Mastermind

The Derek Mackay texts and the Scottish Budget

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 02:19, The_Kincardine said:

Is Vivian Nicholson Scotland's new finance minister?

It was actually Vivienne, and for a bonus point what was the last drawn result on her husband's coupon which won them £150k ?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Can they?

According to who?

Almost everyone, seemingly. That's the reason MacKay is out of office. Did you achieve your Laird of Oaksoft status through persistent amoral behaviour?

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Yes. Social mores.

By "social mores" do you mean "follow the herd" mentality?

By "social mores" do you mean "follow the herd" mentality?

Aye. If it wasn't for the damned herd I'd have my trousers round my ankles having a shite on the floor by my desk but because of "society" I have to go to the "toilet" because it's "hygienic" and "considerate".

32 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Did you achieve your Laird of Oaksoft status through persistent amoral behaviour?

Partly. 

Mostly it was about not following the herd.

I am especially suspicious of those who try to control others by professing to have some key to what is and isn't "moral".

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

Aye. If it wasn't for the damned herd I'd have my trousers round my ankles having a shite on the floor by my desk but because of "society" I have to go to the "toilet" because it's "hygienic" and "considerate". emoji849.png

If there's any truth in this for you then rest assured that you don't appear to be alone (see the FCA article). :lol:

On 11/02/2020 at 19:15, MixuFixit said:

It's wrong because if Ross Thomson had done it you would have the opposite opinion.

Things can be wrong but not illegal.

If it's wrong, then why isn't it illegal?

Also, why is it that if it was a non-politician dabbling in this sort of thing, society as a whole just wouldn't really care?

As for Ross Thomson. What he did WAS illegal.

Edited by BawWatchin

3 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Also, why is it that if it was a non-politician dabbling in this sort of thing, society as a whole just wouldn't really care?

You don't see a man in his 40s trying to pull a 16 year old as plain wrong?

Just now, welshbairn said:

You don't see a man in his 40s trying to pull a 16 year old as plain wrong?

I think it's morally wrong. But morals come down to personal opinion and perspective. The law on the other hand is laid out in black and white and this doesn't break the law, regardless of the personal moral perspectives me and you hold on the matter.

It's ok to have the opinion that it's wrong. It's not however ok to use that to bypass the legal system.

If it's wrong, then why isn't it illegal?

As for Ross Thomson. What he did WAS illegal.

I shouldn't need to repeat myself about something so basic a 5 year old child could understand it but hey ho.

Things can be viewed as wrong by society without being illegal.

People at large care more about a powerful MSP being a beast than someone who isn't in that position because society holds our public figures to a higher standard than normal people. This is because if Joe Bloggs is texting dirty messages to a teenager, relatively few people's lives are potentially affected by this. If Derek MacKay texts dirty messages to a teenager, we all begin to ask: if his judgement is so poor here, what other things has he applied poor judgement to?

You'll no doubt want to build a straw man out of this because you've got views on sexuality that are way out of line with society and because you hold SNP politicians to a far lower standard than other politicians. Let me save you time as I won't be responding to you further on this matter.

If your defence of perving on wee guys is “well it’s technically legal” then I’m gonna assume the only thing stopping you being a nonce is the threat of the jail tbh (to be honest).

The last Scottish political figure who was linked with banging or attempting ot bang a barely legal teenager was Eric Joyce.  Will Derek Mackay match Joyce's meltdown?

When is Mackay going to make an appearance at his place of work?

He has constituents to represent - has he submitted a sick line to explain his absence?

Presumably someone from the SNP has checked on his wellbeing.

On 12/02/2020 at 23:39, BawWatchin said:

I think it's morally wrong. But morals come down to personal opinion and perspective. The law on the other hand is laid out in black and white and this doesn't break the law, regardless of the personal moral perspectives me and you hold on the matter.

It's ok to have the opinion that it's wrong. It's not however ok to use that to bypass the legal system.

Does that goes for your views on tax avoidance as well?

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Does that goes for your views on tax avoidance as well?

Yes. Although I certainly believe that should be illegal. Something the EU have been trying to address, while the UK wriggles its way out.

15 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Yes. Although I certainly believe that should be illegal. Something the EU have been trying to address, while the UK wriggles its way out.

How do you propose to do that?

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Multinationals should pay the tax rate based on the revenue that they generate in each individual country. Not where their head office happens to be conveniently placed.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Simplifying the tax code and placing the onus on avoiders to prove what they're doing is legal, and in the meantime charging the liability as if it is not, rather than the other way around.

So, for example. nurses would no longer be able to claim for the cost of washing their uniforms?