Stranraer v Rovers

Watching the highlights of the Falkirk game has given me the fear. The pitch is a bobbly bog. Game could be a lottery. 

Hopefully someone like MacLean as a target man is exactly the kind of player we need in this context, but which we previously didn’t have. 

Away to a team rock bottom though just has to be 3 points if we want to win the league. More confident in this Rovers team than I would any of the others since McKinnon’s side in the second half of his season in charge. 

Must win game for us yet again. The month of February is going to be huge with 4 of our 5 games away from home (although the Challenge Cup is a free hit really). Off to a great start yesterday and we will need the same attitude and commitment at Stranraer.

As said above the pitch looked awful against Falkirk, think we might have to be a bit more direct than usual but at least we have that option now with MacLean. Energy from the midfield picking up second balls yesterday was superb too.

Stranraer are fighting for their lives and are unbeaten in their last 4 league games, albeit they have all been draws. Add in a respectable enough result at Ibrox and they look to be in decent form.

I can’t see any Rovers getting ahead of themselves, our record at Stranraer is pretty poor. I also remember us being in almost the exact same situation under Barry Smith. Away to Stranraer in January 2018 with Ayr playing in the Scottish Cup, chance to open up a 4 (?) point gap and then we lost 1-0.

Same team as yesterday for me, please just fucking win Rovers.

1) The pitch. How will it recover and how will it play? Hendry and MacLean both have small concerns regarding their knees, but grass is reputed to be an easier field, however uneven grass is a risk too. I don’t see resting them for what is clearly a vital game, but...

2) The hoodoo. Probably justified, Stranraer have gained 9 of their 14 points at Stair Park.

3) The tactics. Obviously the ball needs off the surface for accurate passing and movement, so we’ll perhaps be seeing more of the long outlet plays. JMcG favors the passing around the back approach to attacking, but the pitch will make this a bit more hazardous. Will he play five backs to allow MacDonald and Miller to push deep and wide, or stay with this weeks successful approach versus Airdrie, which featured a significant reduction in crosses from attacking wide defenders. I suspect JMcG is focusing on his preferred  4 back scheme, which I fear weakens our threat without improving our defending, but result are results, and that’s why he’s the gaffer.

4) The results. Winning this game would put down a huge marker for Falkirk who just failed to beat Stranraer, and are about to have to face an East Fife that might just have started to put it back together in order to remain three behind, if we win.

18 minutes ago, Frank conner said:
3 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:
Aye Stranraer away has been our bogey fixture since we’ve come down, absolutely unreal. Have we even won here in the last 3 years? Surely get this hoodoo burst like the Forfar one.
Absolute must win.

We won 3 nil at a canter in our first season down here.

Last four matches at Stair Park...

0-3, 1-1, 2-2, 3-2

Form certainly not improving.

The week before the game the Alloa match...

Stranraer might have won 9 of their 14 points at home, but 9 points at home this season hardly points to a fortress.

That said, it's been noted that we have a poor record down there and it's the sort of game we've seen us make a hash of regularly since we were relegated.

If we win this, then belief will really start to grow.

43 minutes ago, Frank conner said:
4 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:
Aye Stranraer away has been our bogey fixture since we’ve come down, absolutely unreal. Have we even won here in the last 3 years? Surely get this hoodoo burst like the Forfar one.
Absolute must win.

Only game I've been to down there and it must've been about 20 degrees. We scored early on and then had a straightforward game. That was the second last day of the season and the day before Ayr went and bottled it away to Alloa (before we bottled it at home to Alloa).

I'll not make this one myself, but it's hard to state how huge a game this is for our title intentions. Hopefully the weather isn't too chaotic and we can get the three points. 

This time two years ago we beat Airdrie to go 8 points clear of Ayr, who had a game in hand.  We drew our next two, whilst Ayr won them, then Ayr went on to beat us. 

Need to keep feet on the ground, but it's still a great opportunity with Falkirk not playing. We've already lost down three though so who knows what we will see on Saturday. 

Edited by CALDERON

12 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

This time two years ago we beat Airdrie to go 8 points clear of Ayr, who had a game in hand.  We drew our next two, whilst Ayr won them, then Ayr went on to beat us. 

Need to keep feet on the ground, but it's still a great opportunity with Falkirk not playing. We've already lost down three though so who knows what we will see on Saturday. 

This time last year we were 5 points lower than our current total. To sum up how absurd Arbroath's first half of the season was, they were on 52 points.