Scottish Accents/ Dialects

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I was getting dogs abuse last year during a visit home because my accent has softened a lot in the time I have been away. Usually takes a couple of pints to get back to normal. Then I come back here and get dogs abuse off the folk in the office because I am speaking too fast for  them to understand me.

I get that quite a lot, feels like all of Ayrshire is staring at me because I'm not saying seeven and eleeven.

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Back when we used to to play Berwick, I found it rather surreal that we'd be in a pub whereby the locals sounded like they were from Lothian, yet there were St Georges flags all over the place.  Weird, ken.

Won't be long till you see them again.

I made a conscious effort to rid myself of my Ayrshire accent when i moved to Amsterdam, it was getting embarrassing being asked by someone speaking English as a second language what the f**k i was talking about.
I've toned it down considerably, thankfully.
Why? Tell the English c**t to speak properly

I've lived in so many places, I struggle to understand my own thoughts. 
Born in weegieland, moved to Oz when I was 6, back to Scotland east coast when I was 10, #Perthshire 14. Birmingham 19 and then kept moving. (coming back now and again to see Forfar get beat)

Was there not a wee stint inside somewhere along the road...

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Went out with a girl from Coleraine years ago. Quite polite and middle class. When we met I actually thought she was from the North West of Scotland. Her accent was a strange one.

So she didn't talk about leaving the "pipper" on the "tible" and stick "but" at the end of every other sentence?

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

My favourite thing about the word 'ken' is that it disappears by the time you get to Perth, you never hear it anywhere in the Highlands or North East... until you get to Shetland where it makes an amazing comeback.

Dinna really ken aboot Perth or the Highlands , but it’s commonly used in the north-east

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

So she didn't talk about leaving the "pipper" on the "tible" and stick "but" at the end of every other sentence?

She told me to stick something somewhere but it probably doesn’t need repeating before the watershed.

Being from Stirling I often get asked, when in Glasgow or at Celtic matches if im from Edinburgh, while not out and out Begbie fae Trainspotting likes our accent is certainly more East than West coast with a sprinkling of 'likes' and 'ken' in sentences  something I'm prone to doing on occasion. 

Living in Alloa as I have done for coming up five years now, just six miles along the road from Stirling I have noticed people here have more than a hint of the Fife drawl about their accent, starting sentences quite high and slowly dropping in tone before ending them sounding like they are asking a question, something my brother does a lot having lived in the Rosyth/Dunfermline area for about 25 years now.

2 hours ago, A96 said:

Dinna really ken aboot Perth or the Highlands , but it’s commonly used in the north-east

I'm one of these c***s that say 'ken' after every sentence. I have tried to curb it over the years but it's just second nature ken?