Queens v Dunfermline

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Unchallenged because the defender isn't alert doesn't go with him like he should. 

The pitch never looks good on telly,  or "in the flesh"  to be fair.  It's been down a few years now,  actually a replacement for an even worse looking one if that's possible.  If these pitches have a working life of 5 or 6 years it's bound to be due for replacement soon,  whether we've got the finances to do that I've no idea.  It's maybe not used as much as some artificial pitches so may last a bit longer. 

True AJ has his faults but it doesn't take a great manager to get players to make normal defensive runs. A bit on on field accountability it required, although I understand it was a makeshift defence which won't help.

I think you can get grants if it's used as a community pitch which obviously shorteners its life.

6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If these pitches have a working life of 5 or 6 years it's bound to be due for replacement soon,  whether we've got the finances to do that I've no idea.  It's maybe not used as much as some artificial pitches so may last a bit longer. 

It's used a Hell of a lot, as far as I'm aware.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

True AJ has his faults but it doesn't take a great manager to get players to make normal defensive runs. A bit on on field accountability it required, although I understand it was a makeshift defence which won't help.

I think you can get grants if it's used as a community pitch which obviously shorteners its life.

I don't blame the Manager for players not doing the basics of defending.  Just looked at your screen shot there and two players,  Kidd and another are not picking  up anybody,  one should have maybe been on the near post to cut down the chances of the near post header. 

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely should've been a penalty for handball, referee didn't have a great game. 

He certainly shit it in dealing with Dunfermline players when he awarded our penalty,  running away instead of standing firm and dealing with the aggressive players in his face.  Whether it was a penalty or not that behaviour was OTT. 

Yep, I was wrong at the time. That’s definitely a penalty for handball.

That free-kick awarded for diving from Comrie in the 2nd half is laughable too. As much as it wasn’t an infringement, he’s trying to get out the way from being body checked by the player. Referee was on ket or something yesterday.

25 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Yep, I was wrong at the time. That’s definitely a penalty for handball.

That free-kick awarded for diving from Comrie in the 2nd half is laughable too. As much as it wasn’t an infringement, he’s trying to get out the way from being body checked by the player. Referee was on ket or something yesterday.

Agree about the penalty but that was a dive and deserved a booking IMO

56 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely should've been a penalty for handball, referee didn't have a great game. 

No chance, he’s got no time to move out of the way. Would have been a even softer pen than the one Queens got.

Literally all of the goals in the game were dreadful defending. For Queens, their number 3 not even jumping with Ashcroft is a fucking disgrace.

What a horrible standard of football all round.

Restarts - we get plenty of practice but is there actually have a plan. It seems to be pass back to centre half and play long into the corner before any of our players get anywhere near. Maybe idea is defender has to head ball forward and pick up second ball. Compare that with pars restarts, by time ball gets played forward attackers are there to compete.

1st goal - worse than I thought at the time as we failed to respond 3 times as ball was there to be attacked, seemed to be on the backfoot each time and not quick enough to respond

2nd goal if Lyon hadn't left near post he would have blocked goal

3rd goal - any kind of jump from Holt would have made it more difficult for Ashcroft

Defending corners - our keeper has no chance coming for the ball as blocked by an attacker and usually a defender right in front of him

We definitely should have had a penalty for handball. The rule changes this season on handball are absolute horseshit and I don't think that sort of thing should be a foul, but under this season's wording of law 12, it definitely is. On the penalty he did give, I was pretty certain at the time it wasn't a foul but wanted another look - from that angle on the highlights I don't think it's that clear one way or the other.

On reflection I think the ref got their penalty spot on actually, Ashcroft cleans him out just before getting the penalty. We should have had a penalty with Paton handballing it but how unprofessional was it of our players to crowd the ref when the ball is still in play 🤣 collective rush of blood to the head, glad we didn't pay for it.

Mentions of Ashcroft climbing on his marker for our 3rd. Murray is getting impeded at the back post as well so it's swings and roundabouts with that type of thing.

First corner - Dobbie takes as much blame as anyone else. The man who crossed it was his responsibility and he got there too late. The shitshow then ensued in the middle. How a big centre forward gets a free header in there is baffling. He completely messes it up yet we still don't react first.

Second - Wilson is too late but I'm more annoyed that Pybus abandons the post. Why? If he stays on it that's cleared comfortably.

Third - I think that's a clear foul on Holt tbh. He never jumped because there's no chance he'd have been able to.

Our penalty is laughable. Ashcroft is on the deck and Dobbs falls over the top of him. As for the Pars penalty claim, I won't even lie, I have no clue what this new rule is tbh and the inconsistency with decisions don't help. For me, Paton has no chance of moving his arm out the way, his arm isn't giving him an advantage, it's not deliberate and it's in a natural position. For me you can't give that but I don't know what determines it now.

Really frustrating viewing and when you consider Dunfermline did little of note in an attacking threat outwith the corners then it makes it even more infuriating that we lose 3 goals from 3 corners.

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

First corner - Dobbie takes as much blame as anyone else. The man who crossed it was his responsibility and he got there too late. The shitshow then ensued in the middle. How a big centre forward gets a free header in there is baffling. He completely messes it up yet we still don't react first.

Second - Wilson is too late but I'm more annoyed that Pybus abandons the post. Why? If he stays on it that's cleared comfortably.

Third - I think that's a clear foul on Holt tbh. He never jumped because there's no chance he'd have been able to.

Our penalty is laughable. Ashcroft is on the deck and Dobbs falls over the top of him. As for the Pars penalty claim, I won't even lie, I have no clue what this new rule is tbh and the inconsistency with decisions don't help. For me, Paton has no chance of moving his arm out the way, his arm isn't giving him an advantage, it's not deliberate and it's in a natural position. For me you can't give that but I don't know what determines it now.

Really frustrating viewing and when you consider Dunfermline did little of note in an attacking threat outwith the corners then it makes it even more infuriating that we lose 3 goals from 3 corners.

I take it I'm the only one who thinks our penalty is an absolute stonewaller then? Ashcroft slides in front of Dobbie, doesn't get anything on the ball and brings him down. I don't see how that's anything other than a penalty?

I agree the third is a clear foul on Holt and should have been ruled out. Ashcroft has both arms on him pinning him down. I don't understand why there isn't more protest from our team, and particularly Holt though.

The first goal is a horror of errors all over the place. Starting with Dobbie not tracking his man and allowing a free cross into the box as you say. Afolabi runs off the front of Holt who doesn't track him at all and he gets a free header. McGill gets lucky the rebound goes straight to him though.

On the 2nd Pybus doesn't abandon the post, he's never on it. Whether he should have been is another question. He's watching the near post area though and steps out to try to intercept the ball. Devine, who is already running though gets there first. A man on the post probably stops it of course.

Two really bad home results in a row sadly.

Pybus wasn't clinging to the post no but he was clearly in that position to man the area. Even if he stayed in his original position I expect he'd clear it. I just think Dobbie is never getting the ball and uses Ashcroft to try and buy a penalty. It works but I'd be absolutely furious if we lost a penalty like that. Yeah I did wonder why Holt never complained but then again, if the ref hasn't seen it and Holt goes mad all he's going to get by protesting is a possible yellow card.

I thought both Devine and Wilson were excellent yesterday.I can’t recall Pars creating any decent chances from open play in either half and both players distributed the ball well from the back. Keeper didn’t have a save to make of any note. That said we conceded 3 goals from 12 corners. According to the stats a team can realistically expect to score one goal for every 75 corners won so to concede 3 in one game takes some doing even by our standards.

The Manager had only really 12 players to pick from today - I am not quite getting this overwhelming criticism of the selection as if he had countless obvious alternatives at his disposal. He could have picked Semple, moved Wilson forward and sacrificed either Oliver or one of the other midfielders to accommodate him. The defence would certainly have been a lot less mobile with Semple in there but his aerial presence might have helped us defend the corners better. I would prefer Hamilton through the middle but the long diagonal ball was a good ploy in first half against Comrie so that tactic was well planned.

There is no doubt that a major re- think on defending set pieces is required. These are such cheap goals to lose - Semple may be the answer but the lack of leadership and general organisation amongst the players themselves is at the heart of the problem. Manager must also take his share of responsibility for this.

Home record is truly awful and has been for several years. Seeing your team repeatedly capitulate tamely is not a recipe for increased support. Wins required urgently starting next Saturday.