How many directors does your club have?

Can't be arsed trawling clubs' websites so I'm hoping people on here will know anyway.

We (QoS for those on the app) have three directors in total. I don't know how shares are distributed but I get the impression the directors collectively own more than 75% of the shares.

That seems like a surprisingly small number of directors and a surprisingly archaic model of ownership for what feels like a community asset, but I might be wrong.

Interested to hear how many directors other clubs have, and how ownership is split.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

19 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Can't be arsed trawling clubs' websites so I'm hoping people on here will know anyway.

We (QoS for those on the app) have three directors in total. I don't know how shares are distributed but I get the impression the directors collectively own more than 75% of the shares.

That seems like a surprisingly small number of directors and a surprisingly archaic model of ownership for what feels like a community asset, but I might be wrong.

Interested to hear how many directors other clubs have, and how ownership is split.

The three directors between them own about 8% of the shares. Not even in the same stratosphere as 75%! I've got more shares than one of them. David Rae is the biggest individual shareholder and he owns 24%. Nobody else owns more than 6%. The shareholding of the club is publicly available information on Companies House.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The three directors between them own about 8% of the shares. Not even in the same stratosphere as 75%! I've got more shares than one of them. David Rae is the biggest individual shareholder and he owns 24%. Nobody else owns more than 6%. The shareholding of the club is publicly available information on Companies House.

Cool, thanks for confirming, that's good to hear.

I just assumed it was closely held because one of the Directors is the son of a previous Director, and when the Trust put forward that motion to have a fan on the board it sounded (from the outside based on little info) like a small group of directors/associated families got together to resist it.

6 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Cool, thanks for confirming, that's good to hear.

I just assumed it was closely held because one of the Directors is the son of a previous Director, and when the Trust put forward that motion to have a fan on the board it sounded (from the outside based on little info) like a small group of directors/associated families got together to resist it.

At the end of the day David Rae and the extended Harkness family own about half of the club between them. If you don't have at least one of those on board (and the Trust had neither) then it's got no chance. Neither David Rae nor any of the Harknesses are currently on the Board though. The club has 150,000 shares and about 1,000 different shareholders.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

At the end of the day David Rae and the extended Harkness family own about half of the club between them. If you don't have at least one of those on board (and the Trust had neither) then it's got no chance. Neither David Rae nor any of the Harknesses are currently on the Board though. The club has 150,000 shares and about 1,000 different shareholders.

Thanks, that's interesting. Would be interested to see a pie chart of shareholding by families/associated entities etc. I don't know the PSC rules in Scotland, can you group together multiple people as having significant control?