Perth’s finest vs The capital’s rejuvenated Gegenpressmeisters

Same team as Jamie B but Liam Craig in for Butcher as let him find his feet with an appearance from the bench. Memories of Goss are still too fresh.  Thought Craig provided great protection for the defence after HT on Wednesday night, and plays the sitting midfield role with a lot of discipline. And that'll be the area Naismith likes to drop into to get on the ball.

It also frees up McCann and Wotherspoon to dominate the ball a bit more as it takes up a bit of their defensive responsibilities.

Pereira

Clare Souttar Halkett Hickey

Sibbick Irving

Avdijaj   Naismith Meshino

Boyce

Subs: Zlamal Dikamona Langer Walker Washington Uche Henderson

Garuccio in for Hickey if he's toiling.  St Johnstone will fancy this, especially after the amount of times they got in behind at Tynecastle but we are much better now Stendel has had time to work on shape and get his ideas across. They will definitely get chances though as it's a risk and reward kind of strategy, but so will we create far more than we have in recent games gainst them.  The big difference from the last time is Souttar in for Berra and Clare at RB means we have a bit pace and can recover balls in behind better.

Picking a bench was hard as we have some genuine depth now and leaving guys like Bozanic and Moore out after recent games feels harsh but you can't pick everyone.

44 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Pereira

Sibbick Irving

Boyce

Garuccio in for Hickey if he's toiling.  St Johnstone will fancy this, especially after the amount of times they got in behind at Tynecastle but we are much better now Stendel has had time to work on shape and get his ideas across. They will definitely get chances though as it's a risk and reward kind of strategy, but so will we create far more than we have in recent games gainst them.  The big difference from the last time is Souttar in for Berra and Clare at RB means we have a bit pace and can recover balls in behind better.

Picking a bench was hard as we have some genuine depth now and leaving guys like Bozanic and Moore out after recent games feels harsh but you can't pick everyone.

Is he going to start Meshino? He doesn't seem to like him much, has he started him in a game yet? I'd be happy with that as I think Booth can probably deal with him, although I appreciate that's teeing up seeing him getting a roasting. 

The new boy Sibbick and Andy Irving will cause us problems, as will Naismith and Boyce of course. 

Clark

Kerr Gordon Booth

Ralston  McCann Craig Wotherspoon Tanser

MOH Hendry

Hearts will obviously press hard and hopefully tire out, so let Hendry harass Souttar then bring on May when he's knackered. I think that with less pace and more guile but still plenty of running, May is actually a decent option for an impact sub. Want to see more of those lay-offs to Tanser and circling back into the box.

Our left seems weak and Gordon will have a rough game in the middle, but to be fair despite the goals and the score I thought he did very well on Wednesday night. Would like to see out CBs try to bully Naismith and Boyce a bit. Expect we'll get the first look at Langer before long.

Main concern is the strengthening of the Hearts team since the last game and the fact we've not had much time to recover since Celtic, but hope that with MOH we have the pace to get in behind and Hendry has a good engine and should have a lift from the new contract. But overall we don't have a great deal of pace in our team, which is something Hearts seem to have sorted since the Tynecastle match. On paper Hearts look the stronger team by a margin, but we've been very decent for the last 8 or so games. 

Think this could be 2-2, McCann and Hendry for Saints. 

Expect this will be a cracking game, absolutely up for it. Used to be a game I dreaded but not this time. Two great weekends for Saints tbh. 

On 30/01/2020 at 09:59, Dons_1988 said:

Uh oh, he went down the 'Aberdeen don't have a geographical rival' route. No comeback to that one for me. It's nice that you feel the thing that elevates you as a Hearts fan is...Hibs.

Anyway, the point still stands. Hibs travel much better.

Cuter. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Is he going to start Meshino? He doesn't seem to like him much, has he started him in a game yet? I'd be happy with that as I think Booth can probably deal with him, although I appreciate that's teeing up seeing him getting a roasting. 

The new boy Sibbick and Andy Irving will cause us problems, as will Naismith and Boyce of course. 

Clark

Kerr Gordon Booth

Ralston  McCann Craig Wotherspoon Tanser

MOH Hendry

Hearts will obviously press hard and hopefully tire out, so let Hendry harass Souttar then bring on May when he's knackered. I think that with less pace and more guile but still plenty of running, May is actually a decent option for an impact sub. Want to see more of those lay-offs to Tanser and circling back into the box.

Our left seems weak and Gordon will have a rough game in the middle, but to be fair despite the goals and the score I thought he did very well on Wednesday night. Would like to see out CBs try to bully Naismith and Boyce a bit. Expect we'll get the first look at Langer before long.

Main concern is the strengthening of the Hearts team since the last game and the fact we've not had much time to recover since Celtic, but hope that with MOH we have the pace to get in behind and Hendry has a good engine and should have a lift from the new contract. But overall we don't have a great deal of pace in our team, which is something Hearts seem to have sorted since the Tynecastle match. On paper Hearts look the stronger team by a margin, but we've been very decent for the last 8 or so games. 

Think this could be 2-2, McCann and Hendry for Saints. 

Expect this will be a cracking game, absolutely up for it. Used to be a game I dreaded but not this time. Two great weekends for Saints tbh. 

Yes he started against Aberdeen before the break and scored a beauty.  He was at some Asian games tournament with Japan in January and only got back a day before the cup game so was rested.  Had a slight knock against County and was on the bench last week.  I think he could we'll come back in today.  His main attribute is he is always looking to get a shot off, he's a real danger if we get him the ball.

As for us tiring I think that's something we've worked on over the break.  We scored 4 in the second half against Airdrie, finished the game against County much stronger and scored a late winner last week. 

I'd be starting McCart, Booth hasnt convinced me as a CB really. Passable but shouldn't be certain starter.

No idea who youd play at wing back out of Booth or Tanser though, different strengths and weaknesses.

Depending on how this Butcher lad is in terms of fitness, youd maybe chuck him straight in, not sure Wotherspoon can go three starts in a row in the role hes playing. Weary about Craig starting, as hes struggled this season when asked to do anything more than just camp in front of the defence, and we need more than that from midfielders today.

Up front who knows. Hendry the only one who poses any goal threat. Manager seems reluctant to use him and May together but they seem our best two. Other two have their one dimensional uses.

Pereira
              Sibbick Irving
                       Boyce

Henderson dropped to the bench and Moore from the squad all together? Can’t see it (unless injuries) and I hope not, especially Henderson. Not sure if White is available at left back, probably come back in if so? Interested to see in Langer is in the squad as well.

I'd be starting McCart, Booth hasnt convinced me as a CB really. Passable but shouldn't be certain starter.
No idea who youd play at wing back out of Booth or Tanser though, different strengths and weaknesses.
Depending on how this Butcher lad is in terms of fitness, youd maybe chuck him straight in, not sure Wotherspoon can go three starts in a row in the role hes playing. Weary about Craig starting, as hes struggled this season when asked to do anything more than just camp in front of the defence, and we need more than that from midfielders today.
Up front who knows. Hendry the only one who poses any goal threat. Manager seems reluctant to use him and May together but they seem our best two. Other two have their one dimensional uses.

I agree about McCart and I would play Booth. Tanser’s inability to get out to close down cost us dearly on Wednesday.

17 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Henderson dropped to the bench and Moore from the squad all together? Can’t see it (unless injuries) and I hope not, especially Henderson. Not sure if White is available at left back, probably come back in if so? Interested to see in Langer is in the squad as well.

Just thinking Henderson and Moore were used for energy against Rangers and we will look to do more with the ball today.  Also it's a lot of games in a short period and the pitch looked heavy on Wednesday so think he might freshen it up.  Moore will likely be on the bench minimum tbf.

White maybe as he done well enough first half, just not sure if he's recovered. Garuccio done ok at County so assume he dropped out through injury before.

Just thinking Henderson and Moore were used for energy against Rangers and we will look to do more with the ball today.  Also it's a lot of games in a short period and the pitch looked heavy on Wednesday so think he might freshen it up.  Moore will likely be on the bench minimum tbf.
White maybe as he done well enough first half, just not sure if he's recovered. Garuccio done ok at County so assume he dropped out through injury before.

Fair. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same starting XI and we try to keep the energy we had against Rangers. I’d be disappointed to see Henderson drop out.
Aye, Garuccio and White much of a muchness tbh.