Geographic scope/catchment of your club's fanbase

On 01/02/2020 at 11:02, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And there are probably a few Hibs fans in Wester Hailes and Colinton.

EH4 takes up a huge area from “Historic Trainspotting country” to Comely bank Drumbrae in the south and out to Cramond in west.

It’s going to be a three way marginal between Hearts, Hibs and Rugby

To be honest I was really expecting Manchester to be the more contentious bit

I grew up in EH4. Stockbridge, Craigleith, Comely bank and Orchard Brae tended to favour Hibs slightly more than Hearts but not by much and the whole area was over run with Private School rugby types who viewed us football types with disdain and as ruffians. 

51 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I grew up in EH4. Stockbridge, Craigleith, Comely bank and Orchard Brae tended to favour Hibs slightly more than Hearts but not by much and the whole area was over run with Private School rugby types who viewed us football types with disdain and as ruffians. 

Of course back in the day that would have been Saint Bernard's Catchment area

North/North Eastish Edinburgh has always seemed pretty solidly Hibs to me, with the rest dominated by Hearts. Obviously fans of both/OF/English teams all over though.

Decent number of both Hibs and Hearts in West Lothian/Fife too. Seems like Hearts do better than us in the Borders tbh. East/Midlothian is staunch.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

On 05/02/2020 at 13:36, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Don’t know how many of them, but they certainly exist. I was standing next to a guy at a Scotland game a few years ago and when I asked him who he supported he said only Scotland now, before declaring with regards the merger, ‘football died in the highlands that day’. 

And tbf, I know I’d struggle to get behind a Fife United...

Two non league teams from the same town merging is hardly the same as  top flight (at the time) Raith Rovers and Dunfermline Athletic, from two separate towns, merging is it? 

As for the guy from the Scotland game, yeah Highland football completely died in 1994. Absolutely nothing has happened or been achieved from Highland clubs since then. He sounds like a guy who sits in the The Keg every Saturday afternoon trying to avoid his wife and hoping Rangers can get their 4th against Hamilton. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Two non league teams from the same town merging is hardly the same as  top flight (at the time) Raith Rovers and Dunfermline Athletic, from two separate towns, merging is it? 

As for the guy from the Scotland game, yeah Highland football completely died in 1994. Absolutely nothing has happened or been achieved from Highland clubs since then. He sounds like a guy who sits in the The Keg every Saturday afternoon trying to avoid his wife and hoping Rangers can get their 4th against Hamilton. 

Mate, I’m not having ago at ICT or saying he was right or that he wasn’t being hyperbolic! Just saying that they do exist... I’d be interested to know from someone local how unrepresentative he was?

Also take your point about the different circumstances. 

North/North Eastish Edinburgh has always seemed pretty solidly Hibs to me, with the rest dominated by Hearts. Obviously fans of both/OF/English teams all over though.
Decent number of both Hibs and Hearts in West Lothian/Fife too. Seems like Hearts do better than us in the Borders tbh. East/Midlothian is staunch.

Nah, it's changed a lot over time. The one which astonished me was my wee brother being 100% that Royal High was much more Hibs than Hearts. Given the location there that was a shocker to me.

The west/south west of Edinburgh is definitely Hearts, but the rest of the city is more Hibs fans pretty much everywhere imo.

Hearts have way more fans in the commuter towns than Hibs. If you're ever in Waverley or Haymarket when Hearts are at home there's way more Jambos coming in to them than Hibs fans when we're at ER.

So I'd say Hibs fans are generally from Edinburgh with heavy concentrations in some areas but throughout the city. Hearts have fans across the city, but a much higher percentage of their support comes from outside Edinburgh than Hibs.

On 02/02/2020 at 19:54, Illgresi said:

I'd say probably 40% in Aberdeen, 40% Aberdeenshire, 15% central belt, and 5% abroad.

Edit: With absolutely no facts to back that up.

Despite the lack of facts I would say that is a reasonably good shout.

Aberdeen City is mainly red, but there is a large incoming worker (and student) population - and if anything competing with English clubs for attention is a bigger problem these days than the (former) old firm. There are plenty in my work with north-east accents who will irritate me by going on about Spurs, Chelsea etc - but being little more than patronising or indifferent to their local club.

We still have a fair amount of Celtic sympathisers, because they went to St Josephs don't you know, or folk now in their 20s/early 30s who supported rangers because their halcyon EBT-assisted days coincided with the start of AFC's demise and they needed to seek what they felt was some kind of identity to make up for their genitalia not developing properly or whatever the reason.

Aberdeenshire contains as many, if not more, good dandies than the city with commuter towns like Ellon, Newmachar, Inverurie and Westhill being generally red, but the more southern facing places like Portlethen, Newtonhill and Stonehaven often being as much the settlement of choice for incoming ugly sister sympathisers, who need to get south faster.

The rural or traditional fishing parts of the mid to northern shire, such as Banff & Buchan stray more into traditional values where aligning with the church, and therefore following a Glasgow team becomes more common.

Central Belt  as mentioned earlier, a mixture of north-east diaspora (over a few generations) and some who saw us as a winning alternative to the sectarian uglies and kind of stuck with us.

Further afield  plenty of expat supporters, as you will find 'oilfield trash' in the usual clusters globally - namely the Middle East, Caspian, Houston, Calgary, Perth etc.......and a good squad, like most, in London.

Other places where we have strong representation are Inverness and Orkney as mentioned - met a coachload of very drunken Orcadians at the LC final a couple of years back.

Good thread though - it kind of fascinates me how this works all over the country.........as I will always have an instant respect for people that follow their local club, and see those that choose to ignore them and support the cheeks instead as a bit of an underclass.

Edited by tarapoa

Ayr, like everywhere in Ayrshire, is absolutely riddled with Rangers fans. Wouldn't even say 'Old Firm' fans, it is just absolutely riddled by braindead Rangers 'fans' who take as much pleasure in Ayr getting beat as they do in Rangers winning.
Ayr United's core fanbase is obviously Ayr and surrounding South Ayrshire. Anything from Girvan up to Troon is mostly Ayr (outside the OF) but Troon itself is a bit mixed between Ayr and Killie although it lies in South Ayrshire. 
Aside from that, the Aberdeen AUSC Quiz Night on Friday was  seemingly mobbed, with a flag on the wall reading 'Kuala Lumpur - Ayr United' so Kerrball is evidently going global.
Would you find much in the way of Ayr fans in parts of North Ayrshire due to the transport links? Thinking places on the Ayr branch of the Ayrshire coast line like Glengarnock/Kilbirnie, Dalry, Kilwinning & Irvine.

On 03/02/2020 at 10:13, AyrTroopMajor said:

Aside from that, the Aberdeen AUSC Quiz Night on Friday was  seemingly mobbed, with a flag on the wall reading 'Kuala Lumpur - Ayr United' so Kerrball is evidently going global.

Mobbed every year - happy to do our bit for Ayr youth development !

The president of the local fan club spent a couple of years in KL and kept the flag..........

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
Ayr, like everywhere in Ayrshire, is absolutely riddled with Rangers fans. Wouldn't even say 'Old Firm' fans, it is just absolutely riddled by braindead Rangers 'fans' who take as much pleasure in Ayr getting beat as they do in Rangers winning.
Ayr United's core fanbase is obviously Ayr and surrounding South Ayrshire. Anything from Girvan up to Troon is mostly Ayr (outside the OF) but Troon itself is a bit mixed between Ayr and Killie although it lies in South Ayrshire. 

Would you find much in the way of Ayr fans in parts of North Ayrshire due to the transport links? Thinking places on the Ayr branch of the Ayrshire coast line like Glengarnock/Kilbirnie, Dalry, Kilwinning & Irvine.

Definitely not many Ayr fans in Kilwinning, assume it's probably the same in the other towns.

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

You'll get a few dotted about but towns and villages in Ayrshire are dominated by Rangers fans, from bottom to top. You only need to look at the absolute nick of Irvine Meadow's home kit to see what I mean...

Image result for irvine meadow home kit

Image result for rangers title win

2 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

You'll get a few dotted about but towns and villages in Ayrshire are dominated by Rangers fans, from bottom to top. You only need to look at the absolute nick of Irvine Meadow's home kit to see what I mean...

Image result for irvine meadow home kit

Image result for rangers title win

Are they sacrificing a child in the top one?

In an idle moment of procrastination, and using the last Scottish census data and a bit of python scripting with postcode longitudes and latitudes, I worked out what the nominal team supports in Scotland would be if everyone in Scotland was a decent upstanding football fan who supported their geographically closest team. It does seem somewhat related to this thread so I'll drop it here. Essentially the 'Locals' column here denotes the number of people for whom that row's team is their geographically nearest, notwithstanding some approximations due to consolidated postcodes...

I didn't know what to expect, but it turns out that Hibs and Hearts, as well as Partick Thistle, St Mirren and Queen's Park, are the biggest losers from the gloryhunting proclivities of the OF fanbase, and it turns out that wee Elgin City has a moral claim to more supporters than Rangers. Who'd have thought?

LocalTeams.thumb.png.696a9d66c5378446b2b6176bb0f0e4f6.png

Edited by Aim Here