Heading ban

AidenGoodinQOS

Should the sfa ban heading the football  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, AidenGoodinQOS said:

What are peoples views on the SFA banning heading the football

Utter nonsense.

What nobody seems to have mentioned is that the SFA study is only based upon the professional setup as opposed to nearly every kid in society who grew up playing football on a daily basis with their pals down the local park, on a spare bit of waste ground or even on the road and were heading the old hard footballs constantly.

In fact between the ages of about 6 and 16 we'd play "volley and heids" on an almost daily basis like the countless generations before us, yet as far as I'm aware there's not been a huge number of people in society developed dementia as a result of this ??

I would also ask how the informal game will be policed with this ban ? I'm suspecting it won't be which makes the whole thing a mockery.

All in all it's a typical knee jerk reaction that's synonymous with modern society where there's very little, if any, debate or counter arguments on anything.............

Edited by WATTOO

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Utter nonsense.

What nobody seems to have mentioned is that the SFA study is only based upon the professional setup as opposed to nearly every kid in society who grew up playing football on a daily basis with their pals down the local park, on a spare bit of waste ground or even on the road and were heading the old hard footballs constantly.

In fact between the ages of about 6 and 16 we'd play "volley and heids" on an almost daily basis like the countless generations before us, yet as far as I'm aware there's not been a huge number of people in society developed dementia as a result of this ??

I would also ask how the informal game will be policed with this ban ? I'm suspecting it won't be which makes the whole think a mockery.

All in all it's a typical knee jerk reaction that's synonymous with modern society where there's very little, if any, debate or counter arguments on anything.............

^^^^^

1 hour ago, The Gypsy King said:

dis is fukkin nonsenze.

i av bin eading ballz aw my life nd itz did me no ham.

If there is evidence that it causes problems later in life, then absolutely something should be done to protect kids from that, but...well, is the evidence we currently have from players old enough for it to happen even applicable?  We've seen cases of players getting fairly severe issues linked with heading the ball, but back then the balls were likely considerably heavier and more unfriendly than what is used now.  Granted, we don't have any data yet on what today's balls are doing, and I wouldn't know whether this would even be possible.

But I'm hardly the sort of person that has the knowledge or data to make the decision.  If it's affecting anything, even in a minor sense, then that's fair enough.  Although I am speaking as someone who grew up playing head-height 5s for most of my formative years, leading to someone with the jumping and heading ability of a guillotine victim.

23 hours ago, GhostZapper said:

they aren't talking about banning heading in all football are they? Just Under 12s? They have a lot of case studies and medical proof of the damage it causes, so we need to listen to the medical professionals on this

The study merely shows that professional footballers who head the ball are more likely to develop issues later on in life, but doesnt propose a medical reason for this. Incidentally it also shows professional footballers are far less likely to be at risk of cardiovascular disease too. 

Further work probably needs to be done on this, probably with a fully consented trial involving professional footballers.

19 hours ago, Mr.Bojangles said:

I'd rather kids be practicing to play with their feet in any case. 

What fucking lefty shit is this? I don't go to games to watch delicate interplay between players who have honed their technical skills, I want to see some guy hoofing the ball 50 yards (+/- depending on wind direction) so somebody on the touchline can bellow 'SECOND BALL' before it inevitably skites off the head of one of the 2 players jumping for it and rolls off the pitch in a random direction. 

On 31/01/2020 at 11:27, WATTOO said:

Utter nonsense.

I would also ask how the informal game will be policed with this ban ? I'm suspecting it won't be which makes the whole thing a mockery.

I think I'll take the word of a study set up to specifically look into the damage it causes over your "we aw heidered baws and nane ae us huv dementia" tbh.

On 31/01/2020 at 11:27, WATTOO said:

Utter nonsense.

If there would be one person on this site I’d expect this sort of reply to this topic to come from, it would be WATTOO. 

The most ‘yer da’ poster in the history of the website.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If there would be one person on this site I’d expect this sort of reply to this topic to come from, it would be WATTOO. 

The most ‘yer da’ poster in the history of the website.

That's always the easy "out" isn't it, when you don't fancy debate...........

It’s the kind of rule that isn’t going to do any harm to implement, research or not. It’s no bad thing if the kids have to learn ways of moving and controlling the ball without heading and so might even improve us.

There no real downside to the rule as heading will be easily learnt when they are a little older.