Scottish Accents/ Dialects

45 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I'll tell you one thing for certain, the Vikings definitely didn't bring across "messages".

Aye they did, a box of Daz, 8 Richmond sasijis and a white loaf.

All whilst wearing their 'Furry Boots'.

Guest TheJTS98
31 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Norway definitely provides a feel for what an independent Scotland could have been like in an alternate timeline:

04cf6d0c5b38a36ada3adec38b7db05bb6632639

Same word in Malaysia.

image.jpeg.94ebf778ae962f2bebdc866f614525c5.jpeg

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

being a shameless code switcher.

Delighted to see this.

Code switching is arguably the most interesting thing about linguistics. Everybody does it all the time, but most people never even notice.

Tremendous.

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

What kind of thing are you interested in? There's loads of good linguistics stuff out there.

Specifically the development of Scots grammar and words as opposed to dialectical English.

I have a knowledge of the history and how through the establishment of Royal Burghs  it was Northumbrian English augmented by Flemish and Norman French which produced Middle Scots but I'm not so up on the linguistic evidence 

Guest TheJTS98
10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Specifically the development of Scots grammar and words as opposed to dialectical English.

I have a knowledge of the history and how through the establishment of Royal Burghs  it was Northumbrian English augmented by Flemish and Norman French which produced Middle Scots but I'm not so up on the linguistic evidence 

Not sure if this is of any use to you. I hope so. You may have seen it all before. More about current issues, but still interesting.

The general area of Scots' is under-researched. I've applied for grants myself and been turned down.

https://www.scotslanguage.com/Education/Research/Scots_language_research_papers

The Northumbrian Renaissance is one of my favourite historical topics. I think the general mix of language we have in Scotland is something that should be interrogated more at school. We just have this acceptance in Scotland that we speak 'English', which isn't really accurate at all.

It gives the impression of a bland culture, when Scotland actually has a fascinating, and as yet unsettled, linguistic history. Getting finance to study this properly is a fucking nightmare.

A good source for this (to an extent) is the History of English podcast for an accessible freetime listen.

Edited by TheJTS98

We just have this acceptance in Scotland that we speak 'English', which isn't really accurate at all.
It gives the impression of a bland culture, when Scotland actually has a fascinating, and as yet unsettled, linguistic history.

That's a great point. The regions of Italy, for example, are very conscious of their dialects, children are made aware of them in school and none of this contributes to any breakdown of greater national consciousness or deterioration of literacy in standard Italian.

I do get a feeling that awareness of Scots as a legitimate dialect has increased since I was young but that's purely anecdotal.

3 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I'll tell you one thing for certain, the Vikings definitely didn't bring across "messages". 

Also wtf is a guffy? 

Well, they didn't come all that way with nothing in their long boats.

59 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Well, they didn't come all that way with nothing in their long boats.

"Aw bjorn deary I know we've just navigated the seas in the long boats but I've forgot my messages so I huv"

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

That's a great point. The regions of Italy, for example, are very conscious of their dialects, children are made aware of them in school and none of this contributes to any breakdown of greater national consciousness or deterioration of literacy in standard Italian.

I do get a feeling that awareness of Scots as a legitimate dialect has increased since I was young but that's purely anecdotal.

I think it is but people get more hung up trying to define what it is than using it and celebrating our bairns amazing code switching abilities. 

The correct answer is of course it was a language therefore it is a language but what is spoken as a living language today is an English/Scots creole. But that doesn't really satisfy the Scots activists or the detractors 

17 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

17 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:
17 hours ago, hk blues said:
My folks used the expression "ben the hoose" and it meant in another room in the house i.e. if we were in the kitchen my mother would say "Your father's ben the hoose" meaning in the living room.

The Broons holiday house, the but'n'ben, was a two room cottage. The but was the front room, the ben was the back room

Cheers, my old dear wasn't talking shite after all, at least not on this occasion. 

16 hours ago, coprolite said:

Living and working in the southwest of the UK, i find most difficulty with words that southerners use but not necessarily in the same way.

Due to being fairly itinerant as a child i have regionally non-specific East coast Scots, so i wouldn't use the most localised idiosyncratic words anyway. 

For example, casually discussing living arrangements. i wouldn't say "bide" to a guffy. I have caused confusion with "so you stay with your parents?" to which the incorrect resonses received are "erm, no, i live with them" or "sometimes, if i'm visiting". 

I'll keep trying to educate these thick c***s, don't worry. 

I can understand though, I'd use stay for a temporary situation and live for a permanent one.

The Norwegian word for vacuum cleaner is stovsuger and is pronounced stoor sooker!

Similarly, hospital is sykehus (pronounced sick hoose)

Exit is utgang (gang oot in Doric)

Brygge, Kirk etc are all the same as Doric

16 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

do people still clip kids and tell them to speak properly if they use it?