Inverness v Alloa

As I predicted it turned out a tough game, lovely ball into the box from Welsh for our goal, to me their penalty was justified but how O'Hara missed our open goal after Rooney sliced the ball is beyond me, it should have been a red card and a penalty when Doran was through on goal and definitely impeded, seems like those referee's don't like coming up the A9.

Tom Walsh was a surprise MoM, for me he has a better game in him than he showed today.

Who else could have got it?

Walsh by no means stood out today or even performed well but I think it was one of those days where it was pick a name out of a hat and every player was poor.

White needs dropped after today. Horrendous performance.

Chance after chance and time after time we fail to convert them!.  Thank god White actually scored after missing multiple chances plus one or two sitters. His touch & passing is still pretty poor he needs to work on that to become a better striker. But if he keeps coming up with a goal every couple of games then he will just about stay in my good books. 

We should of put Todorov on instead of McGregor played two up front instead of one for more pressure in the later stages.

Thought McGregor  got outmuscled off the ball far too easily. There is definitely potential in him but he needs to get to the gym more & beef up otherwise defenders will just bully him all the time especially in Scotland. 

Thought our defence let us down when Alloa went on the break quite a couple of brain farts occuring. Ridgers had to save the day on a couple of occasions that close range save that denied Alan Trouten was amazing.

I thought we were decent on the attack but not amazing by any means we need to be more clinical in the final third. Miles Storey shooting over the bar when he should of hit the back of the net is the perfect example he was in a perfect position to score🙈.

Edited by Super Caley Man

Chance after chance and time after time we fail to convert them!.  Thank god White actually scored after missing multiple chances plus one or two sitters. His touch & passing is still pretty poor he needs to work on that to become a better striker. But if he keeps coming up with a goal every couple of games then he will just about stay in my good books. 
We should of put Todorov on instead of McGregor played two up front instead of one for more pressure in the later stages.
Thought McGregor  got outmuscled off the ball far too easily. There is definitely potential in him but he needs to get to the gym more & beef up otherwise defenders will just bully him all the time especially in Scotland. 
Thought our defence let us down when Alloa went on the break quite a couple of brain farts occuring. Ridgers had to save the day on a couple of occasions that close range save that denied Alan Trouten was amazing.
I thought we were decent on the attack but not amazing by any means we need to be more clinical in the final third. Miles Storey shooting over the bar when he should of hit the back of the net is the perfect example he was in a perfect position to score[emoji85].

Agree with the first three paragraphs.

Can’t say I disagree with the fourth but I would just say surely that is going to be what we expect from our defence now? We’ve sold our two starting centre backs and replaced them in the starting 11 with a right back and a left back. We kinda have to accept that they are going to have a couple of nightmares, probably each week. I can see a lot of people over the next month or so going in with heavy criticism of them, not saying you are doing this I should add, when it’s not their fault that they have been put in this position when they aren’t good enough for it.

I don’t agree we were good going forward though. I’m mainly basing this on the second half, we still created the goal and that white header at the end but we just had no clue how to break down the two deep banks of four that Alloa set up against us. We were so slow in possession and going side to side. Welsh and Carson made a difference when he came on but it was too late.

Got to give Alloa credit as well. That was an almost perfect away performance and they could easily argue they deserved to win with the three or four great chances they passed up during the game.

2 hours ago, Super Caley Man said:

I thought we were decent on the attack but not amazing by any means we need to be more clinical in the final third. Miles Storey shooting over the bar when he should of hit the back of the net is the perfect example he was in a perfect position to score🙈.

Totally get the bit about MacGregor getting outmuscled but I happen to go to the same gym as him and see what he and four others of that youth team are pushing. They’re hitting serious weights. Give them time. They’re working really , really hard. Just keep supporting them, they’re young and they need every positive shout they can get. 

Decent away point given we had a young untried keeper and new formation at the back, including a boy making his first start. Over the piece though, a little disappointed not to get the 3 points.

Understandable that ICT pumped a lot of high balls into the box after the cup tie and given we were missing Graham and with a new goalie replacing Macdonald, but there was very little threat in first half. As well as pen we he Thomson missing open goal (albeit seemed tight angle) and Kevin Cawley with a good chance at back post. 

ICT goal was a shit one to lose for us from another rather innocuous ball into box. Boys regrouped well and was a terrific and brave save from Ridgers  at end to keep it at 1-1. ICT had that chance after for 2-1 but felt that would have been a travesty, and particularly when controversial call went against us just before it. 

In circumstances, decent point and team should hopefully settle more in weeks ahead after a good few changes last few days. Spirit fantastic as ever. 

ICT look a greatly diminished team with McHattie and Mackay at centre of defence rather than McCart and Donaldson. 

Edited by Waspie

ICT goal was a shit one to lose for us from another rather innocuous ball into box. Boys regrouped well and was a terrific and brave save from Ridgers  at end to keep it at 1-1. ICT had that chance after for 2-1 but felt that would have been a real travesty, and particularly when controversial call went against us just before it. 

What was the controversial call just before that chance?

9 hours ago, PB1994 said:

What was the controversial call just before that chance?

I felt at the time that there was a clear foul down at our end before Caley broke up the park, and was even more convinced when I was steaming last night writing that post. Highlights will clear it up anyway. 

2 minutes ago, printer said:

Was it a back three - Stirling, Taggs, Deas?
How did Stirling and Wright do?

Yeah looked like that. The defence and keeper did very well, particularly with ICT firing in loads of crosses. The goal was one of the few they didn't deal with. Stirling looks promising and although Wright didn't have many saves to make, he went about his business well. 

Great to see Trouts back too, he looked sharp when he came on. 

Didn't think the Alloa penalty was as soft as some made out. My initial reaction was penalty at the game. And it was probably no more than Alloa deserved. They created the better chances and again played some really good football. Our defence continues to look creaky in the absence of McCart and Donaldson.

White had one of his classic games where he scored but also passed up easy chances to secure what would have been a big win for us. How he missed the header from about 4 cm out at the end I'll never know but he should great strength to hold off his marker before turning in the equaliser.

Walsh sent in some decent crosses during the game and having him back is a boost and Welsh was typically composed in the middle when he came on. I'd like to see him team with Carson in the coming weeks. Vincent and Trafford weren't great.

Ridgers made some good saves especially at the end as Alloa threatened to nick a win. They probably had the better chances in the second half in fairness.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

I felt at the time that there was a clear foul down at our end before Caley broke up the park, and was even more convinced when I was steaming last night writing that post. Highlights will clear it up anyway. 

Yeah looked like that. The defence and keeper did very well, particularly with ICT firing in loads of crosses. The goal was one of the few they didn't deal with. Stirling looks promising and although Wright didn't have many saves to make, he went about his business well. 

Great to see Trouts back too, he looked sharp when he came on. 

Agreed. The goal was a poor one defensively but it was only time we really allowed White time in the box. Very much a new defensive unit, but they fought brilliantly despite being peppered with a lot of crosses into our box. We charged down loose balls in numbers, getting bodies goal side. Robertson in particular was excellent snuffing out danger. Whilst Caley Thistle style of play contributed, it was particularly encouraging that they didnt manage to play through us at any point really in the game.

Very encouraging to see Trouts back. But credit where its due, Thomson was really good again up top winning aerial balls and linking play.

The team has an excellent balance to it right now, and we finally have a few options to change it where situations dictate.

Very encouraging to see Trouts back. But credit where its due, Thomson was really good again up top winning aerial balls and linking play.
The team has an excellent balance to it right now, and we finally have a few options to change it where situations dictate.

It's notable that O'Hara has thrived with Thomson coming into the team. Trouts has a big part to play, but he may not start for a few weeks. A great option from the bench.

Did Robbo play wide right or more in centre mid?

13 hours ago, printer said:

It's notable that O'Hara has thrived with Thomson coming into the team. Trouts has a big part to play, but he may not start for a few weeks. A great option from the bench.

Did Robbo play wide right or more in centre mid?

Robbo played right, with Stirling Deas and Taggart more central and Dick further up on left. Worked well