Livi v Motherwell

That would have been funny had we scored in the 91st minute with our only shot. 

Feel for the fans that went along today. Always hurts to lose but more so when u witness it. 

Well done Livi. Shows what u can do on a modest budget. 

We will not stay top 4 if we play half as badly as that again in any game between now and end of season. 

Hopefully a wake up call ahead of the cup tie next week. 

Only Celtic up next ! 

PS - When is Turnbull going to be fit.....we may need him back sooner at this rate. 

Really can't believe how this season is turning out for us. Given we have thrown away leads in the last 10 minutes of games in the first half of the season, we seem to digging deep now for results …but that performance today from the entire Livi team was only bettered by the performance of Mark Gillespie in goal for Motherwell. 

I think we'll get a top 6 spot this season, and although I talk tongue in cheek about looking out the passport I would not put it past this team to get a 4th place finish this season.

With Aberdeen picking up a point today and us losing to Celtic midweek (mortgage will be on it) that could bring Aberdeen level. After returning from that debacle what I saw made me more sad than angry. We were miles behind livi when it came to our thought process. They were incisive in passing, decisive in clearing any possible build up from us and getting their next attack going. Passionate about wanting to win and their desire to work for each other was at least 2-3 seconds ahead of everything Motherwell could do. We played like we we wearing lead boots, every single thing we did was tiring and laboured. Our build up (if there was such a thing) was excruciatingly slow in everything wee tried. Even the fans were pointing out passes quicker than the players. Not one leader on that park.

Our midfield, given much kudos all season were swept aside as if they didn't exist today. Not one midfielder showed for a pass out of defence. We just could not get out of our own half. Not just for 20 minutes or so but for the whole game. We didnt need a striker, which is what we all want signed as they would have sat in the stand for the whole match as they were never going to get a sniff at anything today. Our only out ball in the first half was Hylton who was subbed (wish I knew why), he was the only person capable of getting the ball anywhere near their goal.

I can only hope whatever was going on today with the whole team (bar the keeper) is out their system before we play Celtic. Just hope to god it was a bad day and the players can regroup but that was brutal.

Phenomenal again today. Ref was shite, but Gillespie was having a great of a day. Bit of grit and determination gets us over the line.

Last season we would've lost that. Bring on that 4th spot and hopeful European place!!!!!!

An absolute weekend-ruiner of a performance - surely our worst of the season. It was magnified further by the fact that Livi were very good and in truth it should have been way more than 1-0.

Most disappointing thing for me was that in the way we lined up, there was no acknowledgement that we would need to combat the way that Livi play - our "normal" style simply isn't cut out for this fixture and it showed just as it did in August. I said at the start of thread that I'd be quite happy if we treated this game the way we treated Aberdeen at Pittodrie and I stand by that.

Off for some cat kicking.

We've only scored 1 goal in our last 4 at Almondvale and that was back in August 2018 for the LC game. Since then it's been 2-0, 0-0 and today's 1-0.

That's...not very good.

Fair fucks to Livi for being good.

Boo to us for being absolutely shite.

#ANNOUNCETONY FFS

Edited by capt_oats

If livi has won that game 4-0 it would not have been an injustice.

Far better team across the full pitch. Apart from the goalie as Gillespie saved us from a hiding and McCrorie had nothing to do.

Well done Livi but Motherwell you can take a flying f**k to yourself.

Funny old game. A single goal did settle in the end but it panned it nothing like the close contest we’d all expected. Some shift from the lads and no subs used. Really incisive play in the final third (although we scored one with 16 attempts).

Kinda shocked a bit at Motherwell hitting the post near the end 😳

Fair play to Livi, they can be great at what they do.

Gillespie was great for us.
Tait is finished.

Polworth was completely anonymous today after he gave Donnelly two hospital passes. Campbell and Donnelly were poor, not their usual from the midfield trio.

Ilic was a waste of a jersey

Hylton was doing alright but I think a lot of folk think he's a lot better than I do.
Long was poor also.

Mugabi is rotten. Sticking him up front was a joke. We'd have been better starting the game with Dec Gallagher up front and using him to hold the ball up.

£25 fucking quid anaw. Fitba is horribly priced.

Fantastic performance, as one sided as you’re likely to see in any league game this season.

What pleased me the most is we played some brilliant stuff to go with it, we got in behind Motherwell nearly every time we got forward, McMillan caused no end of problems with his overlapping runs. 

Like everyone I was sitting at half time thinking the writing is on the wall, we are gonna lose this but at no stage did that even threaten to happen, heart in mouth at the end when they had the one and only shot at goal though. 

We recorded the podcast after this and I said on it I felt this was as accomplished a performance as I’ve seen from us ever, we looked every part a Premiership club today. 

Only downside, I believe Bartley is now suspended after getting booked for that sublime tackle, on Beaton he had a relatively quiet game up until then, then all of a sudden wanted to make it about him, near the end when he stopped play and Dykes was in on goal was unbelievable, thankfully we got the win anyway. 

This run of form is unreal, Ross County, Inverness and St Mirren coming up next, can we continue the run? 

17 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Have to say as well Bartley had the entire midfield on toast all game. Dominant. Got booked for a perfect tackle as well, ref was itching to book Livi players

Bartley was great

Robinson panic move of going to a back 5 haas never paid off.

We are getting beat in midfield so add an extra centre mid and play a tight 4 like we did up at Aberdeen rather than just sticking with the same midfield 3 and shrugging. Messing about with the back line isn't a fix.

What did adding Mugabe to the back line actually do to change the game? We did the same against Accies and it also failed to change the game.

Back 5 is fine if it is the last 10 and we are shoring up but it is chronic if we have any ambition to get a goal or even hold possession.

Fantastic performance, as one sided as you’re likely to see in any league game this season.
What pleased me the most is we played some brilliant stuff to go with it, we got in behind Motherwell nearly every time we got forward, McMillan caused no end of problems with his overlapping runs. 
Like everyone I was sitting at half time thinking the writing is on the wall, we are gonna lose this but at no stage did that even threaten to happen, heart in mouth at the end when they had the one and only shot at goal though. 
We recorded the podcast after this and I said on it I felt this was as accomplished a performance as I’ve seen from us ever, we looked every part a Premiership club today. 
Only downside, I believe Bartley is now suspended after getting booked for that sublime tackle, on Beaton he had a relatively quiet game up until then, then all of a sudden wanted to make it about him, near the end when he stopped play and Dykes was in on goal was unbelievable, thankfully we got the win anyway. 
This run of form is unreal, Ross County, Inverness and St Mirren coming up next, can we continue the run? 
Surely we can appeal Bartley's yellow like we did with lawless last season.

24 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Have to say as well Bartley had the entire midfield on toast all game. Dominant. Got booked for a perfect tackle as well, ref was itching to book Livi players

Bartley continues to amaze me like. Never looked quite at home at Hibs in the top flight outside of the derby shitfests, but is now, presumably, just about first on the teamsheet for Livi battering midfields up and down the country. 

32 minutes ago, KingKachloul said:

How good was that from Livi? Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish, should have been 3 or 4. Gillespie was unbelievable - hopefully he stays on at Motherwell but think he will away at the end of the season. 

Well, you just have to look at the stats to see how the game went. 

Screenshot_20200201-200537_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9742ee1d3ab41ca481f141b740c537f5.jpg

That only shot was the one at 90+1 minutes and hit the post. Also mark is definitely leaving at the end of the season. His contract ends in the summer and we have already extended Trevor Carsons who will be the main keeper going forward. So he will be a free agent for anyone interested.

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Bartley continues to amaze me like. Never looked quite at home at Hibs in the top flight outside of the derby shitfests, but is now, presumably, just about first on the teamsheet for Livi battering midfields up and down the country. 

Who knows what Holt and Martindale saw I'm him but absolutely inspired signing. Love it when you have a player in the team that just knows how to play the game - knows when to win the foul and knows when to go through someone.