-offs and are still changing formations every week looking for something that works then you have to question whether we are actually going anywhere given that is where we were 2 years ago.

The way the league works though you could scrape into 4th spot on the last day and 2 weeks later be promoted. There is no point trying to judge Murray until after the season and we have the full picture.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever