Falkirk v Hearts - 8th of Feb

falkirkzombie

We did quite well and I don’t think we’d have lost the game without Doyle’s stupidity costing us.

We had that mad five or so minutes when we hit the bar/post when it just wouldn’t go in for us. You need to score at least one of them to have any chance really.

No replay, a performance that the team can take a bit of confidence from, and results in the league went for us which is the most important thing.

Edited by Hughsie

I honestly was a bit disappointed in us last night apart from that 10 minute spell where we roasted Hearts but just had no luck at all. We showed them too much respect in the first half and really did not have a go in the last 15 minutes either.

Apparently there’s supposed to be a big gap in standard if you step up to the Premiership?

I really couldn’t believe just how shit Hearts were. On that showing they looked doomed to relegation...

Some people seem to forget we're a league one side struggling to get promoted. That said there was very little between the two sides last night apart from the silly pen. Better finishing and a wee bit of luck and we could possibly have taken it to at least a replay. Hearts team that played here in the championship a few years back was a country mile better than this crew though which has to be a concern for them. Important we now take the good parts of this performance into the league campaign.

20 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Some people seem to forget we're a league one side struggling to get promoted. That said there was very little between the two sides last night apart from the silly pen. Better finishing and a wee bit of luck and we could possibly have taken it to at least a replay. Hearts team that played here in the championship a few years back was a country mile better than this crew though which has to be a concern for them. Important we now take the good parts of this performance into the league campaign.

The weather was ridiculous last night. I genuinely believe that was a great leveller. 

I know this Hearts team are not great, but they are also not as bad as what you witnessed last night.

1 minute ago, Mr. X said:

The weather was ridiculous last night. I genuinely believe that was a great leveller. 

I know this Hearts team are not great, but they are also not as bad as what you witnessed last night.

What was the excuse for 79 mins against kilmarnock?   Weather was poor but we're no longer a top end championship side.  You should be sweeping us aside easily given our current level.

The weather was the same for both teams. I guess that means we underperformed last night too.
Excuses....

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

I honestly was a bit disappointed in us last night apart from that 10 minute spell where we roasted Hearts but just had no luck at all. We showed them too much respect in the first half and really did not have a go in the last 15 minutes either.

Apparently there’s supposed to be a big gap in standard if you step up to the Premiership?

I really couldn’t believe just how shit Hearts were. On that showing they looked doomed to relegation...

Yes they looked really poor.

Stendel has a good record of taking teams he manages on long winless runs so hopefully he keeps that record up.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Enjoyed the game. Good atmosphere and, despite the weather, both teams served up a no holds barred cup-tie.

Draw would probably have been a fairer result, Doyley's clumsy and unnecessary challenge settling it in Hearts favour. McManus deserved a goal for his all round play and effort. If Falkirk go up he'll comfortably do a job un the Championship, but he'll need better
support.

Hearts looked more solid when they went to a back four with Smith starting to run midfield.

17 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The weather was the same for both teams. I guess that means we underperformed last night too.
Excuses....

Falkirk did well last night despite the weather, but never managed a shot on target. 

3-5-2 didn't work and, as Stendel said after the game, we had too many players behind the ball. Dikamona was massively uncomfortable as the LCB and gave it away constantly.

Garuccio is just rubbish, has little positional awareness and his dreadful attempts to control the ball under no pressure never fail to surprise me. There was a moment in the first half where Irving had the ball in the left corner of our box and was clearly looking for Garuccio running into the space ahead on the left. Instead, Garuccio held back behind Irving and, upon receiving the ball, just launched it into the empty space ahead of him where he should have been. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if that's his last game for us.

Naismith looked fucked and needs a rest. We looked better when Walker replaced him.

As for the others, Pereira was still dodgy as f**k despite not having a save to make, Clare and Smith were good, Boyce was ok and Langer was neat and tidy despite not doing a huge amount. Everyone else was meh.

Also, as much as last night's performance was rubbish and didn't inspire any confidence that we'll survive this season, maybe it's best not to get too excited based on a one-off cup tie. The "gap" looked pretty big when we beat Airdrie 5-0 in the last round.

8 minutes ago, DC92 said:

3-5-2 didn't work and, as Stendel said after the game, we had too many players behind the ball. Dikamona was massively uncomfortable as the LCB and gave it away constantly.

Garuccio is just rubbish, has little positional awareness and his dreadful attempts to control the ball under no pressure never fail to surprise me. There was a moment in the first half where Irving had the ball in the left corner of our box and was clearly looking for Garuccio running into the space ahead on the left. Instead, Garuccio held back behind Irving and, upon receiving the ball, just launched it into the empty space ahead of him where he should have been. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if that's his last game for us.

Naismith looked fucked and needs a rest. We looked better when Walker replaced him.

As for the others, Pereira was still dodgy as f**k despite not having a save to make, Clare and Smith were good, Boyce was ok and Langer was neat and tidy despite not doing a huge amount. Everyone else was meh.

Also, as much as last night's performance was rubbish and didn't inspire any confidence that we'll survive this season, maybe it's best not to get too excited based on a one-off cup tie. The "gap" looked pretty big when we beat Airdrie 5-0 in the last round.

You huffed and puffed against them for 50 odd mins too and I would expect them to end up well behind us and raith in league one.  I 'm not overly surprised mind you considering you've had to start players like moore and Irving that couldn't get games for some of the worst falkirk sides ever assembled.

Falkirk clearly the better team on the night despite their agricultural approach.

Too many Hearts players not putting in the performances or effort that their wages demand.

Pereira still looking shaky. Halket and Langer hot and cold. Naismith on his second 'meh' game in a row - something up there?

Glad to have got through.

1 minute ago, Crùbag said:

Falkirk clearly the better team on the night despite their agricultural approach.

Too many Hearts players not putting in the performances or effort that their wages demand.

Pereira still looking shaky. Halket and Langer hot and cold. Naismith on his second 'meh' game in a row - something up there?

Glad to have got through.

Tbf to Naismith, although I think he’s an arsehole, Stendel’s tactics seemed to be to get the ball to Naismith no matter where he was on the pitch.

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You huffed and puffed against them for 50 odd mins too and I would expect them to end up well behind us and raith in league one.  I 'm not overly surprised mind you considering you've had to start players like moore and Irving that couldn't get games for some of the worst falkirk sides ever assembled.

We won 5-0. :lol: Try and spin that whatever way you like.

Lewis Moore's three league appearances this season have been puzzling but thankfully we are nowhere near "having" to start him. The jury is out on Irving, but he does at least have some ability and has clearly improved this season compared to his prior appearances for us.

We deservedly beat Rangers a couple of weeks ago. Maybe that means there's no gap between us. Or maybe it was a big match at home where we raised our game and they weren't as up for it.

We were poor but it's an away cup tie in shite conditions, going through is all that mattered.

Should've had a penalty in the first half for the foul on Clare and the one we got was a stonewaller.  I'd rest Naismith for Wednesday, we are likely to get pumped and Saturday is far more important. Plus Walker deserves a start.

We won 5-0. :lol: Try and spin that whatever way you like.
Lewis Moore's three league appearances this season have been puzzling but thankfully we are nowhere near "having" to start him. The jury is out on Irving, but he does at least have some ability and has clearly improved this season compared to his prior appearances for us.
We deservedly beat Rangers a couple of weeks ago. Maybe that means there's no gap between us. Or maybe it was a big match at home where we raised our game and they weren't as up for it.

Nah. Personally I just think it’s because your pretty shite tbh....