Mastermind

The Derek Mackay texts and the Scottish Budget

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So, for example. nurses would no longer be able to claim for the cost of washing their uniforms?

Thought they were on PAYE?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thought they were on PAYE?

"You can claim tax relief if you wash the uniform given to you by your employer, unless your employer provides a laundering service and you choose not to use it and wash your uniform yourself."

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"You can claim tax relief if you wash the uniform given to you by your employer, unless your employer provides a laundering service and you choose not to use it and wash your uniform yourself."

Pretty straightforward if quoted from HMRC. The tax avoidance/evasion schemes I mean aren't about ordinary claimable expenses.

Pretty straightforward if quoted from HMRC. The tax avoidance/evasion schemes I mean aren't about ordinary claimable expenses.

What about putting money into an ISA rather than just a normal bank account?

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

They were designed by the Government.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Now you're moving the goalposts to include "evasion". Totally illegal and should be stamped on every time.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. Legislating to make tax avoidance illegal would be damn near impossible, and most certainly would not affect the big players.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Now you're moving the goalposts to include "evasion". Totally illegal and should be stamped on every time.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal. Legislating to make tax avoidance illegal would be damn near impossible, and most certainly would not affect the big players.

I'm just suggesting that companies and accountants who come up with complex tax avoidance schemes should have to prove they are legal rather than the HMRC having to continually play catch up.  Just claiming legitimate business expenses or opening an ISA account isn't a problem, if you get too creative with expenses it should be clear where you're breaking the law.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm just suggesting that companies and accountants who come up with complex tax avoidance schemes should have to prove they are legal rather than the HMRC having to continually play catch up.  Just claiming legitimate business expenses or opening an ISA account isn't a problem, if you get too creative with expenses it should be clear where you're breaking the law.

Those probably are evasion to be quite honest, but hard to prove. The best accountants and tax lawyers are going to gravitate towards the money rather than work for HMRC, I would imagine.

You'd think it would be relatively simple to define what "legitimate business expenses" are, but obviously not.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Those probably are evasion to be quite honest, but hard to prove. The best accountants and tax lawyers are going to gravitate towards the money rather than workfor HMRC, I would imagine.

You'd think it would be relatively simple to define what "legitimate business expenses" are, but obviously not.

I've heard the HMRC trained graduates usually leave for the City as soon as they're any use.

I'm sick of explaining that ISAs are part of the tax code and not a tax avoidance scheme, frankly.

I've heard the HMRC trained graduates usually leave for the City as soon as they're any use.
True. HMRC spend years training these people and paying for their exams then most of them immediately f**k off to the private sector.

Why don't they do what the army does and require them to stay in their post for X years or pay back the fees?

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Why don't they do what the army does and require them to stay in their post for X years or pay back the fees?

The fees are probably tax deductible...

When is Mackay going to make an appearance at his place of work?
He has constituents to represent - has he submitted a sick line to explain his absence?
Presumably someone from the SNP has checked on his wellbeing.

He’ll have to show face at some point. Coward.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Simplifying the tax code and placing the onus on avoiders to prove what they're doing is legal, and in the meantime charging the liability as if it is not, rather than the other way around.

So, guilty unless proven innocent?

Hundreds of years of justice ripped up?

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So, guilty unless proven innocent?

Hundreds of years of justice ripped up?

No. If a tax consultant has a new scheme like pretending salaries are loans that don't have to be repaid, they should put it to arbitration before recommending it to clients. If they don't the client should be charged full whack until proven otherwise.  

Those probably are evasion to be quite honest, but hard to prove. The best accountants and tax lawyers are going to gravitate towards the money rather than work for HMRC, I would imagine. You'd think it would be relatively simple to define what "legitimate business expenses" are, but obviously not.

It would help if HMRC didn't "consult" the big accounting firms when they make changes to the system - like asking a burglar what security you should install in your house and then giving the same burglar the alarm code.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

No. If a tax consultant has a new scheme like pretending salaries are loans that don't have to be repaid, they should put it to arbitration before recommending it to clients. If they don't the client should be charged full whack until proven otherwise.  

But they already do that. Part of the tax return system is reporting tax avoidance schemes that you are using.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It would help if HMRC didn't "consult" the big accounting firms when they make changes to the system - like asking a burglar what security you should install in your house and then giving the samed burglar the alarm code.

So who should they consult with?

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

But they already do that. Part of the tax return system is reporting tax avoidance schemes that you are using.

So Rangers asked the HMRC if EBT's were cool before they started paying players using them?