Perth’s finest vs The capital’s rejuvenated Gegenpressmeisters

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Indeed, though nobody really pays attention to the ramblings of people on club forums where in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Anyway I thought I'd post your team from back then as I'm sure a few of the older posters will remember some of those guys.

I'm more interested in the attendance 😔

Indeed, though nobody really pays attention to the ramblings of people on club forums where in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
Anyway I thought I'd post your team from back then as I'm sure a few of the older posters will remember some of those guys.

For the most part they were a good side. The largest majority of that squad were in the First Division with us, or came from First Division sides/were Premier Division reserves when we were promoted. What they achieved, relatively speaking, is probably far more impressive than what any other promoted side have since all things considered.

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Tommy Turner went in goal and produced a brilliant outfielder-in-goal display. 

Our heaviest non-OF defeat at McDiarmid Park. Hearts haven't recorded a bigger win away from home since that day either. 

Think we did manage 5 outside Edinburgh once though.

2 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

For the most part they were a good side. The largest majority of that squad were in the First Division with us, or came from First Division sides/were Premier Division reserves when we were promoted. What they achieved, relatively speaking, is probably far more impressive than what any other promoted side have since all things considered.

I don't think that was the team that we came up with though was it?  Wasn't that Hearts match played in our second season back up, so the personnel had changed a bit by then?

As far as I remember it, so this won't be 100% accuracy..

Part of team that came up: Hamilton, Deas, Cherry, Maskrey, Moore, Harry Curran either signed at the start of the promotion season or in the summer before our first season back up.

Signed after promotion: John Inglis £115,000 from Meadowbank, Tommy Turner signed for £100,000 from Morton, Gary McGinnis signed for £100,000 from Dundee United, John Davis signed for £165,000 from Clydebank. Not sure how much we paid for Ian Redford or Vinny Arkins, but I remember the newspaper chat that Celtic were also after Arkins!

Agree with your point though, the way the team played in our first season back up was brilliant, in a very competitive 10 team premier league.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Signed after promotion: John Inglis £115,000 from Meadowbank, Tommy Turner signed for £100,000 from Morton, Gary McGinnis signed for £100,000 from Dundee United, John Davis signed for £165,000 from Clydebank. Not sure how much we paid for Ian Redford or Vinny Arkins, but I remember the newspaper chat that Celtic were also after Arkins!

MGinnis signed before promotion. Geoff Brown told Totten that Saints could either go full time or sign McGinnis. No surprise which option Alex took.

The story about Celtic being after Arkins was probably down to Totten too. I remember the story filling the back page of the Daily Record quoting him saying that Celtic could have him for a million.

Great info cheers @Radford See for example 1989/90, does that mean the players joined us at the end of the season?  I can't remember Curran or  especially Gary McGinnis playing for us during our promotion winning season. I would have put my mortgage on it with McGinnis I was so confident!

Was completely wrong about a couple such as Lindsay Hamilton, who I've mixed up with Balavage.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

MGinnis signed before promotion. Geoff Brown told Totten that Saints could either go full time or sign McGinnis. No surprise which option Alex took.

The story about Celtic being after Arkins was probably down to Totten too. I remember the story filling the back page of the Daily Record quoting him saying that Celtic could have him for a million.

I was typing as you posted!

There you go, that me just gambled the house and lost!!

But cool as a cucumber was our right back, were they in competition for the position that season?

If you take 1989/90, it covers the pre-season then any signings during the season up to the old transfer window in March, or whenever it was.

Curran signed in that pre-season, he played throughout the promotion campaign. He really came into his own after promotion though and was our top scorer in the first season back up. 

McGinnis must've signed about this time of year, not long after Hegarty. Was he not primarily a centre back but a bit of a jack of all trades? In my young mind his arrival pushed the likes of Kenny Thomson, Doug Barron, Alan McKillop and even Sammy Johnston towards the exit door. 

The next season, Davies, Sweeney and MacDonald signed in a short space of time, £300,000 spent just like that. 

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

The next season, Davies, Sweeney and MacDonald signed in a short space of time, £300,000 spent just like that. 

£650k in todays money.

Imagine Saints doing that now?

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

£650k in todays money.

Imagine Saints doing that now?

You have to keep it in the context of the era though. Pre-bosman transfer fees were the norm. We would have received significantly more fees than we do now, hence we spent more. Would be interesting to see the reciprocal figures that @Radford produced for player sales. 

I think that's a big part of the reason that Totten was sacked, we weren't really recouping anything. 

We did eventually start getting money back (and a profit) on some of his players (Inglis, McGowne, Wright) but he was just spending, spending, spending with no financial return. 

When the form started to dip, a ruthlessly ambitious Geoff Brown axed him. 

Harry Curran scored first goal at McDiarmid did he not against Clydebank? Possibly first Saints goal as they maybe went one nil up in that game. Jim Gallacher in goals for them. Sure sign of old age when you’ve now watched his son retire from football!

Sat 28 Dec 1991 15:00
St Johnstone 0 Hearts 5
Premier 26 of 44
McDiarmid Park Perth Scotland
Ref: Ray Morrison
Hamilton was sent off in the 21st minute with Hearts leading one nil.    Hearts were top of the table two points clear of Rangers and nine clear of Celtic. St Johnstone were sitting in 9th.    Goalscorers Baird, Robbo 2 Crabbe 2

Team
1    Lindsay Hamilton    SCO    29y 04m 17d                                    
2    Gary McGinnis        28y 02m 07d                                    
3    Paul Andrew Deas    SCO    19y 10m 06d                                      
4    Paul Cherry    ENG    27y 02m 14d                                 
5    John Inglis    SCO    25y 02m 12d                            
6    Ian Petrie Redford        31y 08m 23d                                     
7    Allan Moore    SCO    27y 00m 03d                            
8    Thomas Gibson Turner    SCO    28y 02m 17d                            
9    Stephen Maskrey        29y 04m 12d                            
10    Vincent Thomas Arkins        21y 03m 10d                             
11    Henry Curran        25y 02m 19d                        
26.60     –––––– Substitutes ––––––
S05    Liam Dunne        20y 03m 27d                            
S07    John Davies    SCO    25y 03m 03d                           
All info from London Hearts website
Ah, the great Vincent Thomas Arkins [emoji22]

Random hates the older fans mate.

You have to keep it in the context of the era though. Pre-bosman transfer fees were the norm. We would have received significantly more fees than we do now, hence we spent more. Would be interesting to see the reciprocal figures that [mention=6873]Radford[/mention] produced for player sales. 

Only we didn't receive a lot in the way of fees compared to what we spent. I remember Geoff saying that was one of the reasons for sacking Totten. A lack of youngsters coming through and consequent transfer fees. If@Radford has a similar transfers out table for the same period it would illustrate this.

Harry Curran scored first goal at McDiarmid did he not against Clydebank? Possibly first Saints goal as they maybe went one nil up in that game. Jim Gallacher in goals for them. Sure sign of old age when you’ve now watched his son retire from football!
Correct, bankies scored first.