Dons vs Saints 05/02/2020

The games aren't half coming thick and fast right now, with a match against the league's shitehousers up next.

We are really down to the bones now in respect of the squad, with Tanser and Gordon likely to miss out in addition to Davidson and Wright. We only really have 5 fit defenders and the midfield isn't too far off the point where it's picking itself right now as well, given 2 options will have only trained with the club 2 or 3 times by the time this game comes round.

I'd probably revert to a 4-4-2 in this one and I'd probably select the same 11 that started the second half against Hearts. Big onus on the strikers to press from the front and support the midfield when Aberdeen are in possession, and also on Ralston/MOH to stop Kennedy getting crosses into the box from the left. 

Clark

Ralston Kerr McCart Booth

MOH McCann Craig Wotherspoon

May Kane

Let's play the reserves with a couple of first teamers that need the practice 

Clark 

Ralston     Kerr        McCart    Booth 

Swanson   Holt       Butcher   Jones 

Kane        Hendry 

Should have enough there to at least draw with these c***s. 

Feels like the type of game we chuck a new signing into things tbh.

League is the priority despite how tempting it would be to focus on Saturday, so youd be chucking a strong side out.

McInnesball means it likely be one up front for them so not sure the back 3 will appear for this one. Be happy enough with the 4-4-2 continuing on from where they left off as Kyle says.

Be happy with a point again to keep us ticking along, but we seem to have a good record up there I think. Obviously the Kennedy/Cosgrove factor is there since we cant really defend crosses.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I think that 3 might still be a reasonable option for this one, giving extra cover against Cosgrove. That would mean Kerr/McCart/Booth but we'd have no cover off the bench so would have to go to 4 is we lost a CB. Difficulty is with Tanser injured / out of form we're stuck at LWB and I'm assuming that we have Wright avaialble/ 

So, given those problems and the fact we did pretty well against Naismith & co in the second half on Saturday with the pair of CBs , I'd go with the 4 also.  I think that to squeeze in the new right wing-back Deek will alter the shape again. Who knows what we'll face. 

In the middle, I'm not sure that Craig can manage the 3 games in 9 days thing so I think he's earned a rest. Tommy did say that he thought Wright would be back. If not, MOH to the right and Spoony left. If Tommy thinks that Spoony can play again and be OK for Saturday, then by all means start him there with MOH moving to a number 10 and Hendry benched. 

Also, Saturday was surely the final proof that May needs another striker to work with. If we play a lone striker I'd make it Hendry. Kane was OK on Saturday but he's not good enough (please, no arguments) so let's try Hendry again in there. 

Here's the controversial bit;  Zander Clark needs a rest. He's been at best inconsistent and just looks very error prone, and his kicking (always poor) has been shocking. I think a spell on the bench could help him with motivation.

Parish

Ralston - Kerr - McCart - Booth

Wright - McCann - Butcher - MOH

Hendry - May

That's what I would do but I think Tommy will favour a 4-5-1.

2-1 Saints, May (2)

7 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I think that 3 might still be a reasonable option for this one, giving extra cover against Cosgrove. That would mean Kerr/McCart/Booth but we'd have no cover off the bench so would have to go to 4 is we lost a CB. Difficulty is with Tanser injured / out of form we're stuck at LWB and I'm assuming that we have Wright avaialble/ 

So, given those problems and the fact we did pretty well against Naismith & co in the second half on Saturday with the pair of CBs , I'd go with the 4 also.  I think that to squeeze in the new right wing-back Deek will alter the shape again. Who knows what we'll face. 

In the middle, I'm not sure that Craig can manage the 3 games in 9 days thing so I think he's earned a rest. Tommy did say that he thought Wright would be back. If not, MOH to the right and Spoony left. If Tommy thinks that Spoony can play again and be OK for Saturday, then by all means start him there with MOH moving to a number 10 and Hendry benched. 

Also, Saturday was surely the final proof that May needs another striker to work with. If we play a lone striker I'd make it Hendry. Kane was OK on Saturday but he's not good enough (please, no arguments) so let's try Hendry again in there. 

Here's the controversial bit;  Zander Clark needs a rest. He's been at best inconsistent and just looks very error prone, and his kicking (always poor) has been shocking. I think a spell on the bench could help him with motivation.

Parish

Ralston - Kerr - McCart - Booth

Wright - McCann - Butcher - MOH

Hendry - May

That's what I would do but I think Tommy will favour a 4-5-1.

2-1 Saints, May (2)

Clark is a much better keeper than Parish. Even Jim Leighton, a woeful spotter of goalkeeping talent, thought he was shite and binned him after a week.

I really, really hope we can score. Something from open play would be a pleasant surprise.

Pretty much nailed on that May is going to score, he seems to have his confidence back. Absolutely no chance he'd have tried to lob a keeper, on the volley, from the half way line last season. Whilst he never scored the goals for us, I do feel like we miss his workrate alongside Cosgrove. The guy always gave 100% and created a lot of space for Sam. 

44 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Clark is a much better keeper than Parish. Even Jim Leighton, a woeful spotter of goalkeeping talent, thought he was shite and binned him after a week.

Normally yes, but he's gone from being an asset to a bit of a liability this year. 

I've not seen that much of Parish (nobody has since he came to us)  and maybe he is poor, but Zander's not been himself lately and looks scared of the ball.

Shay Logan made his debut against St Johnstone in the 4-0 Tynecastle thumping, played a blinder and went on to be our best right back for 20 years. Ronald Hernandez to do exactly the same pls.

The coming-back-to-haunt-you inevitability of May and Kennedy will cancel each other out and they’ll both score. Dons to win 2-1 with a heider from Big Ash Taylor.

Parish is one of those keepers who concedes a f**k tonne of goals and you always feel hes a bit unlucky with them, yet he concedes so many you can only conclude that hes the issue.

Clark made a mistake on Saturday but beyond that has been pretty solid lately, not sure we've reached the stage of dropping him.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Ladbrokes are offering 14/5 on Curtis Main to score first on Wednesday.

I would have thought it would have been 500/1, so I'll look around before putting my 50p on it. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Not sure how anyone could watch Chris Kane’s Saturday performance and fail to acknowledge the effect it had on Stevie May. Same line-up as Kyle, please.

I'm no fan of his but have to agree. First half I thought he was rotten, but we were relying on him and May linking up, which Kane just simply cant do.

I think he had more chances against Hearts as he has done in about his last 6 games.