I didn't pass my driving test until last year at age of 33!

I done lessons when I was younger but failed test and hated driving and sacked it. Decided a couple of years ago I really need to start driving as not fair on wife, mates and others to drive me about all the time. Also if have kids will need to drive too. I did use public transport for work and didn't hate the train plus good excuse for being late . I couldn't afford house, holidays, life in general and also a car.

Eventually at 33 years I passed third time after nearly a year of lessons...I have already managed to get 3 points on my license for accidentally pulling out in front of a police car weeks after passing my test 2 minutes from my house so lost my confidence again with driving and only with recent new job having to drive to work again have I started to gradually get my confidence up. I am enjoying it now but drive like a granny as can't get another 3 points as would lose my license...

12 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

To be honest if Philip Schofield came out today and said he was a non driver that would have been more of a shock. I get folk's excuses for not driving. live in the city... too expensive... saving the planet.... etc but these are the same people who will happily accept a lift, from some poor fucker who has to drive, pay insurance, maintenance etc, etc, when it suits them and never ever being in that position to return the favour. Selfish fuckers. Who hires a van when you're moving house? who drives when you've got a wedding to go to? Some other fucker that's who.  Driving is not just about commuting it is so much more. I have been to parts of this planet in a car and on a motorbike that can't be reached by public transport. Go get your licence, it will change your life, for the better, and people will think more of you.

This is the best post on the thread.

Used to work with a guy from Barrow in Furness who would always drive from Aberdeen to there off nights which I thought was madness.

I’d usually drive as far as Lockerbie and he’d kip in the passenger seat. That car was a heap of shit!!!!

Non drivers are a shower of self-entitled p***ks. Anytime I drive to either a game or 7s or something, you can be guaranteed that those who drive will offer money for fuel, the non-driver? No chance 😂

I remember the family of my sons mum whom none of them drove, next thing I knew I was taking them to the shops, to airports, train stations you name it, even had to drive to Stonehaven to pick up the wee sister after she decided to come home early after a wee holiday with family up there, didn't even offer me any money for fuel for that either! Try to be a nice guy and the piss is extracted big time 🙈

Lastly, the one time they were close to giving me fuel money was when I took them and the family dog to have it put down, her mum said she was going to give me some fuel money but decided to give it to the vet as it was a charity 🙈😂

On 06/02/2020 at 16:18, Dave1875 said:

When I lived in Aberdeenshire I had no need to as both my parents worked for Stagecoach so I got a pass that enabled me free travel on all Stagecoach in the UK (Megabus not included sadly). I did do a few lessons years ago but my instructor stopped due to medical reasons and just haven't gotten back to it. 

Now living in Edinburgh it's easier to get around via walking or the bus. It doesn't help that I'm an awful pessimist who imagines he'll crash if he gets behind the wheel...

"I crashed the car and he got killed".

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"I crashed the car and he got killed".

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

To be honest if Philip Schofield came out today and said he was a non driver that would have been more of a shock. I get folk's excuses for not driving. live in the city... too expensive... saving the planet.... etc but these are the same people who will happily accept a lift, from some poor fucker who has to drive, pay insurance, maintenance etc, etc, when it suits them and never ever being in that position to return the favour. Selfish fuckers. Who hires a van when you're moving house? who drives when you've got a wedding to go to? Some other fucker that's who.  Driving is not just about commuting it is so much more. I have been to parts of this planet in a car and on a motorbike that can't be reached by public transport. Go get your licence, it will change your life, for the better, and people will think more of you.

giphy.gif

On 06/02/2020 at 17:58, The Moonster said:

Holy f**k! How do instructors justify charging that?

It's Switzerland, they can do what they like, not being controlled by the bureacrats of Brussels...

27 minutes ago, Dave1875 said:

giphy.gif

I'll let you off as my brother's a Hibs fan and he's called David, but I'm watching you...

For those sitting their test in later life, I'd recommend finding a steely nerved mate or relative to let you drive around without commenting on and criticising your every move, so you can learn to drive naturally before the test. So maybe 10 lessons, a month of driving around with a mate, another 10 lessons then the test. I was a bag of nerves for my lessons and tests until I finally passed in a fit of rage and zero hesitation. Then I started to learn how to drive properly and even enjoy it.

On 06/02/2020 at 19:31, keptie said:

Been driving for almost 40 years and have always enjoyed it, just jump in the car and go where you like when you like although I do like to travel on trains now and then when it suits. I  expect the cost of driving for youngsters will put them off as the cost of  lessons now and insurance seem pretty extreme from when I started driving. I did at one point decide to go without a car for a few months (not banned) and  use public transport and tbf it was ok not to much hassle.

I passed my test in 1974, and used to enjoy driving a lot more than I do now. I would often take wee detours when driving just to see where the road took me. I don't do that anymore as the cost of fuel doesn't justify it (granted I suppose I'd have to drive 50 miles or so to notice the fuel gauge descending) and there are far too many impatient drivers on the road, so driving on unfamiliar bendy country roads with someone on your tail is not enjoyable.

Northern Ireland is quite small and most journeys are fairly short, so taking chances to overtake only to be caught at the next set of lights/bus in front is pointless. Unless you're going from Greyabbey to Enniskillen playing chicken overtaking everything isn't going to get you there that much sooner to justify the risk.

I also don't like driving at night now, headlights are far too bright even when dipped, although if I am driving at night I prefer dual carriageway/motorway as the oncoming traffic is further away and not so blinding,

I find driving at or near the speed limit (adjusting for road conditions) is quite fast enough, barrelling along 20 or 30 miles over the limit is not on.

Driving is shite.

I've had a license since I was 19 (now 35) but haven't driven regularly since I was 25 and not at all for three years I think now.

Since the age of 25 I have lived in cities with good public transport and countries with reasonable transport between cities etc. I have no kids and I am not a lazy b*****d so I will always choose to walk to anything within an hour of me, provided I have time.

So, a car would be a monumental waste of money for me.

I haven't had to waste money buying a car. I don't have to pay to have a car serviced. I don't have to pay insurance. I don't have to buy petrol. I don't have to find and pay for parking. I don't have to sit in traffic jams. I don't have to worry about some moron firing round a corner on the wrong side of the road and killing me.

Plus, not having a car guarantees me at least 40 minutes' exercise per workday as I walk 20 minutes to and from work. In reality, it's worth a lot more exercise than that, as I rarely take taxis or public transport unless I really have to. Not having a car is socially good as you can always say yes to a spontaneous offer of a pint.

Basically, driving is shite and I'm much happier, richer, and healthier without it.

I passed my test in 1974, and used to enjoy driving a lot more than I do now. I would often take wee detours when driving just to see where the road took me. I don't do that anymore as the cost of fuel doesn't justify it (granted I suppose I'd have to drive 50 miles or so to notice the fuel gauge descending) and there are far too many impatient drivers on the road, so driving on unfamiliar bendy country roads with someone on your tail is not enjoyable.
Northern Ireland is quite small and most journeys are fairly short, so taking chances to overtake only to be caught at the next set of lights/bus in front is pointless. Unless you're going from Greyabbey to Enniskillen playing chicken overtaking everything isn't going to get you there that much sooner to justify the risk.
I also don't like driving at night now, headlights are far too bright even when dipped, although if I am driving at night I prefer dual carriageway/motorway as the oncoming traffic is further away and not so blinding,
I find driving at or near the speed limit (adjusting for road conditions) is quite fast enough, barrelling along 20 or 30 miles over the limit is not on.
If you had to drive regularly at night again I think you'd get used to it again pretty quickly, shat myself doing it recently after a long break but back to normal now. Bit like working up ladders again after a break.

People who are scared of driving or cautious as f**k shouldn't be allowed licenses, its fuckers like that that cause accidents

Couple of posts noting than non-drivers seem oblivious to the costs of filling the tank up, even when they have arranged a lift specifically for their purpose and benefit. I also find that this is very much the case.
My youngest son is a good lad, but I don’t recall him EVER offering to contribute to parking and petrol in getting him to and and from the airport for example. I don’t think it’s done out of selfishness or simply being a tight arse, it just doesn’t seem to register that running a car, unsurprisingly costs money!
Decided to mention it last week, that a few quid wouldn’t go a miss next time, he casually responded, ‘’oh really, yes of course, you should have said’’!

Had a license for over 20 years and didn’t hate driving, but when I split up from the ex wife I didn’t have a car. I was saving up for one as I still have young kids, but after a few months I realised I didn’t actually need one living in town, even with the kids. They don’t mind the bus, we all get a bit more exercise and I’m much more sociable now I can go for a pint after work! The biggest issue was shopping, but with everywhere doing home delivery it’s no problem not having a car at all now! I feel so much less stressed in everyday life than I used to (although that could be down to not having a wife to be fair) and traveling by train if I’m going outside of town is fairly easy. If I need wheels for any reason I can hire a car for however long, so all in all I don’t miss driving in the slightest!

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't know if it's my night vision or confidence or a combination that has deteriorated, but my driving goes from decent to below average. I'd hate to be stuck behind me at night if I'm unfamiliar with the road.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't know if it's my night vision or confidence or a combination that has deteriorated, but my driving goes from decent to below average. I'd hate to be stuck behind me at night if I'm unfamiliar with the road.

^^^needs booked into the Dignitas Driving School.

”One lesson is all you’ll need”