Scottish Accents/ Dialects

In WW1 the Germans got British PoWs to record themselves speaking to try and capture different accents which you can find here https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/Berliner-Lautarchiv-British-and-Commonwealth-recordings/021M-C1315X0001XX-0440V0 and search by county
Ayrshire and Glagow are pretty fascinating in that they could be from Angus or Fife. Seems to be much less variation between all central belt accents then than there is now.
Presumably Irish influence on Glasgow and surrounds and Dundee accounting for the much more distinct accents now.

It’s certainly the case that Central Belt dialects have changed a lot in living memory. My grandad (b. 1922) for example would use ‘coo’ - and the covered terrace at Cappielow was often known as ‘the Cooshed’ - which now sounds like something out of a Broons strip. It’s probable that the mass teuchter emigration into such a sprawling centre of industrial might like Greater Greenock shaped language patterns as much as the more well known Irish influence. Since Scots became an acceptable and increasingly fashionable voice in mass media from the 1970s (?) though the Glasgow dialect and language has expanded massively into the surrounding regions. Greater Greenock still has some uncommon terms such as ‘galoshans’ and, of course, the slice roll, but I don’t detect any difference in speech until you either go beyond the Castlecary viaduct or cross into the bumpkin bandit country known as ‘Ayrshire’.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

It’s certainly the case that Central Belt dialects have changed a lot in living memory. My grandad (b. 1922) for example would use ‘coo’ - and the covered terrace at Cappielow was often known as ‘the Cooshed’ - which now sounds like something out of a Broons strip. It’s probable that the mass teuchter emigration into such a sprawling centre of industrial might like Greater Greenock shaped language patterns as much as the more well known Irish influence. Since Scots became an acceptable and increasingly fashionable voice in mass media from the 1970s (?) though the Glasgow dialect and language has expanded massively into the surrounding regions. Greater Greenock still has some uncommon terms such as ‘galoshans’ and, of course, the slice roll, but I don’t detect any difference in speech until you either go beyond the Castlecary viaduct or cross into the bumpkin bandit country known as ‘Ayrshire’.

The "err" thing always puzzled me when I worked there.

Down there being Doon err.

The hare ran up the stairs would be the herr ran up the sterr etc.

I also remember the slice thing, we would have asked for "square sausage please" or even "steak sausage" but I soon learned that I needed to request a "roll on slice" to acquire my target.

The other major one I can remember is sandwiches / peaces being referred to as "Chits", it took a long while to understand when I was asked "whit you goat on yer Chits".

Yes, different world indeed..........

41 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

From Helensburgh through Greenock to the northern boundary of Beith, east through Paisley, Glasgow to Newhouse and North & South Lanarkshire.. this a pure, akshuw Ken-free zone, by the way, n'at.

40 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

FTFY, ken.

Err ye go, bois.

I'm from Shetland and now live in the Netherlands and yeah, there's definitely some hints of Dutch in Shetland dialect.

There are definitely advantages having a Scottish accent when learning Dutch, the hard G is very similar to the "ch" sound in Loch

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

There are definitely advantages having a Scottish accent when learning Dutch, the hard G is very similar to the "ch" sound in Loch

That's true for slavic languages too. I had a much easier time of it learning Polish than my English mates did because of 'ch' sounds and hard vowels and 'r's.

My English pals knew what they should be saying, but had a hard time pronouncing things properly. If you've got a Scottish accent, pronouncing Polish is relatively straightforward. You just need to learn the correlation with the spelling and off you go.

Edited by JTS98

49 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's true for slavic languages too. I had a much easier time of it learning Polish than my English mates did because of 'ch' sounds and hard vowels and 'r's.

My English pals knew what they should be saying, but had a hard time pronouncing things properly. If you've got a Scottish accent, pronouncing Polish is relatively straightforward. You just need to learn the correlation with the spelling and off you go.

FWIW, I frequently work with somebody who has a hybrid Polish-Edinburgh accent, which is both mental and a pleasure to hear.

Tbf, I think any foreign accent infected by the occasional Scottish twang after a while of being here is always good fun to listen to.  :) 

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

FWIW, I frequently work with somebody who has a hybrid Polish-Edinburgh accent, which is both mental and a pleasure to hear.

Tbf, I think any foreign accent infected by the occasional Scottish twang after a while of being here is always good fun to listen to.  :) 

Aye. I knew a boy in Poland who had spent time working and living in Falkirk. It was hilarious.

He spoke English with a mostly-Polish accent, but would throw in things like 'Aye, mate, I go to Scotland next week to see my wee bairn'. It was an absolute joy. :)

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:31, Hillonearth said:

You can almost pinpoint where the Ken Zone begins in some areas....punters from Shotts have got a definite Lanarkshire accent and will say "know", but in Fauldhouse two or three miles east we're generally into Ken territory.

The distinctness of accents increases the further you get from the city - accents in the likes of EK, Motherwell and Hamilton are more or less indistinguishable from Glaswegian maybe the odd local word excepted, but once you get out to the likes of Lanark itself it sounds a lot different.

Likewise, folk from north Ayrshire towns like Kilwinning and Kilbirnie essentially sound like slightly countrified Glaswegians, but once you get into the East Ayrshire hinterland it becomes a bit more exotic...

"Open yir een ref and book the number seeven...."

aye, my grandparents lived in Lanark...we were from Falkirk. Anytime we went to visit I go out to play football with my cousin who lived there and I had no idea what a lot of folk were saying. One that sticks out was calling a car a .. "corrrr", that really used to confuse me..  

6 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The "err" thing always puzzled me when I worked there.

Down there being Doon err.

The hare ran up the stairs would be the herr ran up the sterr etc.

That surely can't be unusual: it's just removing the 'th' sound from the start of some commonly used words: 'there' becomes 'err', that' becomes 'at'. It's similar to removing the t sound from the end of words which is widespread in Scots and even northern English dialects.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Correct. It looks complicated with all the consonants, but once you grasp the basic rz, cz, ch, sz pronunciations the language opens up. I'm still relatively shit at engaging in conversations but good in mealtime situations.

My proudest moment came in being able to translate horseradish sauce to a Polish waitress in Forfar

Correct. It looks complicated with all the consonants, but once you grasp the basic rz, cz, ch, sz pronunciations the language opens up. I'm still relatively shit at engaging in conversations but good in mealtime situations.
My proudest moment came in being able to translate horseradish sauce to a Polish waitress in Forfar
Dupek [emoji12]

I've always been baffled by the talk on here about circles/roundabouts in Dundee. I don't think I've ever heard someone call a roundabout a circle. Maybe I just instinctively don't associate with the type of people who would do such a thing.

35 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I've always been baffled by the talk on here about circles/roundabouts in Dundee. I don't think I've ever heard someone call a roundabout a circle. Maybe I just instinctively don't associate with the type of people who would do such a thing.

Do you have ears? From West End to  Whitfield everyone calls it a circle