South Africa

Squirrelhumper

52 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

South Africa is a country I have never been to myself, but I would love to go. It looks absolutely amazing.

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Plus there are Wimpy's everywhere 🤣

Richey, they could have saved £0000’s and gone to Dingwall instead.

• 3 months later...

I’m going to Cape Town next month. It’s a work trip - 6 days at a conference, so I’ll not have loads of spare time, and will have to rely on public transport. But I want to see and do something while I’m there, and sneaking out of the conference for an afternoon or two should be quite doable.

Any suggestions? Looking at Table Mountain, penguins, Robben Island, etc. What should I not miss?

Also any recommendations for restaurants, bars, areas to go eating and drinking in etc much appreciated.

18 hours ago, Adamski said:

I’m going to Cape Town next month. It’s a work trip - 6 days at a conference, so I’ll not have loads of spare time, and will have to rely on public transport. But I want to see and do something while I’m there, and sneaking out of the conference for an afternoon or two should be quite doable.

Any suggestions? Looking at Table Mountain, penguins, Robben Island, etc. What should I not miss?

Also any recommendations for restaurants, bars, areas to go eating and drinking in etc much appreciated.

No advice yet I’m afraid but I’ll be interested in the replies as I’m hoping to go to a conference there in June. Going to try and add on a few days at the end before coming back (work don’t mind as long as I pay for that bit). 

Table Mountain is on my list so far Table Mountain  and the beach looks amazing. That’s as far as I have got I’m afraid.

On 17/01/2023 at 21:31, Adamski said:

Oranjezicht market was the best thing we did in Cape Town. Loads of unreal food and drink stalls. Highly recommended.

Penguins are a bit of a distance, would need to rent a car and leave the city. Robbin Island was good but it’s at least half a day all in so not ideal if you don’t have much spare time.

If you like hiking then would recommend hiking Lions Head, gives you a great view of the city and of Table Mountain. 

If you drink coffee would highly recommend Truth Coffee, best coffee I’ve ever had. Restaurant wise Fyn is a tasting menu place (think it’s rated one of the worlds best restaurants) and was excellent. Best meal we had was at a place called Pot Luck Club, small plates type place, absolutely superb. At night for drinking I’d recommend the waterfront as it’s touristy and safe enough to walk around in. I didn’t mind walking about during the day, but night time we were told by locals to Uber everywhere as walking wouldn’t be a good idea.

I went to Cape Town in December 2019 but did not rent a car.  I went on the Red Route Hop-On to go to Table Mountain.  Then the Blue Route to see the Botanic Gardens and the Monkey House.  I also went on a bus to the Cape of Good Hope and that trip included a visit to a beach where you walked on a wooden walkway and the penguins were just there in front of you.

• 3 months later...
Guest ICTFCwife

Never been to South Africa myself however someone I was seeing was from Hoedspruit. Having seen many,many photographs and been told about it I would definitely be interested in going one day. If you’re looking for a detach from everything,wholesome type of holiday this is the type of place to go. 

I went through a period of listening to TalkSPORT in the run up to the 2010 world cup. Alan Brazil talking about phones getting nicked out if your hands, and drive by shootings at traffic lights. I don't think he was keen on going. 

17 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I went through a period of listening to TalkSPORT in the run up to the 2010 world cup. Alan Brazil talking about phones getting nicked out if your hands, and drive by shootings at traffic lights. I don't think he was keen on going. 

I listened around that time. 

The Moose said no joke something a long the lines of ''Sandton is lovely, first class restaurants and bars but it gets dicier when you drive in to Hillbrow. I didn't see a white face for miles so I locked the doors and windows up,when in downtown Joburg,'' 

Edited by Kejan