Stranraer v Rovers

...with half of them draws, including vs East Fife, Airdrie and Raith.

I think we’ve improved a bit but we’re certainly not a transformed team. All the draws you mention were in December. Our January results are much better, the only blip being the draw at Stranraer last week.
Time will tell I guess. I’m certainly not making any predictions here...

A Stranraer supporter writes:

The Blues' cunning plan to cut the deficit at the bottom of the table one point at a time continued this afternoon in an entertaining game against promotion-chasing Raith. Just like last week, there seemed no grounds for optimism at half time but a battling second half performance rescued a 1-1 draw.

With Andy Stirling restored to the side after injury Stranraer started positively, and the Raith goalie did well to get his fists to a corner kick which almost dipped under his crossbar, but soon enough Rovers got on top. There as a crispness and a sparkle to their attack which the Blues couldn't match, and as the clock ticked towards half time a goal for the visitors was looking more and more likely. When it came, 10 minutes before the break, it as a fine effort from John Baird, who timed his run perfectly to get behind the defence but still had a lot to do. Fair play to the lad. With coolness and skill he took the ball round Max Currie and then found the net in spite of three defenders all racing back to try to keep it out.

For the rest of the half all we could hope for was to keep the score down to 1-0. Wily Blues skipper Jamie Hamill twice gave his colleagues time to compose themselves by hammering the ball out of the ground in order to ensure that no further damage was done before the ref blew his whistle to send the players into the dressing rooms for a warm half time cuppa.

Immediately after the break it was clear that the tide was turning. By now the wind was making a mockery of any attempt by either side to play neat football. It was playing some weird tricks; attempted short passes finished up travelling 30 or 40 yards while long balls were repeatedly turned into short ones by sudden gusts. Stranraer needed a lucky break, and got one when Allen went down under a challenge from Miller and, I must admit to my surprise, the ref gave a penalty. The ball was twice blown off the spot before Stevo could take the kick, but when he did so he gave the 'keeper no chance.

After that both sides battled bravely to try and find a winning goal in very difficult conditions. Whereas last week against Falkirk the Blues wasted time to hang on to their point, today they were sprinting to take throw-ins and corners, demonstrating that they believed a rare win was on the cards. After James Hilton was introduced from the bench there was more focus to Stranraer's attack, but the howling gale finally defeated everyone. A draw was a fair result, and although Raith will be disappointed and see the draw as a missed opportunity to stretch their lead at the top of the table they have nothing to reproach themselves for. It was the weather wot won it in the end.

23 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

We've always struggled at places like Albion Rovers Brechin and Stranraer a point isn't the end of the world especially with the conditions.

Conditions effected both teams, that what Scottish winter football was about before your plastic pitches.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I think we’ve improved a bit but we’re certainly not a transformed team. All the draws you mention were in December. Our January results are much better, the only blip being the draw at Stranraer last week.
Time will tell I guess. I’m certainly not making any predictions here...

Agree 100%. This League is one of small margins and surprising results. As another Falkirk fan noted, less than 6 points versus Raith on the run in will make winning the league unlikely...I might not go that far, but it’s not a stretch to say that at least 4 of 6 would be a minimum for Falkirk. That being said, it’s an easy league to piss away.

8 minutes ago, thomas 62 said:

Trying to suggest that both teams played hard in the same conditions and should not be blaming wind and grass park every time they don’t win.

This was always going to be close and, for any Rovers fans suggesting it would be a stroll in the park is delusion.

No way were Stranraer going to roll over for us, or Falkirk for that matter.

SFC are fighting for their place in League 1, credit where credit is due, in spite of the weather.

Ok so not a great surface (not quite moon like but.....) and terrible conditions but it was the same for both sides so no real complaints there.

Hamill is a w****r, always has been and always will be, he's the reason the Stranraer goal was chopped off, holding onto Thomson at the corner he's just a cheating dick!

Few of our Raith guys weren't really at it today and those days will be the difference between winning this league and not winning it. Hendry chose today to have possibly his worst game yet and really should have been hooked for Dingwall instead of Tait. Miller wasn't at the races and McDonald nowhere near his best. 

It was a chance to turn the screw and we passed it up, hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

16 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Ok so not a great surface (not quite moon like but.....) and terrible conditions but it was the same for both sides so no real complaints there.

Hamill is a w****r, always has been and always will be, he's the reason the Stranraer goal was chopped off, holding onto Thomson at the corner he's just a cheating dick!

Few of our Raith guys weren't really at it today and those days will be the difference between winning this league and not winning it. Hendry chose today to have possibly his worst game yet and really should have been hooked for Dingwall instead of Tait. Miller wasn't at the races and McDonald nowhere near his best. 

It was a chance to turn the screw and we passed it up, hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

Having played you back to back, both you guys and Falkirk seem to have lacked a bit of ruthlessness and grit to grind out a result. Looking like a two-way scrap to the death but think you might just edge it.

9 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Interesting view on Hendry, Scottydog. Although I wasn’t there today, I think he’s looked poor recently. He maybe needs a rest. How did Maclean do?

Where I believe McLean was influential (I wasn't at Airdrie) last week winning headers and flick-ons he wasn't this week. To be fair he was well marshalled by the huge Stranraer centre back who didn't let him win anything in the air all day, Baird had a fairly solid game.  Ziggy was in and out of things, neither hot nor cold.

Thought Hendry was well off it, his passing was woeful and he was caught in possession a time or two.  Tait was solid and Matthews was on decent form Perhaps resting Hendry and playing Brad from the start will revive his form.

Davo was solid and Bene did nothing wrong but Miller was poor and McDonald wasn't on top form either.

25 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Where I believe McLean was influential (I wasn't at Airdrie) last week winning headers and flick-ons he wasn't this week. To be fair he was well marshalled by the huge Stranraer centre back who didn't let him win anything in the air all day, Baird had a fairly solid game.  Ziggy was in and out of things, neither hot nor cold.

Thought Hendry was well off it, his passing was woeful and he was caught in possession a time or two.  Tait was solid and Matthews was on decent form Perhaps resting Hendry and playing Brad from the start will revive his form.

Davo was solid and Bene did nothing wrong but Miller was poor and McDonald wasn't on top form either.

Given the description of the conditions and game, Miller and MacDonald were never going to be factors playing in a 4 back scheme. They both rely on speed and controlled passing/crossing to make our offense work, and are less committed to the defense, they are ideal wingbacks. With the conditions against the fast movement, passing and crossing, and playing four back, perhaps playing Watson/McKay/Davo/Bene would have been a better choice? Rest MaDonald and Miller, and protect them from the rough pitch as well.