Livi v Motherwell

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

That wasn't as enjoyable game to watch as it should have been. Despite them obviously having an off day; Motherwell are a good side and its not too difficult to see why they're sitting third. 

Easily the best goalkeeper in the division and some strong defensive and midfield options. Its worth noting that when Dykes was playing more on the left he was up against Gallagher and got very little quarter; switching to the right he got a lot more freedom.

With virtually no bite for Motherwell up front; our defence seemed to have almost all the time in the world; allowing for our backs to push more forward and flood the midfield.

We played very well (in my opinion) but Motherwell's lack of attack really played into our hands; interesting particularly as our "wing" backs were both Motherwell "rejects".

Also worked the other way around too, when Dykes chased down Gallagher getting the ball from Gillespie, stopping him bringing the ball up the pitch, and he was having to pass it to the other CB who wasn't as good as Gallagher at getting it out of their half to a Motherwell player. Dykes did a hell of a work running about by himself between Gillespie and 2 CB's. Gillespie wasn't great at kicking the ball out either, and could hardly clear his own half, brilliant keeper that he is, his kicking is shite.

13 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Don't think Robinson actually knows how to play against us, not at the Spaghettihad anyway, in his post match interview he looked bewildered when trying to explain what he needs to do against Livi. He falls into the lets give Livi a physical battle trap, and abandons how you usually play, that just plays right into our hands, we are used to playing the way we do, other teams trying it, just aren't as good.

Aye I'd agree with this. Other than the 3-0 around this time last year we've rarely looked at all comfortable against Livi over the last two seasons,even in the games we've taken something we've usually been the worse of the two teams for pretty significant chunks of the game and ended up hanging on. 

5 hours ago, ropy said:

I don’t think you understand the sentence you have quoted

Yeah did us playing well make you have an off day, or did you having an off day make us look like we played so well, fans tend to blame/credit it on their own team's performance.  My personal belief is that it has something to do with how our players play against everyone that affects their performance on the day, or it would be a hell of a coincidence the last 3 seasons (and some lucky streak we're on) if every team we played well against and beat just happened to have an off day against us.

40 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Don't think Robinson actually knows how to play against us, not at the Spaghettihad anyway, in his post match interview he looked bewildered when trying to explain what he needs to do against Livi.

22 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye I'd agree with this. Other than the 3-0 around this time last year we've rarely looked at all comfortable against Livi over the last two seasons,even in the games we've taken something we've usually been the worse of the two teams for pretty significant chunks of the game and ended up hanging on. 

That's kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned our record at Almondvale.

Since Robinson's been manager we've only scored 1 goal through there. We've won the LC game when Livi had just been promoted 1-0, drawn 0-0 and lost 2-0 and 1-0.

You compare that with our home record against them under Robinson it's: 1-1, 3-0, 3-2 and 2-1. That's F 9 A 4 and we've scored in every game.

Even allowing for home advantages, the 3-2 game being an end of season kick about where we ended up giving Devine and Cornelius debuts and Livi being better than they get credit for etc it definitely points to something on our side in terms of how we're approaching these games.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

That's kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned our record at Almondvale.

Since Robinson's been manager we've only scored 1 goal through there. We won the LC game 1-0, drawn 0-0 and lost 2-0 and 1-0.

You compare that with our home record against Livi under Robinson it's: 1-1, 3-0, 3-2 and 2-1. That's F 9 A 4. Even allowing for the 3-2 game being an end of season kick about where we ended up giving Devine and Cornelius debuts and yes Livi are very good at home etc but it definitely points to something on our side.

Think the 1-0 LC game was when Kenny Miller was in charge, and fecking about with how we usually play, I remember coming away from that game totally depressed at what our season was going to be under Miller (not losing to Motherwell, but playing in a style that just didn't suit Livi). Thankfully we got rid of him sharpish, Holt came in, and we went back to the way we' played under Hoppy.

We've tweeked it a bit this season, more through necessity of losing our keeper and 2 CB's in the summer, having to play a back 4, in a 4-5-1, and using wingers instead of WB's in a 3-5-1-1 last season. Still do the high tempo, pressing play though, but tend to play it a bit more on the deck in our own half this season, though still hoof it when need be. And are still decent at getting goals from long throws.

5 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Think the 1-0 LC game was when Kenny Miller was in charge, and fecking about with how we usually play, I remember coming away from that game totally depressed at what our season was going to be under Miller (not losing to Motherwell, but playing in a style that just didn't suit Livi). Thankfully we got rid of him sharpish, Holt came in, and we went back to the way we' played under Hoppy.

Aye. Just had a quick check on your Wiki page from that season and it looks like it was his last game in charge. That game was 18th August and he left the role on the 20th.

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah did us playing well make you have an off day, or did you having an off day make us look like we played so well, fans tend to blame/credit it on their own team's performance.  My personal belief is that it has something to do with how our players play against everyone that affects their performance on the day, or it would be a hell of a coincidence the last 3 seasons (and some lucky streak we're on) if every team we played well against and beat just happened to have an off day against us.

And wasn’t that the point of the sentence?

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Big shout to the double rainbow as the 2nd half started too, there was 3 points for Livi at the end of it.

Image may contain: outdoor and text

What you probably didn't see was the fact that even the sky was in Livi colours...

IMG_20200201_163352_MP.thumb.jpg.bb57f091f3d8e091573d1c03fc22bf6a.jpg

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Don't get into Europe Livi, look what happened to Killie, Pars, Falkirk, Caley, St Johnstone, Hearts, Hibs etc.

It all ends in tears.

We've got a decent track record, arguably the best, in post-Europe implosion. The home support is still less than half what it was back then.

Edited by crispy

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Don't get into Europe Livi, look what happened to Killie, Pars, Falkirk, Caley, St Johnstone, Hearts, Hibs etc.

It all ends in tears.

Got to make hay while the sun shines, this run we're on wont last forever.

Image result for beach balls

Besides, Aberdeen have been in Europe long enough, about time they gave someone else a shot.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Last word on this, if Hartley had scored at the end it would have been in keeping with our season, we have won many a game and earned points without being significantly better than the opposition e.g. the recent Aberdeen game.

And it is good to see Jack McMillan making a career at a good level.