Morton vs. Queen of the South

Hard to say with any certainty. Stewart is diving backwards as he tries to stop it (he ends up in the back of the net) and the photo isn't quite in line either. Looks like it probably didn't cross the line but I expect it's a lot closer to doing so than that photo implies too. Did we have a Go Pro on the goal line or close to it as we often do? Hopefully that will give a better view.

Unfortunately, I picked this weekend not to have them in place.

I think decent referees and linesmen (let's call them what they are...assistant referees is a bit of a joke most times) who stay up with play would go a long way to solving the problems we have. Very rarely do you see a linesman contradict the referee with most waiting until they see how the ref has gone.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

I think decent referees and linesmen (let's call them what they are...assistant referees is a bit of a joke most times) who stay up with play would go a long way to solving the problems we have. Very rarely do you see a linesman contradict the referee with most waiting until they see how the ref has gone.

You don't see it because they do it all using their comms kits. Assistant referees do a hell of a lot more than the average punter thinks they do.

You don't see it because they do it all using their comms kits. Assistant referees do a hell of a lot more than the average punter thinks they do.
Yeah I think these comms have resulted in linesman getting more abuse. Seen it (heard it) a few times where a linesman makes a decision but the ref overrules him. Have they been told they don't need to raise their flag now until the ref ok's it?

Somerset Park is a good place to hear the linesman.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah I think these comms have resulted in linesman getting more abuse. Seen it (heard it) a few times where a linesman makes a decision but the ref overrules him. Have they been told they don't need to raise their flag now until the ref ok's it?

Somerset Park is a good place to hear the linesman.

Each ref will be different, they lay out what they expect of their assistants in their pre match instructions. Usually they'll ask their assistants to take charge of the area immediately in front of them though.

Each ref will be different, they lay out what they expect of their assistants in their pre match instructions. Usually they'll ask their assistants to take charge of the area immediately in front of them though.
Fair enough. While I have you Ref, why do ref's keep their arm raised in the air after certain free-kicks even after the ball is over their head?

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
35 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Fair enough. While I have you Ref, why do ref's keep their arm raised in the air after certain free-kicks even after the ball is over their head?

A raised arm at a free kick signals that it is an indirect free kick. Up until last season the arm had to stay raised until the ball was either touched by another player or went out of play. They can now lower their arm when it is clear that the ball isn't headed for the goal though.

Edited by die hard doonhamer