Falkirk v Hearts - 8th of Feb

falkirkzombie

I expected a doing before KO and I’ve came away gutted. Hearts created nothing apart from the penalty and the odd chances towards the end when we were pushing for an equaliser. Todd should have scored first half and then obviously the 3 strikes could easily go in on another day.

Really need to take confidence from that and use it in the league. Hope some of them players are not regulars for Hearts or they are in serious bother.

Out to a penalty that never was. Played ok, but if you cant stick 1 of the 3 that came off the woodwork away, you can't complain too much. Jambo's weren't up to much. Can see why they're battling to avoid relegation.

2 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Out to a penalty that never was. Played ok, but if you cant stick 1 of the 3 that came off the woodwork away, you can't complain too much. Jambo's weren't up to much. Can see why they're battling to avoid relegation.

From where I was sitting, Doyle was silly to make the challenge. Especially in a game Beaton is refereeing and Naismith is playing.

Thought we gave it our all tonight and on another night we go through. Doyle tonight had cost us and to be honest it’s been coming. Can’t fault the guys effort but week in week out he loses the ball when he’s bombing forward. He’s as old school a full back as they come. If I was a hearts fan I think I would be concerned if that’s the best team they put out. Doesn’t look to be a leader out there and some of the players couldn’t wait to get off that park.

Overall tho it’s the perfect scenario for me. A confidence boosting performance and don’t have to worry about the cup.

Falkirk looked more than a match for Hearts here, though I fear that says more about how awful we are, than how good Falkirk were.

Could easily have gone the other way but I’ll take the win and am happy we avoided the reply. Everyone with eyes will be happy we avoided a replay.

Edited by Jambomo

We played a lot better than i expected and hearts were much worse than expected. I thought Boyce and naismith would cause Buchanan and durnan all sorts of problems but didn't at all.

really unlucky to go out, hearts look like they could have played all night without scoring. I thought it was a penalty albeit soft, Doyle was sheer stupidity putting the challenge in when Boyce was going nowhere and is known for throwing himself down (like naismith in the first half).

thought Doyle's challenge aside the defence coped well. mutch had another really comfortable game in testy conditions. not often you hit the inside of the woodwork 3 times and don't score. thought sammon could have done better with the rebounds was within a yard of all 3 and reactions were poor. couldn't he have jumped for the 3rd one?

players should take confidence from this and turn the screw in the league

Game panned out a lot differently than I was expecting, after seeing the line-ups I thought that front 3 were going to give us an absolute doing but fair play we competed really well and our ability to press was surprising.

Thought whilst Hearts had more of the ball they really didn’t do much at all with it. Thought they potentially could’ve had a first half penalty when Mutch came out and didn’t get a touch on the ball but I’m not sure how much of Clare he actually got though, Naismiths dive though was fucking laughable should’ve been booked for that. Our only real chance in the first half was when Todd was through it looks like he should’ve done a lot better with it.

Second half Hearts changed their formation and went to back 4 which I think caught us out to begin with. I was too far away to be able to properly tell about the penalty that was given but going by the reactions of the players seems like it was fair enough. It was a fucking stupid tackle for Doyle to make as Boyce was going away from goal. Then we had our 3 chances that hit the woodwork and that’s when you really knew it wasn’t going to be our day. McManus probably should’ve done better with the first shot but was really unlucky with the second. Really thought Gary Millers effort was going in was some strike but I’ve no idea how Sammon missed the follow up he needs to be burying that. After that it was some good game management from Hearts and poor substitutions from us and we just never looked like we were going to get back in the game.

I say this every week but again I thought Miller was our best player. Feared the worst when he got booked so early on but fair play to him he was some driving force from the middle of the park and along with Gomis competed extremely well. McManus battled away and closed down well from the front and fair play to Durnan as well I thought he was absolutely solid and strolled it.

Our subs were wrong and offered nothing imo. Big Louis fan but he didn’t get into the game at all and the other 2 are shite. Bringing on Telfer wide left was strange anyway but he was gash and McMillan just fucking hell. Literally running into the ball.

I think I was expecting too much from Hearts though. I know they’ve been shite this season but really was expecting more with their new signings. Their ‘keeper is awful but we never tested him anywhere near enough. Andy Irving has improved since he was with us he made 2 cracking 40 yard passes in the second half and Michael Smith just strolled it in all 3 positions he ended up playing in.

Pretty shite all round tbh, weather wasn't great at all and the pitch is w**k. 

Didn't think Hearts created much until later on when falkirk seemed to tire a bit. Falkirk pretty unlucky to not score hitting the woodwork 3 times. 

I think the worrying thing is Falkirk never played well and still created a few chances. 

I think we are really in danger of going down. 

Poor turnout from the home crowd, I might be remembering my youth wrongly but I always thought of Falkirk as being a pretty well supported team. 

It was a kind of free shot tonight in a way. If we'd got through, then great, if not we could concentrate on the league and get the 'unbeaten' monkey off M&M's back.

We were very unlucky to go out I thought though, very unlucky with the efforts that hit the woodwork and we gave Hearts problems throughout. I said when the penalty was awarded 'f**k, I thought he'd given a penalty there for a second' as I assumed it was a goal kick. Don't remember any Hearts players or fans claiming it either.

I thought the substitutions were wrong again too. I would certainly have brought Longridge on but he should have been further forward. He came on with about 20 minutes left but I don't remember him ever getting into a position where he could cause any damage. McMillan and Telfer were pointless and it just cost any momentum that we'd built. I can understand bringing on fresh legs if folk are struggling but that didn't seem to be the case with the 3 that went off.

Falkirk looked more than a match for Hearts here, though I fear that says more about how awful we are, than how good Falkirk were.

Could easily have gone the other way but I’ll take the win and am happy we avoided the reply. Everyone with eyes will be happy we avoided a replay.
Both sides were of mid-low 1st division standard. Hearts are pretty much where we were a couple of years back.

Pleased to have got through that.

Falkirk will feel unlucky having the best chance in the first half, and hitting the woodwork three times in the second half. 

Hearts weren't great, but the conditions were horrible for both sides.

Crazy coverage too! :lol:

Edited by paranoid android