Dons vs Saints 05/02/2020

Guest Bob Mahelp

We haven't been battering down the opposition goal, but I think defensively we've improved in the last 2 games. The balance of the team looks much better.

I'll be disappointed if we can't stop Wright's kick and rush gang of relegation fodder from scoring, especially as the only one of them that could play a bit now plays for us. 

Is Murray Davidson still suspended for his assault on Bryson ?  

Edited by Bob Mahelp

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We haven't been battering down the opposition goal, but I think defensively we've improved in the last 2 games. The balance of the team looks much better.

I'll be disappointed if we can't stop Wright's kick and rush gang of relegation fodder from scoring, especially as the only one of them that could play a bit now plays for us. 

Never change, @StandFree03

15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Will.you be booing your manager in the first half or saving it for the second ?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clark made a mistake on Saturday but beyond that has been pretty solid lately, not sure we've reached the stage of dropping him.

Exactly. Bit of a howler for the second goal but I think he’s been on good form other than that the past few months.  Earlier in the season during our dark times I thought he was in poor form. But he’s been much improved since November time .

His kicking has become a bit erratic, mostly from dead balls, compared to how good it used to be.

But a million miles away from being dropped in my opinion.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Exactly. Bit of a howler for the second goal but I think he’s been on good form other than that the past few months.  Earlier in the season during our dark times I thought he was in poor form. But he’s been much improved since November time .

His kicking has become a bit erratic, mostly from dead balls, compared to how good it used to be.

But a million miles away from being dropped in my opinion.

Fair enough, I see it a wee bit differently. Doesn't seem to me that he's communicating with defenders, moves out into his box to take crosses and then walks back like it's a ceilidh, absolutely loses it when the ball is coming towards him on the ground. Having said all that the conditions have hardly been keeper-friendly recently. 

I like Clark, I really do - on form he's a great keeper and without doubt should be our first choice. But the quality of his performances seem to be in an inverse releationship to the size of his beard. A spell on the bench (and maybe a shave) might bring the old Zander back. 

It's not a hill to die on though, and maybe too critical a time in the season for such a change, especially with a new CB going to have to settle in until Gordon's allowed back. 

Kane ... yes he did a lot of Kane-like things at the weekend. He drew fouls (more than the ref bothered to give), hit a couple of great through balls, but he also missed chances and bounced the ball off his shins. Again not a hill to die on but if Drey Wright is back and fit and on the right wing, would anyone - other than Tommy - be happy benching MOH for Kane? (BTW Kennedy vs Wright could be entertaining if Aberdeen play him left wing). 

By all accounts Butcher likes to sit a bit deep and ping balls on the diagonal, which Craig was really effective doing on Saturday. Can see the argument in not starting Butcher, but playing Craig for more than an hour would also seem risky after such a hard shift on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Again not a hill to die on but if Drey Wright is back and fit and on the right wing, would anyone - other than Tommy - be happy benching MOH for Kane?

I reckon Kane is a better partner for May than MOH.

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Actually I can see that. 

He's still not good enough though. 

Aye. I'd still like to see more of May and Hendry together, they're our best two strikers, and in theory it should work as far as I can tell. May likes to drift and take advantage of loose balls, while Hendry seems to prefer to be the target and is pretty successful at attacking crosses. 

In my head you can see crosses coming in, Hendry challenging for them fairly successfully and either winning the ball, or causing the defender enough of an issue that it might drop for May.