The Derek Mackay texts and the Scottish Budget

Mastermind

• 7 months later...
On 20/02/2020 at 21:01, Mastermind said:

Any sign of SNP’s Mr Mackay yet? Has there ever been a bigger example of cowardice in Scottish politics than this?

Still managing to claim his expenses for accommodation in Edinburgh.  Allegedly claimed over £300 for 10 days when Parliament was only open 1 day.

However as a current MSP he is entitled to claim an "Edinburgh accommodation provision" and there is nothing to say he must attend parliament to claim it.

Is he holding constituency meetings or is he still shunning them?

52 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Still managing to claim his expenses for accommodation in Edinburgh.  Allegedly claimed over £300 for 10 days when Parliament was only open 1 day.

However as a current MSP he is entitled to claim an "Edinburgh accommodation provision" and there is nothing to say he must attend parliament to claim it.

£300 for 10 days accommodation in Edinburgh - was he renting a bus shelter? I'm afraid those 2 numbers don't stack up so forgive my scepticism that your facts are correct. He's presumably still managing to claim his expenses because he's still an MSP. Whether folk think he should still be an MSP is another matter but nobody who claims to be on business is going to do so for £30 a night. 

£300 for 10 days accommodation in Edinburgh - was he renting a bus shelter? I'm afraid those 2 numbers don't stack up so forgive my scepticism that your facts are correct. He's presumably still managing to claim his expenses because he's still an MSP. Whether folk think he should still be an MSP is another matter but nobody who claims to be on business is going to do so for £30 a night. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-54365258

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

14 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Maybe he only claimed for the one night, despite being in Edinburgh for 10 days?

The same snout in trough attitude that so many of the MSP/MP have.

Another that should have resigned and either stood for re-election as an independent or faded back into irrelevance.

It doesn't matter how many days this was for or the actual amount.  The guy hasn't been doing the job since February.

Edited by strichener

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Another that should have resigned and either stood for re-election as an independent or faded back into irrelevance.

It doesn't matter how many days this was for or the actual amount.  The guy hasn't been doing the job since February.

No argument there. He should have resigned. He's supposed to represent people and he's not been doing it. 

5 hours ago, strichener said:

How long is his lease for?

7 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

How long is his lease for?

Why?  If I lose my job for inappropriate behaviour then no-one covers the cost of, for example, railway season tickets or pre-booked accommodation.  The issue here is that he won't resign, isn't doing his job and is fleecing the taxpayer for wages and expenses.  If he isn't turning up to Hollywood to do his job then he shouldn't be aiming expense that are in place to enable him to undertake parliamentary work.

However, I am sure your attitude would be the same if it wasn't a yellow rosette he was elected with.  Glasgow provest springs to mind.

Edited by strichener

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

Why?  If I lose my job for inappropriate behaviour then no-one covers the cost of, for example, railway season tickets or pre-booked accommodation.  The issue here is that he won't resign, isn't doing his job and is fleecing the taxpayer for wages and expenses.  If he isn't turning up to Hollywood to do his job then he shouldn't be aiming expense that are in place to enable him to undertake parliamentary work.

However, I am sure your attitude would be the same if it wasn't a yellow rosette he was elected with.  Glasgow provest springs to mind.

I'm provest, especially as the days shorten.

Would it be fair to ask if there is any evidence that the duties of an MSP are not being undertaken in their entirety?

4 hours ago, strichener said:

He hasn't lost his job.

3 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

He hasn't lost his job.

No shit Sherlock.  He also isn't doing it either.  As I said, snout thoroughly in the trough.

4 hours ago, sophia said:

I'm provest, especially as the days shorten.

Would it be fair to ask if there is any evidence that the duties of an MSP are not being undertaken in their entirety?

Parliamentarians that don't attend parliament.  Next you'll be telling me that divers don't need to go into the water or pilots don't have to fly planes.

This is a simple case of someone being elected, abusing that power and clinging onto the money tree for as long as possible.

17 minutes ago, strichener said:

No shit Sherlock.  He also isn't doing it either.  As I said, snout thoroughly in the trough.

Parliamentarians that don't attend parliament.  Next you'll be telling me that divers don't need to go into the water or pilots don't have to fly planes.

This is a simple case of someone being elected, abusing that power and clinging onto the money tree for as long as possible.

I'm not telling you anything.

Please back up your assertion that he "isn't doing his job".

Is he 100%  not doing his job?

10 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

He hasn't spoken since February and hasn't voted in the last 6 months, so no I don't think he is doing his job.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/msp/25096/derek_mackay

https://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/28925.aspx

and you are certain of his representations on behalf of his constituents?

I don’t think Mackay has attended constituency surgeries since he resigned. Apparently early retirement due to ill health is on the cards, a terrible case of ‘gettingcaughtitis’.

Bear in mind if the First Minister had had to stand down in January for some unforeseen reason, this guy would have been a front runner to be First Minister of our country.