The Derek Mackay texts and the Scottish Budget

Mastermind

31 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The look of undisguised glee on Sarah Smith's coupon, when asked by Brillo Pad Neil, on Politics Live  for her thoughts on this, will stay with me for a long time. Despicable cow.

Didn’t see it but I suspect her glee is because she’s been in close proximity to him for some time and maybe formed a personal opinion that he was a wrong ‘un.

Or maybe he’s been a catty wee witch to her at some point in the past. 

No matter, you can be excused a wee smugness when you see someone getting their deserved comeuppance. 

To recap on this story, as learned through this thread.

The 16 year was an English agent, sent by Willie Rennie.

The SNP also arranged it to distract from their shite budget.

The main takeaway from one of the most senior politicans resigning in a sex scandal is that a journalist had unacceptable facial expressions.

What a country we've got here.  A great bunch of lads.

32 minutes ago, Snafu said:

People like that never think about victims, only the opportunity to take advantage of the situation for their own gain.

It reminds me very much of the BJK brigade. Absolutely no interest in the victims whatsoever. They absolutely love that it happened because it allows them to point-score.

That people are seeking to make political capital on opposition from a child being abused is fucking disgusting. Mackay is my msp and i hope he resigns. I wont be voting for him in may and will probably vote green unless another candidate takes his place.

He’s been booted out the SNP pending investigation, and, even if he’s let back in, I can’t imagine they’d pick him as a candidate.

The main takeaway from one of the most senior politicans resigning in a sex scandal is that a journalist had unacceptable facial expressions.

That’s what happens when people regard Stuart Campbell as a leading activist voice of reason. The death of expertise indeed.

Some real nonsense by the usual biased sources.

Brian Taylor being the worst  - "Mackay resignation 'a calamity' for government".

This is an entirely personal matter and he has done the right thing by resigning.

Those who are trying to make political capital out of it are complete scum.

There’s a lot of people pontificating online as if they wouldn’t have been absolutely fucking delighted if Sajid Javid was outed as a creep on budget day.

Mackay has to be booted from the party. No two ways about it. The current situation of being allowed to behave like that as a backbencher but not as a minister isn’t sustainable.

8 minutes ago, Paco said:

There’s a lot of people pontificating online as if they wouldn’t have been absolutely fucking delighted if Sajid Javid was outed as a creep on budget day.

Mackay has to be booted from the party. No two ways about it. The current situation of being allowed to behave like that as a backbencher but not as a minister isn’t sustainable.

I'm not sure if there's anything more that can be done. A party can suspend/fire someone but if they themselves don't resign as MSP I think they stay in place until the next election.

This does seem significant enough that I'd be shocked if he tried to stay on as his presence could become a big sideshow.

11 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I'm not sure if there's anything more that can be done. A party can suspend/fire someone but if they themselves don't resign as MSP I think they stay in place until the next election.

This does seem significant enough that I'd be shocked if he tried to stay on as his presence could become a big sideshow.

An MP can be fired/suspended by his party but still sit as an Independent, unless they get a prison sentence of one year or more - don't know the rules for MSP?

30 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Brian Taylor being the worst  - "Mackay resignation 'a calamity' for government".

This is an entirely personal matter and he has done the right thing by resigning.

Entirely personal - really?

Perhaps bias lies in all directions

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:
Everyone in politics is a weirdo.  The Tories are a load of fresh faced posho flag waving Europe obsessed weirdos, Labour are crackpot conspiracy theorists who have encyplodia style knowledge about Jews, the Lib Dems are a load of 'car keys in the fruit bowl' middle class perverts, the SNP combine all for their everyman position with a load of added weak-jawed beta male losers groping and sexting inappropriately.
If you are reading this thread, you are very likely a complete weirdo who is DMing someone too young for you as we speak.  You fucking weirdo.

This is as good a time as any to say “stop DMing ICTChris I am NOT interested!”

6 hours ago, RiG said:
MacKay has, unsurprisingly, been suspended from the SNP.

ETA: Fucking hell!

Tbf, it’s one dafty with one retweet. Stuff like this brings out the utter roasters on Twitter.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I mean, the governing party losing their Finance Minister the day of the budget for noncing is a pretty shite state of affairs regardless of whether it’s a personal matter or not.

Edited by NotThePars

17 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Was this leaked to maximise damage to the SNP? Certainly.

That's what the press do to any party as long as they think no one else has the story - sit on it until it can cause maximum chaos. It's not an SNP thing.

The behaviour of one person, or even two or more, does not make me any less keen on Scotland's Independence. The same would apply to someone  from the UK side  whose good behaviour does not lead me to support the continuing "Union"  From what I have seen in the Sun ( the first time I have looked at it since Hillsborough) it does worry me about the suitability of McKay to remain as an MSP. Once investigated under suspension, if he is "guilty" he should be expelled from the SNP.  It would take some brass neck to stay on as an MSP but who knows what he would do. It is only natural that posters on either side of our Indy debate would pile in today, that's what P/B is for.

44 minutes ago, Paco said:

Agreed. When Ross Thompson behaved abysmally he was slaughtered on here. McKay may choose to sit on the back benches and to continue to take the wages - but not as part of the SNP. The SNP need to punt him.  He shouldn't need told. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Or understand that the majority view that most people think Mackay is an utter creep and should play absolutely no part in public life.

You can hold this view - which is clearly the important one - whilst also finding it distasteful that some people are clearly delighted by it (people like Lex and Mintermind) so they can grind their own particular political axe. It's minging all round. 

Mackay will certainly be emptied by the SNP, though I expect they will have to follow a formal process in doing so. I'd be stunned if he tried to stand as an independent. He would be lucky to get 500 votes. His career is over in any meaningful sense.

20 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

To an extent. Amol Rajan's most famous act as Independent editor was to spike the story about John Whittingdale shagging a dominatrix and taking her as his +1 to parliamentary drinks occasions while he was in a position to enact stricter press regulation.

Of course that's rarer because the consequences were grave for Rajan, he went from the precarious Independent to..a... plum job at the BBC...

Pretty sure the dominatrix was over 21 and Whittingdale was single at the time.