St Johnstone v Celtic, Wednesday 29/01/20

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I thought it was the councils with Forfar using it as well my mistake.

You thought a pitch 100 yards from McDiarmid Park, with St Johnstone logos all over the surrounding fence, and on land owned by St Johnstone, was owned by the council?

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

No I don’t accept it. I go to games but I can see how the experience could be better. I love the away days on the piss at Dens, Tynecastle, Easter Road and can’t wait for Ayr away next week.

But I also enjoy the football as the event itself, and it doesn’t always have to be part of a bigger day out as you maybe look for.

If we end up making big money off any of our good younger players, I’d like to see us spend a lot of money on McDiarmid. More catering areas, supporters lounges, bars, decent areas in each stand for folk to sit or hang about before and after matches, areas for kids in Ormond and main stand etc

But are the club really going to invest a million or two when hardly anyone other than 2000 hardcore fans can be arsed coming to watch the team during our most successful ever spell.  Bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

I think you make a lot of good points and it’s really hard to see how the club can improve the general feeling of malaise amongst the fans just now, and I’m doubtful a fan zone is the answer, especially in the winter months. It might be something which can be implemented in the summer months to improve the atmosphere a bit though. 

I think you see with the backlash to jamamafegan’s comments that there is a large element of ‘happy-clapper’ in the Saints support. The type of person who hates any sort of criticism of the club or team. I remember criticising the team’s shite performance against that Trakai mob and the happy clappers went mental. 

There are a number of factors for the lack of growth in the support despite our success, it’s hard to pin it down to one thing. Some of it is down to the club’s inaction over many years and how it seems to modernise at such a snail’s pace. For example, I can’t make it to every game as I play football on a Saturday, but have had season tickets in the past. I’m apparently not on any sort of database and am never contacted regarding tickets for games, renewals and so on. I think this kind of thing should be part of the club’s marketing strategy. In comparison to other teams, Saints seem to have totally lost the guy in his 20s/30s demographic. I used to know loads of folk my age that would go to games and now they all just have a passing interest or only go to the bigger away games.

I don’t see how people can disagree with jamamafegan’s comments surrounding the match day experience. It can feel like a chore traipsing all the way to an industrial estate on the other side of Perth, to pay £24 to sit in an atmosphere less stadium to witness a 0-0 draw with St Mirren in the freezing cold. 

To be honest I have no idea what the answer is, but I don’t think slaughtering guys who are trying to propose or think about solutions is very helpful. There’ll come a point where we inevitably get relegated and won’t be able to suck the old firm off anymore to stay afloat. We need to be trying to build our own fanbase.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You thought a pitch 100 yards from McDiarmid Park, with St Johnstone logos all over the surrounding fence, and on land owned by St Johnstone, was owned by the council?

It's not unusual for the council to own the surrounding areas of a football ground.
Celtic have ongoing problems with this.

Just now, tree house tam said:

St Johnstone own everything that is fenced off, car parks, training pitches and astroturf, it's not hard to understand. 

Aye, but Celtic.

44 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I think you make a lot of good points and it’s really hard to see how the club can improve the general feeling of malaise amongst the fans just now, and I’m doubtful a fan zone is the answer, especially in the winter months. It might be something which can be implemented in the summer months to improve the atmosphere a bit though. 

I think you see with the backlash to jamamafegan’s comments that there is a large element of ‘happy-clapper’ in the Saints support. The type of person who hates any sort of criticism of the club or team. I remember criticising the team’s shite performance against that Trakai mob and the happy clappers went mental. 

There are a number of factors for the lack of growth in the support despite our success, it’s hard to pin it down to one thing. Some of it is down to the club’s inaction over many years and how it seems to modernise at such a snail’s pace. For example, I can’t make it to every game as I play football on a Saturday, but have had season tickets in the past. I’m apparently not on any sort of database and am never contacted regarding tickets for games, renewals and so on. I think this kind of thing should be part of the club’s marketing strategy. In comparison to other teams, Saints seem to have totally lost the guy in his 20s/30s demographic. I used to know loads of folk my age that would go to games and now they all just have a passing interest or only go to the bigger away games.

I don’t see how people can disagree with jamamafegan’s comments surrounding the match day experience. It can feel like a chore traipsing all the way to an industrial estate on the other side of Perth, to pay £24 to sit in an atmosphere less stadium to witness a 0-0 draw with St Mirren in the freezing cold. 

To be honest I have no idea what the answer is, but I don’t think slaughtering guys who are trying to propose or think about solutions is very helpful. There’ll come a point where we inevitably get relegated and won’t be able to suck the old firm off anymore to stay afloat. We need to be trying to build our own fanbase.

Very fair post Bonksy.

You’re right, the club should never be above criticism where it’s justified. I think most on here criticise the club where they feel it’s due.

And jama is right to voice his opinion on the match day experience, otherwise how will the club know if folk don’t speak up.

I also agree with you about Saints massively missing that 20-30 year old age group. It’s possibly a factor in the atmosphere not being that great from Saints.  Compare the normal away support to next weeks and how rowdy it’s going to be as an example..

But it’s the way it’s portrayed that accepting this 3 stand thing means folk are happy with it. It’s absolutely shite we have to do it, every one of us that goes would rather it was packed with Saints fans, some of us even remember when that was the case even for big games in the division below.  But we probably just see the opportunity for the club to sell seats that are sitting empty and be able to afford a better team on the park.

I 100% get why Saints fans wouldn’t want to go to matches with the OF, whether ST holders or pay per game: massively outnumbered in your own ground, the choice of songs, the scummy behaviour around the ground, decisions generally going against you, and obviously the likelihood of Saints getting humped.  

But it then feels a wee bit idealistic/ hypocritical to be criticising the club for selling tickets to away fans for a game that they themselves would never attend, and it doesn’t affect them in anyway at all.

Your point about the database is spot on and seems to get raised regularly.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We have a plastic pitch about 100 yards from the stadium that is rented out yearly by the club.

Yeah I was responding to WCW's earlier comment, am aware you have one outside the stadium, we played Alloa in the Petrofac cup final at your ground a few years back and I was wandering about on it where there was pre match events to entertain the fans.

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Livi ordered and paid towards their pitch long before their late surge to win promotion, apparently they wouldn’t have if they’d known.

We'd been trying to get one for a few years before but had to get it past the Council. Not so sure we'd have cancelled it had we known we were getting promoted, what concerned John Ward was not knowing if the Premiership would still allow us to have one, with there being talk of them being banned from the top flight, but Doncaster assured him it was ok, after he spoke to him post match at the play off final at the Partick th game. 

He had prev spoken about how nothing went on at the stadium through the week and had been trying to get the artificial pitch laid so we could rent it out for a while before he finally got it all sorted to do so. We were also losing money when games were postponed and had to be played midweek, with a lower attendance. Plus our grass pitch was a state, always having work done to it each season but still cutting up with big divots all over the place, and problems with drainage every time it rained heavily, as well as a section that was a problem with the frost, because it didn't get thawed out with the stand shielding it from the sun.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I went up to get a ticket for the Rangers game a the start of the season.
Are you on the database ?
Yes.
No your not and can’t get a ticket.
But I’ve filled in the joining sheet umpteen times.
I went up yesterday and low and behold I still wasn’t on it and called them out for being absolute amateurs who couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.
There was not even an apology for them messing up a simple task.
You would think once you’re on it you would be getting some kind of feedback from the club.
The ticket office up there seem to be some kind of protected species .

Spoiler

Agree with all of that. It's not black and white 'moaner vs happy clapper', I think most of us see the grey areas. The club do some things well, some things badly. 

The 'match experience' seems to be a thing for some, less so for me, but that doesn't mean it's not valid.  Yes a selection of good pubs in staggering distance to the ground would be great but that's only available in city or town centre grounds. 

That's not to say that so much more could be done, especially local marketing and digital. We could also do with some visible, charismatic players and people around the club to create news and stories. 

Maybe one way to attract people is to invest to make the place a destintation. Daft examples maybe but the new Spurs stadium has an on-site brewery, and the Altlata Falcons have a massive video screen that circles the inside of the ground. Don't shoot these down for being unworkable - I'm not proposing in any way that they are options- I'm just saying that something unique and a bit different could help to bring people down. Heated seats are not uncommon now in cold weather venues, loads of folk won't go when it's too cold.  I know fanswith very young kids that don't/can't go to the game because they have to look after them - offer a creche/playgroup on match days? 

I'd settle for catering that takes card payment, not running out of pies at every game and TVs that actually work. Relatively basic upgrades like heated seats or a decent video screen seems like the stuff of dreams. 

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah I was responding to WCW's earlier comment, am aware you have one outside the stadium, we played Alloa in the Petrofac cup final at your ground a few years back and I was wandering about on it where there was pre match events to entertain the fans.

There was 5-a-side parks outside Livvies ground years ago  remember winning a tourney on them.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Moving the games from weekends so much is making it difficult for me to justify my season ticket. Last night I didn’t travel, not because of the stands, but because the game was on tv and I was working today.

The only things I want from my matchday experience are Saints playing well and Saints winning.