QP v Cowdenbeath

Yesterday was the first time it really hit me that we are entering a new era with so many of the new players starting.

To use the cliche it pretty much was a game of two halves. I was very impressed with how we started, the team felt stronger and faster and I was happy that we were playing further up the pitch.

Great to see Jamieson back and I think he and Grant will make an excellent partnership at this level (and even at league 1 level too). Was impressed with Doig too, especially going forward and sending in a few great crosses. With his height and stength, he hopefully will be harder to beat than Summers (wish him all the best for his future in Holland). I still feel we need a right back but believe Finnie is better than Mortimer in that role.

Thought Davidson and Morrison were very strong and liked how they closed the opposition down and did not give them time or space with the ball. Feel that this was a reason that Cowdenbeath never really caused us any problems in the first half. Slater is class , took his goal really well, no doubt he was going to score. Hope he recovers really quickly as he is exactly what we need, a player comfortable on the ball with good vision and can spray the ball about. Remember also how hard he worked and that is how he got injured, chasing back to make a tackle.

MacLean again put in a few great crosses and with genuine speed will always cause the opposition defences trouble. Galt worked his socks off which was great to see, especially him closing down the Cowdenbeath keeper in the last few minutes of the game. Feel Salim did not have his best game, and definitely should have scored with the close in chance in the second half.

In the second half Cowdenbeath improved and I believe we missed Slater although Purdue did well. Felt as the game went on Morrison and Davidson got tired and this with Codenbeath pushing forward they caused us some problems.

Which leads to my MoM Willie Muir who made two brilliant saves in the second half, especially the one at the end when he had to get across his line to make the save. He should be signed up for next year now. With the extra height in the team, I would just advise him to stay on his line rather than feeling the need to come out for crosses. Let the defence deal with it.

Also things will improve as the players continue to get used to each other.

Finally (if you are still reading) glad to hear Lidouren was injured as I heard he had moved on. Glad to hear my information was incorrect.

9 minutes ago, PeterParker said:

Yesterday was the first time it really hit me that we are entering a new era with so many of the new players starting.

To use the cliche it pretty much was a game of two halves. I was very impressed with how we started, the team felt stronger and faster and I was happy that we were playing further up the pitch.

Great to see Jamieson back and I think he and Grant will make an excellent partnership at this level (and even at league 1 level too). Was impressed with Doig too, especially going forward and sending in a few great crosses. With his height and stength, he hopefully will be harder to beat than Summers (wish him all the best for his future in Holland). I still feel we need a right back but believe Finnie is better than Mortimer in that role.

Thought Davidson and Morrison were very strong and liked how they closed the opposition down and did not give them time or space with the ball. Feel that this was a reason that Cowdenbeath never really caused us any problems in the first half. Slater is class , took his goal really well, no doubt he was going to score. Hope he recovers really quickly as he is exactly what we need, a player comfortable on the ball with good vision and can spray the ball about. Remember also how hard he worked and that is how he got injured, chasing back to make a tackle.

MacLean again put in a few great crosses and with genuine speed will always cause the opposition defences trouble. Galt worked his socks off which was great to see, especially him closing down the Cowdenbeath keeper in the last few minutes of the game. Feel Salim did not have his best game, and definitely should have scored with the close in chance in the second half.

In the second half Cowdenbeath improved and I believe we missed Slater although Purdue did well. Felt as the game went on Morrison and Davidson got tired and this with Codenbeath pushing forward they caused us some problems.

Which leads to my MoM Willie Muir who made two brilliant saves in the second half, especially the one at the end when he had to get across his line to make the save. He should be signed up for next year now. With the extra height in the team, I would just advise him to stay on his line rather than feeling the need to come out for crosses. Let the defence deal with it.

Also things will improve as the players continue to get used to each other.

Finally (if you are still reading) glad to hear Lidouren was injured as I heard he had moved on. Glad to hear my information was incorrect.

Not sure about the hero worship of Muir

he nearly threw one in the net first half then punched the ball to our player who hit the post.

some decent saves but pretty standard imo.

The goal showed that bit of quality that some of these new players will bring. Slater held his place in the space while everyone else watched the ball and a perfectly struck pass into the net rounded it. Top drawer. Great assist from Galt too.

It’s a genuine question; can any QP fan tell me what it is that Ryan Finnie has that Mortimer or Summers doesn’t? His positioning and awareness of what’s around him is awful and his tackle wins are 50/50 at best. Poor ball delivery yesterday too. Looks the part but not really making much difference.

he nearly threw one in the net first half then punched the ball to our player who hit the post.

He’s a class shot stopper. Made 3 excellent saves yesterday. For that, I’m very grateful. But you’re right to a degree, he doesn’t handle cross balls very well. He doesn’t command his 6 yard box either imo.

41 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The goal showed that bit of quality that some of these new players will bring. Slater held his place in the space while everyone else watched the ball and a perfectly struck pass into the net rounded it. Top drawer. Great assist from Galt too.

It’s a genuine question; can any QP fan tell me what it is that Ryan Finnie has that Mortimer or Summers doesn’t? His positioning and awareness of what’s around him is awful and his tackle wins are 50/50 at best. Poor ball delivery yesterday too. Looks the part but not really making much difference.

Completely agree with you about Finnie. Not convinced with him at right back, however he looks a lot more comfortable playing in the centre of midfield. Was terrific against Edinburgh in that position before being put to centre half because of an injury to Jamieson

Edited by qpfc

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

If it hadn't been for ridiculous late on saves from Muir Queen's would have taken 2 points from the last three league games rather than 7.  Can put up with the occasional flap for that. 

Oddly enough, when the boy Rae you've got just now played a couple of games as a triallist for us earlier in the season I thought one of his strengths was cross balls but he seemed to struggle a bit too yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

If it hadn't been for ridiculous late on saves from Muir Queen's would have taken 2 points from the last three league games rather than 7.  Can put up with the occasional flap for that. 

Oddly enough, when the boy Rae you've got just now played a couple of games as a triallist for us earlier in the season I thought one of his strengths was cross balls but he seemed to struggle a bit too yesterday. 

Only his third game for us so jury still out. He had a couple of moments but seems a decent shot stopper too

I agree with you muzza81, long balls up to wee Jordan Allan & hardly the biggest Coxy, surely the manager sees that plan wasn't going to work yesterday, when you see the size of that big defender Queens Park defender had, I thought Archie Thomas looked off the pace too, Miller works hard but whats he offering that the new signing Morrison can't? Herd looked like he wanted to make things happen and should have scored too, first half was hell in my opinion, most of it our undoing, we should have got goal in end but lets be honest, that first half we were well 2nd best, sitting off them & players not working hard enough for us, Couldn't believe my eyes when Valentine got on , over Swann or Pyper,  he was played in on wing & slipped ball right back up the pitch to Queens Park Player, some of the space he was giving them positional wise, was scary too, hes nowhere near good enough the boy, don't think we are in position right now to have go bout teams goalkeepers, our boy punching instead of catching easily, even dropping the ball in his own box & almost gifting them a goal, we can take heart from the 2nd half or last 30 minutes but the gameplan wasn't their yesterday or creativity, we didn't do enough to get points, both sides were wasteful with the ball

I don't think it was the players at fault. It was Bollan with the poor tactics. We sit way too deep and we keep playing this way. Miller and Morrison looked like they were in defence most of the time and Buchanan looked like he was our right back. Thomas was basically on his own in the centre of the park chasing shadows. All too often we look second best when it comes to passing the ball around and then we just lump it aimlessly into the box. What's the solution? Change the way we are playing? No, bring on Herd and Renton! Later on the ball was fired across the QP six yard box, which was crying out for a player like Allan to knock home, but he was already off. Where was Renton? Still standing outside the box watching instead of being in where a striker should be.

QP were poor, other than a brief spell at the start, but fortunately for them, we were awful. Not sure why they thought they were that good. More than likely though, they will be building towards a title push next season.

Aye Renton is rotten but the defenders were coping with Jordan Allan easily and when he come on, it seemed to create more space for us up there, not that I'm saying he did much, he still struggles to hold the ball up, your right about Archie Thomas tho, he was well isolated in there & chasing shadows, I don't think hes fully fit for 90 minutes yet, he was very good other week but plays in snatches at times, Morrison & Miller are the same type of player but Morrison looks better passer of the ball, need some more creativity in the team and the long ball does not work with Allan & Coxy up there, Coxy seemed very frustrated at the weekend with Jordan and was getting onto him, don't think their linking up well just now or just frustrated with the lack of service

Edited by SuperCowden

We looked more dangerous when Renton came on as we had someone to actually compete for the one of our many long balls. Just strange that Cox went out wide so Renton was isolated. No doubt he gave the QP defenders the hardest time out of our 3 strikers. 

On 02/02/2020 at 09:53, Aberdeen Cowden said:

How did we not win that? 

You definitely should have taken at least one of your chances but tbf we also missed two sitters at the start of the second half.

Not sure why Nicky didn't just put his laces through it rather than look for the pass , he brought it down perfectly as well.  Galt certainly not happy he didn't shoot (going by the highlights)  

Bold move by Raymondo to fire all 6 new signings into the team. He is certainly isn't fucking around and good to see, although is Morrison not a defender?   

Glad to hear Joffrey is still with us ( rumour in the club after was he was off to Stranraer) We'll certainly need him if Slater is going to be out for a few games.