Livi v Motherwell

All the makings of a good game this one, two in form sides. 

Livi last lost a home game way back in November against Rangers, won our last 5 in league and cup and are 6 unbeaten on the lush plastic stuff. 

Motherwell also haven’t lost away from home since November, having won the last 5 away games in the league and cup only conceding 1 in that time, correct me if I’m wrong? 

Draw then? Seriously would both teams accept a point in this one to keep both runs going? 

Selection headache ahead for us? No idea what’s going on with Lawson but if he’s fit does he come back in? Who drops out Aaron Taylor-Sinclair despite him scoring? 
I’d be stunned if Souda started this after spitting the dummy at the weekend, Robinson in to replace him, lots of good problems to have. 

Two teams doing incredible stuff this season, long may it continue. 

Tbh i'd still play Souda, bad patter going off like that but hopefully GH had a word with him on Monday and has it sorted out. the mid 3 with him, Lawless and Pittman have been outstanding, with Sibbs playing alongside Marv too, really wouldn't break that up if we an help it. Robbo was fantastic against St Johnstone too right enough so we'll still be pretty good if he does get dropped to teach him a lesson.

Dykes and Pittman are forming a good understanding as well, it's all looking rather good for us just now.

Yeah the back line is getting a headache now (in a good way), with Devlin and Lithgow on the brink of a return, and Lawson playing so well at RB, if he was just out against Accies as a precaution after a knock midweek against St Johnstone. Plus ATS returning and doing well. Think we have to stick with players signed in their natural positions when everyone is fit though, so Devlin and ATS as FB's.

Dunno what we'll do with Lamie, Lithgow, Brown & Guthrie, Guthrie def has to start, looks like Brown is preferred over Lamie though, dunno where that leaves Lithgow, if he'll get back in and Brown gets dropped. Oh and does McCrorie keep his place after a couple of blunders on Sat, or will Schofield come back in when fit.

Anyway, good problem for us to have,  keeps everyone on their toes fighting for a place.

On the game, would've fancied Motherwell if it had been away, but our home form is one of the best in the league, so we're def capable of getting all 3 points here, really looking forward to it.

Tough one for us. 

Livingston are on decent form just now and having that awful pitch is a massive advantage to them. We've struggled there on our last two visits and were fortunate to draw 0-0 there on the opening day of the season. Hopefully Long is back as he is our main/only goal threat.

I think we'll lose regardless, 3-2 home win.

I think a lot depends on how we approach this. You could quite easily make an argument that on current form and with Livi's home record, this is actually the hardest game so far in our run against other Top 6 teams and I think we need to treat Livi with the respect they deserve. We've had no joy at all playing our "normal" game at Livingston and I think it would be a mistake to try.

I would have absolutely no qualms about us picking the team and formation that we did at Pittodrie and ask Livi to try and break us down as we are defending well at the moment - a point would be acceptable to us and you'd think the onus would be on them to try and attack us. 

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think a lot depends on how we approach this. You could quite easily make an argument that on current form and with Livi's home record, this is actually the hardest game so far in our run against other Top 6 teams and I think we need to treat Livi with the respect they deserve. We've had no joy at all playing our "normal" game at Livingston and I think it would be a mistake to try.

I would have absolutely no qualms about us picking the team and formation that we did at Pittodrie and ask Livi to try and break us down as we are defending well at the moment - a point would be acceptable to us and you'd think the onus would be on them to try and attack us. 

That would be interesting, Raith did that and we struggled for 77 mins against them. If you concede though your game plan is fucked.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

4 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Do you still have the guy with the long throw-ins? Even if we elect to sit in, I can see us conceding from one of those. Better to take the game up the park.

We’ve signed a new player who can throw the ball even further, most of the goals that come from these are from us picking up the 2nd balls, Sibbald on Saturday was a prime example. 

55 minutes ago, Swello said:

There is little chance Robinson won’t treat Livi with respect. We generally struggle on that pitch when they are not sitting 5th and on a wining streak. The good news is we seem to have mastered how to shitfest our way to narrow wins. Our goalie, defence and midfield are a match for anyone outside the Old Firm as seen by so many clean sheets. 

I hope Long is back for this one. 

I am normally quite bullish but fear a narrow loss. Would settle for a draw. But a shitty performance and 3 points would be even more welcome. Especially as Livi are starting to pose as much as a threat to a European place as Hibe are / were. 

Both games so far this season have been competitive. I feel we should’ve got something at Fir Park but Sarkic’s howler and the ball dropping nicely for Campbell saw to that while Lawson should’ve scored for us in that second half.

Anyway, looking to Saturday, we’re in about as good a place as we can be. I’m not totally convinced that we’ve got the centre back to partner Guthrie figured out but Motherwell don’t really seem to be the high scoring type so we might get away with it. Gallagher has continued where he left off with of us so I think we might struggle for chances there too (it’s sure to be a great battle with Dykes). Also, I think Souda often prefers to play in front of the defenders so a team sitting in suits his game more than Robinson who is about buzzing around and might be what we need to unsettle Dec. Long seems to be a great striker of the ball so hopefully he misses out :o genuinely, how is Turnbull doing?

3-3 draw.

Edited by crispy

10 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

We’ve signed a new player who can throw the ball even further, most of the goals that come from these are from us picking up the 2nd balls, Sibbald on Saturday was a prime example. 

That was a cracking finish, really enjoyed it.

Two teams in form, us without any strikers but playing well, Livi's attacking play looking good but a bit up and down defensively, stick on 0-0, with a lot of bleating from both sets of fans regarding the pitch. 

That said, we haven't won in Livingston on league duty since 2006, which obviously sounds more mental than it is (we've only been there twice), but still.

10 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I wouldn't have said we are the high scoring type either but I also wouldn't have said Livingston are. Turns out you are 3rd top scorers in the division on 35 with us one behind on 34.

So, goalless draw then?

Yea, I don't think there will be more than a goal in it. Our defence (including 'keeper) isn't settled so I'm a little concerned we won't keep a clean sheet. I'm delighted with where we are at and a point against a team a good bit ahead of us has to be a great result; no pressure on this though as we are still trying to avoid relegation ;) - aren't we all? 

I'm as cautious a Motherwell supporter as you'll get but even I have accepted we're safe from relegation this season! I'd even go as far as saying we've got top six pretty much secured and a win on Saturday would go a long way to securing top 4. A win for Livi on the other hand would put them in a very strong position for top six but I'd say you are already safe from relegation.

That was a cracking finish, really enjoyed it.
Two teams in form, us without any strikers but playing well, Livi's attacking play looking good but a bit up and down defensively, stick on 0-0, with a lot of bleating from both sets of fans regarding the pitch. 
That said, we haven't won in Livingston on league duty since 2006, which obviously sounds more mental than it is (we've only been there twice), but still.
Don't think you'll hear any bleating about the pitch from those of a Livi persuasion.