Motherwell v Celtic

A midweek trip to Fir Park to take on Stephen Robinson's Motherwell side who are having an excellent season as our bizarre run of consecutive away games continues. 

This is the toughest of them all in my opinion so will settle for any kind of win here, hopefully a 2-1 victory for the champions with Griffiths and Forrest on target. 

I said it in the Livi match thread but I would hope our performance yesterday will see some sort of reaction for this game.

As with any game against the Old Firm, I'll be relatively happy if we give a decent account of ourselves and don't get pumped.

I'll be (relatively) optimistic and say 1-1.

It's easy to forget that initially at least Robinson had a fairly respectable record against Celtic at Fir Park (less so at Parkhead and Hampden but whatever).

No wins like but when we were in peak "win the battle" phase we were 1-1, 0-0 (with 10 men) and 1-1 (granted that one had Gillespie saving a pen at 0-1). The 2-5 earlier this season was his first defeat in the fixture at home and that's the rub I suppose - this season we seem to be at a start of a new cycle where we're trying to be more expansive and the result is that we're a bit more fragile than when we were cutting about battering folk.

It's been mentioned before but losing Scott could well have more of an impact than people might have expected as we've lost a bit of presence and a useful out ball (same with Cole leaving tbh). Whereas Scott's replacement is an out and out winger and our collection of other forwards are inconsistent at best.

Like @Ron Aldo I'd take a decent performance compared to the shitshow against Livi but I'd imagine it'll be a fairly routine 0-2 or 0-3 for Celtic.

Edited by capt_oats

If you had asked me at 2.59pm yesterday I would have said that I fancied us to get something from this game.

However having went to Livi and watched the utter utter dross we served along with our completely lightweight and toothless attack, I now think we have zero chance of taking anything from this game.

3-0 Celtic.

19 minutes ago, ropy said:

Five at the back with Mugabi, 4 in the middle with O’Hara, any of the suckers up front, if we are still in it at 70 start to introduce the fast boys - or bring on another defender if we are getting a draw

I could see us doing something slightly different tbh.

eg: having Polworth or O'Hara playing off either Long or Ndjoli. Alternatively simply pairing Long and Ndjoli as a front two.

Gillespie
Gallagher Mugabi Hartley
Grimshaw Campbell Donnelly O'Hara Carroll
Polworth
Long

Edited by capt_oats

If we go a back 3 I don’t want Mugabi anywhere near it. I’ve quietly convinced myself that he is a bomb scare.

I think we will struggle to have an outball unless Rolando turns out to be an absolute baller. Accies caused Celtic plenty of problems when it was 11 vs 11 today so that gives a bit of hope.

3-0 Celtic.

30 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

If we go a back 3 I don’t want Mugabi anywhere near it. I’ve quietly convinced myself that he is a bomb scare.

I think we will struggle to have an outball unless Rolando turns out to be an absolute baller. Accies caused Celtic plenty of problems when it was 11 vs 11 today so that gives a bit of hope.

3-0 Celtic.

I think if we prepare for and start with a back 3 we can do it well, changing it mid game terrifies me

10 hours ago, nsr said:

We'll make a promising start but a referee fearing for his windows will send off a key player for an innocuous challenge and that'll be that.

Wouldn't surprise me but there's one thing for sure, they won't be getting any red cards, no matter what happens. The last Celtic player to be red carded in a match at Fir Park was Tom Boyd way back in something like 1992 or 1993.

I highly doubt that the referee will have any sort of material influence on the outcome on Wednesday night, we won't be at the races and it will be all over by half time.

Wouldn't surprise me but there's one thing for sure, they won't be getting any red cards, no matter what happens. The last Celtic player to be red carded in a match at Fir Park was Tom Boyd way back in something like 1992 or 1993.
I highly doubt that the referee will have any sort of material influence on the outcome on Wednesday night, we won't be at the races and it will be all over by half time.

That’s an interesting stat. Just goes to show Mr Lawwell has done an extremely good job at ensuring most officials are firmly on the payroll.