The Voice of Junior Football Podcast

Bill Kilgour

Hi all here is the new The Voice of Junior Football Podcast EP 10 and you can hear it here

I can't believe how many people in the junior world still haven't been able to separate in their mind the pyramid and licence issues.

Far too many people think they are the same thing, i.e. they think if we join the pyramid every club will need a licence.

It can't be repeated often enough, no club will need a licence to join the pyramid at tier 6 or below. It is only when you get promoted to tier 5 that you will need a licence, and to do that you'd need to be winning the tier 6 league against the likes of Auchinleck, Kilwinning, Pollok etc.

Getting a licence is purely a choice for a club, not a necessary requirement.

Edited by glensmad

51 minutes ago, glensmad said:

It can't be repeated often enough, no club will need a licence to join the pyramid at tier 6 or below. It is only when you get promoted to tier 5 that you will need a licence, and to do that you'd need to be winning the tier 6 league against the likes of Auchinleck, Kilwinning, Pollok etc.

Getting a licence is purely a choice for a club, not a necessary requirement.

I thought under (the now failed option Z) it wouldn't just be the league winners in the first season it would be as many clubs as required to split the Lowland League into 2. That's how I thought Option W was best as we'd be a part of the Pyramid but would only the League Winner need a licence to progress to the Lowland League. How quick can a Licence be done? If you're leading the league in say December would there be enough time or would you need to start off the season applying for a licence? (It suddenly dawns on me what a boomer I am, to use the youth of today's expression).

4 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

I thought under (the now failed option Z) it wouldn't just be the league winners in the first season it would be as many clubs as required to split the Lowland League into 2. That's how I thought Option W was best as we'd be a part of the Pyramid but would only the League Winner need a licence to progress to the Lowland League. How quick can a Licence be done? If you're leading the league in say December would there be enough time or would you need to start off the season applying for a licence? (It suddenly dawns on me what a boomer I am, to use the youth of today's expression).

You'd need to start the process way before December, eg this season the Licence Committee meet end of this month and you need to tick all the boxes by then for it to progress to SFA AGM.

There is no set time as it depends on what needs done, could be a job taking a few years, could be a job taking 6-9 months.  Largely hinges on whether there is any major infrastructure issues.

Of course, getting a Licence regardless of promotion prospects will guarantee you Scottish Cup entry.

Edited by Burnie_man

The pyramid chat goes on for about 5 mins or so with the usual uncertainty of how licencing works. Then one of the presenters does actually say you only need it get promoted to the Lowland League. If only here started with that :)

Petershill get a mention regarding licencing. At a meeting the Petershill rep is meant to have said the fencing was an issue for them as bystanders can look in. It was meant to have come from a SFA rep. So I wonder at what time this possible audit took place?

The other rumour I heard for the first time was the clubs moving to the EoS were given two years to get licenced 😄

Tony McInally at least seemed positive about moving into the pyramid if it happens.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

... Petershill get a mention regarding licencing. At a meeting the Petershill rep is meant to have said the fencing was an issue for them as bystanders can look in. It was meant to have come from a SFA rep. So I wonder at what time this possible audit took place?  ...

Must have been fairly recent as them and Cumnock only put their applications in about a year ago and certain other clubs were complaining bitterly about how long it was taking for the SFA to pay them a visit. Suspect they'll need to be part of any WoS division/league that emerges in the weeks ahead for the commitment to progression clause not to be an issue.

It's impressive how this podcast manages to come up with some new "fake news" on each show.

Apparently TJ was hoodwinked and caught on the hop by the East Region! :lol:  That's despite Kelty and others meeting with the SJFA before they left to try and avoid the exodus.

Their guest isn't any better - Tony McInally says "clubs without their own ground won't satisfy the club licence" (wrong) and Pollok wouldn't be turned down for a licence by the SFA (they certainly would if they don't meet the criteria!).

Then we had some bizarre suggestions that joining the pyramid could mean a transfer window and the end to Monday-Wednesday fixtures as UEFA/FIFA don't allow games within 72 hours.

@Bill Kilgour you seriously need someone from an ex-Junior club in the east to come on and have a chat.

37 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

It's impressive how this podcast manages to come up with some new "fake news" on each show.

Apparently TJ was hoodwinked and caught on the hop by the East Region! :lol:  That's despite Kelty and others meeting with the SJFA before they left to try and avoid the exodus.

Their guest isn't any better - Tony McInally says "clubs without their own ground won't satisfy the club licence" (wrong) and Pollok wouldn't be turned down for a licence by the SFA (they certainly would if they don't meet the criteria!).

Then we had some bizarre suggestions that joining the pyramid could mean a transfer window and the end to Monday-Wednesday fixtures as UEFA/FIFA don't allow games within 72 hours.

@Bill Kilgour you seriously need someone from an ex-Junior club in the east to come on and have a chat.

😆

Really enjoy the show guys. Great to see the passion for the junior game.

Unfortunately the critics are always more vocal. Im sure the majority realise you guys are trying to promote the grade.

Guests have been on from a variety of divisions, also managers, players and chairman.

37 minutes ago, AT4EVA said:

Really enjoy the show guys. Great to see the passion for the junior game.

Unfortunately the critics are always more vocal. Im sure the majority realise you guys are trying to promote the grade.

Guests have been on from a variety of divisions, also managers, players and chairman.

I dont think anyone will decry them for sticking up for the grade.

It's the making an arse of themselves about the pyramid that people are talking about 

I dont think anyone will decry them for sticking up for the grade.
It's the making an arse of themselves about the pyramid that people are talking about 
Maybe so Alan, however, I think a number of posters are happy at the apparent demise of junior football.

2 minutes ago, AT4EVA said:

Maybe so Alan, however, I think a number of posters are happy at the apparent demise of junior football.

It's not about being happy. It's about accepting change and as I've said nothings changed for usnother than i have a club to support. In 2016 we were 2 weeks from going to the wall now we r forward thinking crowds up youth teams engaged. Floodlights, toilets instead of a wall to pass against and that's not a go at the people before who did a great job but it was time to move on

46 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

It's not about being happy. It's about accepting change and as I've said nothings changed for usnother than i have a club to support. In 2016 we were 2 weeks from going to the wall now we r forward thinking crowds up youth teams engaged. Floodlights, toilets instead of a wall to pass against and that's not a go at the people before who did a great job but it was time to move on

Good for you.

I'm glad your team has been turned around for the better. Is the improvement a result of joining the pyramid or an overhaul of the personnel running the club.

Have you seen an improvement in the football?

Just now, AT4EVA said:

I'm glad your team has been turned around for the better. Is the improvement a result of joining the pyramid or an overhaul of the personnel running the club.

Have you seen an improvement in the football?

That's the point it's the same football from the same teams.

The only difference between camelon and linlithgow in the juniors is  a bigger crowd because of the fixture list we know when it's happening and not midweek 

We have improved as a team because we were building a team from young players.

The committee did change to a more forward thinking committee getting in people to run youth teams and youth development. We are still working on improving things

1 hour ago, AT4EVA said:

I'm happy that clubs in Edinburgh and most of the Lothians & Fife are now playing together in the same league system, with the chance to progress higher if they wish. Only fair that those in the west have the same opportunity - if that means the demise of junior football then so be it.

As for the podcast, outside of the ill-informed stuff on the pyramid, it's a good show.